• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2015 Poll on sign estimating/production software

What estimating software do you use

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gene@mpls

We have used Estimate for a lot of years and I can no longer buy another seat or 2 for my version (before subscription days) it would seem and Mark
no longer responds to emails. I am handing over the shop to my daughter and a new partner and he is wondering if there is anything better (especially
in the production/control area) than Estimate... and I am welcoming a fresh look at a lot of things. I found a poll from 5 years ago but I would guess
that a lot of things/people have changed since then- so lets do another. Thanks Gene

CanuckSigns

We also use Estimate, I'm annoyed that they won't issue another seat for version 2.0 anymore, I have been planning on adding another seat for about a year now. We use estimate for pricing simple jobs like prints, pretty much everything else needs a bit more thought put into the pricing than a piece of software can handle.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Between QuickBooks, a pencil & paper, a calculator and a few minutes, that's all I need, just like Pat.

Nothing against the software programs that do this, but I have already figured out the easy ones and put them directly into QuickBooks for instant quotes. Anything that takes more than a few minutes...... I just run it a second time, but in reverse.

OADesign

QuickBooks > Cyriuos > Casper > SignVOX > QuickBooks.

As an end user and a trainer for most of the above. But when it come down to it, for me, its pencil paper ans QB all the way.

Nothing beats a paper trail. Yet.

dypinc

CreateABid and then enter that into Quickbooks seems to work pretty good and in not to time consuming or very expensive solution.

Since we do both signs, banners, and digital press printing I was hoping that Onestimate would go somewhere but seems it is vaporware.

Gene@mpls

We also use Estimate, I'm annoyed that they won't issue another seat for version 2.0 anymore, I have been planning on adding another seat for about a year now. We use estimate for pricing simple jobs like prints, pretty much everything else needs a bit more thought put into the pricing than a piece of software can handle.

I hear you- I would buy two more seats if I could. I have sent multiple emails with zero response. Kinda annoying. They used to have a phone #. Gene :banghead:

JJM7288

Cyrious Control, upgraded from Cyrious SMS.
We started with SMS in 2001, upgraded to Control in 2011. I'm embarrassed to admit it took a couple years to implement Control, once we dismissed our former General Manager we were able to get it done.
In my humble opinion and 27 years as an owner, Cyrious = Profit.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Between QuickBooks, a pencil & paper, a calculator and a few minutes, that's all I need, just like Pat.

Nothing against the software programs that do this, but I have already figured out the easy ones and put them directly into QuickBooks for instant quotes. Anything that takes more than a few minutes...... I just run it a second time, but in reverse.

Just to add to my previous post and along this same line, I do have standard items saved in quickbooks but without pricing. I still work all the numbers manually then just select the appropriate item and plug in the price. Doesn't really automate anything beyond having to enter the description every time, but allows me to track how much we're selling for each category. Just started doing that at year end so it will be interesting to see what it looks like at the end of September.

Exactly what I do. I tried estimate, and I use it occasionally, but I pretty much just think about how long it will take, figure materials, and add 10 or 15% for f.u.f. When I get the final # I decide if it is where I think it should be, and if I think it low, I will add extra to where I think it should be. ( I never drop my price, I only go up.) (say for instance I figure a 4' x 6' sandblasted sign to be $2300 in costs, but think it should sell for $4000, I will quote it to $3950, and then offer the customer a 5% discount. That way my costs are covered, the customer sees "discount", and they may think I'm giving them a deal, and order.)

jtinker

Owner
Exactly what I do. I tried estimate, and I use it occasionally, but I pretty much just think about how long it will take, figure materials, and add 10 or 15% for f.u.f. When I get the final # I decide if it is where I think it should be, and if I think it low, I will add extra to where I think it should be. ( I never drop my price, I only go up.) (say for instance I figure a 4' x 6' sandblasted sign to be $2300 in costs, but think it should sell for $4000, I will quote it to $3950, and then offer the customer a 5% discount. That way my costs are covered, the customer sees "discount", and they may think I'm giving them a deal, and order.)

That type of foresight was lost at the shops I worked at. We used cyrious and sometimes ended up charging $50 for cutting 24"x 24" piece of foamboard the customer brought in or $30 for installing 2 grommets in a banner that the customer got from us. Software is a great help I think but a lot of the times owners see only what is in the system and lose their commonsense.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not an avid Flex-I guy, but doesn't Flex-I have a quoting system within it's walls/clouds ??

DirtyD

I'm not an avid Flex-I guy, but doesn't Flex-I have a quoting system within it's walls/clouds ??

Flexi Sign Most version I think have a cost/estimate built in, it's not very effective, you input all of your materials and costs and after you have your design it gives a rundown of what it cost you from that design.. I've never really tried using it just looked at it a few times.. Then the cloud version as a basic version of SignTracker (cloud based)

HonosCorp

Try a demo of Honos Corp Workflow Software

Get your business automated, without all the extra emails, phone calls and chasing your customers down.....

The Honos Corp P3 Workflow Software was developed for the industry by people in the industry......
Get a free demo to run around in and test it out...
From start to finish every step from customer ordering, customer proofing, quoting, invoicing, to status changes, customer payments & way more....
Everything is integrated in to the software!
We eliminate over half of the run around and get your business streamlined so you can be efficient and make more money!

Adam
HonosCorp.com

HonosCorp

Try a demo of Honos Corp Workflow Software

Get your business started and growing quickly, without all the extra emails, phone calls and chasing your customers down.....

The Honos Corp P3 Workflow Software was developed for the industry by people in the industry......
Get a free demo to run around in and test it out...
From start to finish every step from customer ordering, customer proofing, quoting, invoicing, to status changes, customer payments & way more....
Everything is integrated in to the software!
We eliminate over half of the run around and get your business streamlined so you can be efficient and make more money!

Adam
HonosCorp.com

We have used Estimate for a lot of years and I can no longer buy another seat or 2 for my version (before subscription days) it would seem and Mark
no longer responds to emails. I am handing over the shop to my daughter and a new partner and he is wondering if there is anything better (especially
in the production/control area) than Estimate... and I am welcoming a fresh look at a lot of things. I found a poll from 5 years ago but I would guess
that a lot of things/people have changed since then- so lets do another. Thanks Gene

malayasigns

Custom built system?

Used Signimate + Quickbooks but getting ready to toss those two in favor of our own system custom built. Been working on it since early last year. Signimate i have to say is not worth the money and what was prompted me to make something better.

Besides being a Cyrious Software mouthpiece, Signindustry.com has a really nice article on the subject:
http://www.signindustry.com/estimat...n_Estimating_Using_Advanced_Technologies.php3

Just wondering if you were able to get your system up and running?
I have been running Signvox but hate it. Outgrew Estimate.
Interested in sharing?
Dave Forster

Gene@mpls

Interesting that this thread resurfaced. I wonder what happened to the Honos software person? Did anyone ever try his free trial? Gene

neil_se

I did a while back. I looked through the site for about 10 minutes and quickly realised that it didn't have 1/4 the functionality of Signvox.

Jwalk

I use the old school method . With the old school method I can also fit in how busy I am or how desperate I am.