• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2015 CorelDRAW International Design Contest entries are in!!!

Joe Diaz

The 2015 CorelDRAW International Design Contest is up and going. Be sure to check out the gallery of all the submissions this year. If you feel so inclined, login and rate your favorites.

I've submitted two designs in three different categories. One of the designs (BlastOff Betty) was submitted in the Advertising and specialty graphics but also as a speed drawing.

Check it out: http://community.coreldraw.com/…/2015_contest_advert…/229180

Here is the video: http://community.coreldraw.com/…/2015_contest_speedd…/229562

This is my submission for the Vehicle wraps category: http://community.coreldraw.com/…/2015_contest_vehicle/229253

rjssigns

WOW! Stellar work as always. How long did it take to render the van in Corel? I'd like to see a brief overview of the process if possible.

Joe Diaz

The van was done similar to how one would make any other vector vehicle illustration. I used a reference photo. In this case the important thing was to create one flat color shape for the main body of the van. Then all the highlights and shadows were drawn over top of that. I used the transparency tool on those shapes so that when I apply the graphics to the van illustration, the transparencies interact with those. To add the graphics to the illustration I powerclipped the design to that base main body shape. Then I used the perspective tool so that the design matches the angle of the van.

C

ColoPrinthead

Nice work :rock-n-roll: How long did it take to complete the Blast Off poster?

Joe Diaz

Hard to say on how much time was spent. Hours and hours and hours. I don't typically work on something like this straight through. I may spend 15 minutes here during a lunch break, or a half an hour after work... or an hour or two at home when I have some time. Also there was the video editing part of the project and the game portion that I built too. What I have done so far with the game including the coding, animation sprites, background etc.. probably took twice as long to make as the poster art did, and it only accounts for a few seconds of the video. Then at one point I had scrapped a previous version of the design to change the lettering and redesign Betty's outfit to be less revealing.

x2chris7x

Joe, seeing your work makes me feel as if I have zero talent.... Then I took a look at some of the other contest entries in various categories, and now I don't feel sooo bad. If you don't win something then there's serious a problem. Great work.

Absolutely jaw dropping! That video is so cool!
I'm not so sure I have the focus (and time) to take an idea and execute it to that degree.
Did you study anatomy at all? Just curious because everything is so proportional and realistic.

Inspiring & amazing as always Joe

Joe Diaz

Absolutely jaw dropping! That video is so cool!
I'm not so sure I have the focus (and time) to take an idea and execute it to that degree.
Did you study anatomy at all? Just curious because everything is so proportional and realistic.

Inspiring & amazing as always Joe

Thanks. I studied anatomy and life drawing in college, but in this case I did use reference images to do the initial sketch, then used the sketch to make the final vector illustration. Her body was initially posed using a 3d program called poser. I just use the basic female body that comes with the program. I like using poser because I can get the right angles I'm looking for. I can position everything even down to her fingers. I can even control the lighting. Think of it like a virtual wooden artists mannequin. Then I used a photo as a reference for her face. I take all of that and create sketch where I planned out her uniform hair etc... Then I take that sketch and work over top of that in vector.

Funny thing is, I actually got a bit of flak about her proportions not being realistic, especially her chest, early on when I was posting progress work. I got similar criticism for her first outfit I had designed. I did change that part. It's not exactly how I planned it, but I'm more than happy with how it turned out.