• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ampersands

geb

I was wondering if there is a difference between ampersands and the "&" symbol of the font you are using. Do you use Ampersands or the & symbol? Is there an advantage to using Ampersands? Maybe a dumb question, I just don't know much about them, thanks for any feedback.

George

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I thought so too- it's the little useful symbol that used to follow at the end of an alphabet, meaning 'and', and was named by recounting the whole alphabet, then "and, per-se 'and'", (which means a to z, and which follows the 'and' symbol), so "and per-se 'and'" became ampersand, and it began life looking like the conjoined latin word "et" which means 'and'.

That's my recollection anyhow.I'll stand corrected if someone nhs a better story! (& no it's not Mr Amper's 'and' either!)

striper14

wow, you learn something new every day.....and per-se "and".... why didn't i see that before:tongue: :tongue:
very impressive

MAB SIGNS

Thats a good story Ian, and better than it being named after who created it. I'm still trying to find that Mr. Murphy to ask him about his law. hehe

Mark

bullseye000

That's partially true. The symbol itself "&" is a combination of the two letters of the latin word "et" which translates to "and", as in ora et labor or work and prayer.