• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help 2.5 Years Later - Still Learning Latex

Brands Imaging

HP 330

So I'm trying to print this lexjet/york wallcovering material. It's a thick canvas that has a linen texture to it but for some reason I keep getting banding on one side of the material. (the far side away from the "capping station")

So I switched to 12 pass instead of 10 and it helped with the banding but my color came out EXTREMELY different. Actually, it came out less saturated which is odd. The ink saturation is relatively similar with the 10 pass at 110% and the 12 pass at 120%. I'm still getting the banding with the 12 pass but it does look better.

While I was printing the 10 pass I did a feed adjustment on the fly and reduced it from 0 to -2.5 to -5.0 (just to see what would happen) and there wasn't much change. I'm using an ultraflex wallcovering profile.

Attachments

• IMG_3926 (1).JPG
    IMG_3926 (1).JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3927 (1).JPG
    IMG_3927 (1).JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 294
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Asuma01

Changing how many passes the printer does on a premade media profile is 100% your problem imo. Profiles are made with a set # of passes in mind. If you want more passes then you need to rebuild your profile. It's not something you should change or you will experience color shifts. (Yes, sometimes you can get away without any negative drawbacks.)

Brands Imaging

Changing how many passes the printer does on a premade media profile is 100% your problem imo. Profiles are made with a set # of passes in mind. If you want more passes then you need to rebuild your profile. It's not something you should change or you will experience color shifts. (Yes, sometimes you can get away without any negative drawbacks.)

I understand what you're saying but coming from a solvent world this just makes no sense....more passes....more ink....not LESS DENSITY....

Okay.... so lets say I keep this thing at 10 pass and I already reduced the advanced factor to -5.0 (out of a possible -10.0) - Now what do I do??
Client already approved a color so I have to stick close to that color. I'm using flexi and I don't know how to make custom profiles.

Asuma01

I agree that you wouldn't think that it should behave that way. But there is a lot of stuff going on "under the hood" of a media profile. Sometimes making even what seems like a simple change can have drastic effects.
Just to cover your bases have you switched back to 10 pass to make sure its still printing correctly? There is always a chance that something else went wrong that isn't related to changing it to 12 pass. How old are your print heads? Have you rebooted the computer that runs the rip? Have you checked the color values in the rip to make sure it hasn't changed on the software end? Tried reripping the file under the changed (12pass)profile?
When is the last time you tested/updated your printhead alignment? Don't use the auto alignment, use the manual alignment(hope you have a magnifying glass for that).

tomence

My HP L260 has a built in i1 spectrophotometer and i am using that to build all my media profiles and it works wonders, I had no idea that my printer came with it until somebody from here mentioned it. See if yours has one, that way you can use Caldera or Onyx or whatever RIP you have to build yourself some media profiles.
As to your question, I always had trouble printing on wall paper media, I don't know why but i get banding most of the time. I get good prints on vinyl but not on wall paper(any media)

Brands Imaging

I agree that you wouldn't think that it should behave that way. But there is a lot of stuff going on "under the hood" of a media profile. Sometimes making even what seems like a simple change can have drastic effects.
Just to cover your bases have you switched back to 10 pass to make sure its still printing correctly? There is always a chance that something else went wrong that isn't related to changing it to 12 pass. How old are your print heads? Have you rebooted the computer that runs the rip? Have you checked the color values in the rip to make sure it hasn't changed on the software end? Tried reripping the file under the changed (12pass)profile?
When is the last time you tested/updated your printhead alignment? Don't use the auto alignment, use the manual alignment(hope you have a magnifying glass for that).

- I did go back to the 10 pass and we're still good with that color
- print heads are under 1000ml
- did re rip
- I always do "optimize print quality" when going from vinyl to a textile or different substrate

Brands Imaging

My HP L260 has a built in i1 spectrophotometer and i am using that to build all my media profiles and it works wonders, I had no idea that my printer came with it until somebody from here mentioned it. See if yours has one, that way you can use Caldera or Onyx or whatever RIP you have to build yourself some media profiles.
As to your question, I always had trouble printing on wall paper media, I don't know why but i get banding most of the time. I get good prints on vinyl but not on wall paper(any media)

Thanks for your response - I don't have the spectrometer, thats the 360 but we have a 570 on the way

bulldozer

- I did go back to the 10 pass and we're still good with that color
- print heads are under 1000ml
- did re rip
- I always do "optimize print quality" when going from vinyl to a textile or different substrate

i've only been using latex for about 1.5 years and from what i know, they made these simple to run for everyday people, so customizing settings can be cumbersome and you waste a lot of material vs a traditional solvent printer. all i can say is test test test.

AKwrapguy

What about vacuum levels? heat levels? Optimizer? We just picked up two 570's and the profile customization is amazing. You can tweak almost everything.

dypinc

What about vacuum levels? heat levels? Optimizer? We just picked up two 570's and the profile customization is amazing. You can tweak almost everything.

Profile customization? Are you saying you can adjust black generation and ink splits, etc?

Or are you calling the Media Presets profiles for some reason?

AKwrapguy

In the media profiles you can adjust the presets for just about everything on the printer itself through the on board menu. Not sure what 'inks splits' are?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
The 570 has been a great seller at ISA, we moved quite a few on both days and still have today, I was just hoping to move 1 but something a little strange is happening at ISA and I don't know what it is but this year has been drastically different, so many buyers wanting to actually purchase on the spot, it has been great for probably all the guys but I have been super impressed with this years show so far. Met a lot of you also so thanks for stopping by to say hello!

chafro

I understand what you're saying but coming from a solvent world this just makes no sense....more passes....more ink....not LESS DENSITY....

Okay.... so lets say I keep this thing at 10 pass and I already reduced the advanced factor to -5.0 (out of a possible -10.0) - Now what do I do??
Client already approved a color so I have to stick close to that color. I'm using flexi and I don't know how to make custom profiles.

The number of passes doesn't change the amount of ink dropped, it's not related. It's just gives it more time to dry. It would only change if the profiles are different on ink restrictions and the icc profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HulkSmash

Some odd responses here.

We have 5 latex machines and that is a very odd issue.

And FYI more passes does lay more ink, im not sure why other people are saying otherwise.

But it does look like a profile issue that has to do with heat. I wish i could help more but i have 0 experience with that material - i would call the manufacture and ask if they have a profile for latex machines. Either that or play with more of the textile profiles.

Good Luck.

chafro

It does not drop more ink. HP academy technician told us and My rip confirms the same thing. Both on the small latex as our LX850.

Does you rip measure the ink dropped per print? You can confirm it there.

Most people think it does.

If you have same profile with more passes you use the same amount of ink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sonia

HP 330

So I'm trying to print this lexjet/york wallcovering material. It's a thick canvas that has a linen texture to it but for some reason I keep getting banding on one side of the material. (the far side away from the "capping station")

So I switched to 12 pass instead of 10 and it helped with the banding but my color came out EXTREMELY different. Actually, it came out less saturated which is odd. The ink saturation is relatively similar with the 10 pass at 110% and the 12 pass at 120%. I'm still getting the banding with the 12 pass but it does look better.

While I was printing the 10 pass I did a feed adjustment on the fly and reduced it from 0 to -2.5 to -5.0 (just to see what would happen) and there wasn't much change. I'm using an ultraflex wallcovering profile.
You can search the profile in the Media Solution Locator. See how in the Latex Knowledge Center: HP Media Solution Locator, explore the new look and feel!