• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question 3M Vinyl Consistent Problems

pistolcoulson

Hello, I have been using 3M IJ180 CV3 for about 7 years now and since late 2015 I have been having more and more instances of the same problem. I have posted pictures to hopefully help with the description but basically there are random areas where the backing will not stick and it seems like the bubble just moves down the air channel leaving lines of unstuck vinyl (see pic). Early on I contacted our suppliers and they contacted 3M who told them that the manufacturer who makes their adhesive had gone out of business and 3M was having trouble finding a new supplier. After a few returned rolls the problem eventually got better but for about 6 months now it is worse than ever. Another difference I am noticing is the reverse side (adhesive side) of the new rolls of vinyl have dark grey streaks in them where it used to be all a solid grey color (see pic). We are purchasing from 2 different vendors and are having the same problems from both. Anyway, has anyone else been having this problem? Also, what is another good option for long lasting outdoor vinyl to be applied to vehicles? Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_2414.jpg
    IMG_2414.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 433

jfiscus

Rap Master
Never had a problem with it sticking, but we get occaisional streaks.splatters/etc on the adhesive. it seems every roll's laminate is a varying degree of gray though.

AKwrapguy

I too have noticed the dark grey stripes or even drops on the back of the film recently and we get ours direct from 3m. I have not noticed an issue with performance yet.

As far as the 'runs' in the vinyl, I sometimes get these as well, mostly on the hoods of vehicles. In my experience I think that this happens when the air channels have been deformed or closed and the air becomes trapped.... unfortunately I have found nothing that completely fixes it. Even if you pull it up and hit it with heat the adhesive is still deformed and only time will let it correct it self. I have also noticed that this happens more with solvent prints (especially reds and blacks) than latex.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
The tiny lines looks like trapped air. I have that problem with 3m when there is a bubble and you press on it without poking it. It creates those lines. nothing new about that

WB

Those lines form when you trap air in the "air release" channels and try to force it out and end up stretching the channels to the point where adhesive won't adhere any more.
It's happened to me before I always thought of it as installer error rather then a defect in the vinyl.
I always try to be aware of where i'm forcing the air and make sure it has a way out.

I think it's an issue with the 3M air release pattern in general not the material. Everyone else uses a random grid type pattern that allows air to move in all directions. 3M's pattern forces air in only 2 directions which makes it alot easier to trap air.

Mason Grubb

Hello, I have been using 3M IJ180 CV3 for about 7 years now and since late 2015 I have been having more and more instances of the same problem. I have posted pictures to hopefully help with the description but basically there are random areas where the backing will not stick and it seems like the bubble just moves down the air channel leaving lines of unstuck vinyl (see pic). Early on I contacted our suppliers and they contacted 3M who told them that the manufacturer who makes their adhesive had gone out of business and 3M was having trouble finding a new supplier. After a few returned rolls the problem eventually got better but for about 6 months now it is worse than ever. Another difference I am noticing is the reverse side (adhesive side) of the new rolls of vinyl have dark grey streaks in them where it used to be all a solid grey color (see pic). We are purchasing from 2 different vendors and are having the same problems from both. Anyway, has anyone else been having this problem? Also, what is another good option for long lasting outdoor vinyl to be applied to vehicles? Thank you for your help!
We have started having the same issues with this film. Something changed a few years back and now this film is extremely hard to apply. Nothing changed on our end (profiles, printers, laminators, inks,environment etc) We have been in contact with 3M's local rep as well as corporate. We have been completely blown off. We sent in print samples with all our settings, profiles, info, for their testing. We have received no help. We let our prints gas off correctly even using downward air flow assist. We also are looking for any input since we have ran out of possible reasons for the problems. It does sound like ink saturation is causing the breakdown of the adhesion, but it didn't used to be a problem in the past. We have been in this business since the 80's and have used this film since it was developed and it definitely a big problem now compared to the past. Installs, especially large wraps etc are extremely difficult. Sorry we don't have any help or input for you. We have multiple shops in our area experiencing the same problems, still 3M refused to acknowledge the problem. We have also tried their new 180MC wrap film and it's not much better, if fact we had to send 2 rolls back because it prints grainy. After not receiving any help from 3M we talked to our local suppliers (Sun Supply and Denco) and they mentioned that many shops are switching to Avery's 1105 SC EZ RS wrap film due to this issue. It has made our life so much easier. We have easy peal liner, low initial tack, air bubbles flow out easy, vinyl snaps back up and slides just like advertised. You might check it out!