• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions 25K Budget what printer??

Chase

New Printers for Christmas!
Hey new here but been reading for a few weeks now.

I have Fellers and Reece Supply getting me quotes on Mutoh 1624X and 1638X, Mimaki JV150-160, and OKI Data E-64s printers. If other printers exists in this price range do mention.
  • Goals 1 - High Quality and good colors > over print speed
  • 2 - Installed Products will be near children

Printing - Cast 20oz Wallcovering, Solvent Printable Flag, Rear-lit and Liquid Laminent for all wall covering

Workload - per week 1,000 to 3,000 sqft

Recommendations on all workflow are helpful.

equippaint

Im not all that knowledgeable but id be looking at the jv300 and not the 150 if youre trying to compare speed, quality the same. I think the E64 is still about twice as fast as the jv300 pulling from memory which fails me from time to time.

jayhawksigns

Know HP promotes the use of prints off of their latex printers in environments like hospitals where they insinuate that other print technologies are not allowed.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MikePro

I would go with HP Latex, if possible. Printer plus software will still keep you in the <$20k range. And service on these machines is just as easy as your desktop printer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why in the world will they be near children ?? You work out of their bedroom or something ?? Really...... if you are legitimately set up to run a business in your house, you can still have kids running around the place and your business insurance doesn't mind ?? Sounds a little odd. There has got to be sharp objects and safety restrictions, let alone OSHA that would prevent such measures, but to each their own. Probably flying under the radar in those areas, huh ??

I would not get any solvent or mild solvent printer, whatsoever. No matter what the salespeople tell you, those fumes are not good for adults, let alone young tissue in children's lungs and such. They are now making it illegal to use such printed material in school, hospitals and other places in which young tissue may be exposed....... and you want your own kids exposed to it right from the start each and every day ??

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If the printer will be around kids I would go with the latex machines. The solvents in the solvent based ink are particularly bad for children. MikePro is good resource for the latex machines.

MikePro

aye, we switched from solvent to latex a few years back. biggest upsell at the time was the fact it only emits water vapor, and the print is completely dry once it comes off the printer, no "outgassing" necessary before lamination. our office used to get "smoked-out" by solvent smell/fumes, even with an exhaust system installed. I'm sure the tech/ink-formulas are better nowadays, but if you're looking for the most "kid friendly" option, definitely go latex.

Whether it be HP or Mimaki or otherwise, I can only say good things about HP and look forward to upgrading my HP26500 next year.
I'm sure you can get a huge discount on any of the models between my generation and the newest one, as dealers are always looking to unload previous years' versions, but they're all excellent.
(would have done it this year, but just spent $250k at sign show on other toys for the shop)

Chase

Thanks Jayhawk! you are correct many of the wall covering will be for kids rooms as we own the rights to a large library of art.

I like the durability of Solvent how does it compare to Latex? and can we liquid lam over it for more protection from scratching off?

Most of our wall coverings will be on the wall 10 years +

InstantOneMedia

I second the HP recommendations. However, if you need to stick with solvent, I would suggest looking at the Epson SCS60600. They also have a Rewards program where if you spend X amount on Epson ink in a year, you get a free year of extended warranty up to 5 years. I can't recall the ink amount, but with your projected workload, you should hit that amount in the first few months.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, my mistake. At least you're not gonna do it at home with children around.

However, as I mentioned in my earlier post, more and more places are no longer allowing solvent based prints into their establishments, even if laminated. Seems some studies have been done and it's been found that these solvent and mild solvent prints continue to seep out odors and harmful fumes. When young tissue is exposed to this, it can cause harmful effects long-term.

I suppose it's the same theory like chemicals and such seeping out of plastic containers for drinking/food storage types.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Latex, pretty easy answer. I will send you to a Latex academy if you want, just so you can fully understand the solution they provide.

ForgeInc

We just posted an ad for an HP FB700 printer that is right in your price range. Great chance to get an entry level flatbed with a great reputation. Probably more printer than you're looking for, but it would allow for growth as well!

CanuckSigns

Well, my mistake. At least you're not gonna do it at home with children around.

However, as I mentioned in my earlier post, more and more places are no longer allowing solvent based prints into their establishments, even if laminated. Seems some studies have been done and it's been found that these solvent and mild solvent prints continue to seep out odors and harmful fumes. When young tissue is exposed to this, it can cause harmful effects long-term.

Do you have a source for this? One of our biggest clients is a childrens hospital, we do a ton of wall graphics for them on our Roland, never once have they even asked what ink type was used. The only concern is that they are laminated so they can be properly cleaned.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I personally don't have a source. I've been being told that more and more by others in the industry. However, a year ago, we were bidding on a job for a long hallway in a school and in the specs, it said it could not be any form of solvent inks used in the process, which on our flatbed is not, but the company who received the bid, does not have a safe type ink system. They said the laminate would stop it from off-gassing. That though, is not the case. I've heard this discussed elsewhere on this site, too.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have a customer who is doing exactly what the OP is doing. They had to have their product tested in a lab to make sure it wasn't harmful to children. The lab actually OK'ed the ink but the vinyl and laminate were denied. It turns out that most calendared vinyl has phthalate in them which is bad for kids in general. They had to switch to cast vinyl for everything.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a customer who is doing exactly what the OP is doing. They had to have their product tested in a lab to make sure it wasn't harmful to children. The lab actually OK'ed the ink but the vinyl and laminate were denied. It turns out that most calendared vinyl has phthalate in them which is bad for kids in general. They had to switch to cast vinyl for everything.

Many clients are going the PVC free way with Type II solutions on fabrics and papers.

Chase

Very interesting this makes sense.

1. What laminate passed any idea?
2. Id like to go with peel and stick and ditch the paste.
3. Whats a good laminate over a peel and stick to add durability?