• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2 Recent Projects

hcardwell93

Project 1: LED light cabinet
I made this sign from drops and extra material hanging around the shop. I welded up a steel frame, and riveted on ACP as I don't have a brake and shear for .040 aluminum yet. 1.25" aluminum angle iron created the retainer. Inside are some clearance Agilight Apex G1 modules with a Bebrite power supply and a photo cell.

Project 2: Hand carved sign
A chiropractor hired me to create a sign for her new lobby. Her main criteria was that the sign needed to have some dimension and depth to it.

I started with 3/4" HDU and laid down a template. I took a hand held router and removed 1/4" of material from the brown area, leaving the tail of the P raised. I rough cut the letters out on a scroll saw, using a spiral blade to get inside the small areas of the Vitruvian man. Followed by a little bit of work with a file and some sandpaper it was ready for paint.

I made a mistake using some Zinnser primer to start. It dries a bit rubbery and is hard to get smooth. I got a can of Jay Cooke's Sign Primer and 2 coats later I had a nicer surface to work with. The Stillpoint lettering is Rustoleum metallic copper spray paint, and the other colors are Sherwin Williams interior latex.

The sign is mounted to the wall via a French cleat. The client is very happy with the final product.

2B

Nice job, I really like the stillpoint sign :thumb:

agree the stillpoint came out clean.
the only point is the "dots" over the "i" especially on the inside, would have liked to seen them without the rod

the gun sign is a great example of how customizable signs are and what you can achieve by simply brainstorming

hcardwell93

agree the stillpoint came out clean.
the only point is the "dots" over the "i" especially on the inside, would have liked to seen them without the rod

the gun sign is a great example of how customizable signs are and what you can achieve by simply brainstorming
Thanks for the feedback!

I was struggling to find a better solution for the i dots with the bricks being uneven. Do you have an idea how to make that happen?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thanks for the feedback!

I was struggling to find a better solution for the i dots with the bricks being uneven. Do you have an idea how to make that happen?

Short of putting studs into the bricks, not sure how you'd accomplish that. Maybe clear acrylic rods or a similar material so it's not as obvious? Just spit ballin'.

Looks great, by the way. How much total labor did you have in the Stillpoint sign?

2B

Thanks for the feedback!

for uneven surfaces, we found that using stop nuts or small pads work the best especially when you have smaller rocks like you have.
This way you can adjust the stop nut to ensure all items are on the same plane when viewed from the side and this also keeps you from have to grind down any stones that stick out.

hcardwell93

I had 5 hours sculpting the foam. And probably around 4 hours for painting.

Short of putting studs into the bricks, not sure how you'd accomplish that. Maybe clear acrylic rods or a similar material so it's not as obvious? Just spit ballin'.

Looks great, by the way. How much total labor did you have in the Stillpoint sign?

hcardwell93

Thanks! Using pads never occurred to me.
for uneven surfaces, we found that using stop nuts or small pads work the best especially when you have smaller rocks like you have.
This way you can adjust the stop nut to ensure all items are on the same plane when viewed from the side and this also keeps you from have to grind down any stones that stick out.