• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Antique Store Font?

Jillbeans

I was trying to be kind when I gave advice.
If you have not read the Mike Stevens book yet, you should.
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Layout-Art-Eye-Appeal/dp/091138068X
I am reading it again myself.

Customer provided substrate? Only if it's not going to end up costing me more in prep work than buying a new piece of material.
Customer dictating the layout? I try to avoid it, but I do it all the time.
Deposit? You betcha.

You are coming across as being very defensive, even about obtaining new fonts. That's sad, because we are only trying to help you to better yourself.
If everything in a layout has the same value, nothing stands out. Here is a quick suggestion using 100% free fonts and simple panels.
It is by no means portfolio material, but it does prioritize the copy.
(I think)

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 75

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I did a layout too, but fisky does not want to play...

>walks away depressed<

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Okay I'll show you mine... but only cuz I saw yours!

I like "Billhead"

Attachments

• abitofthepast copy.jpg
    abitofthepast copy.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 77

Billct2

These and Flames haircut signs are examples of what 5 minutes of applied skill can do for even the cheapest sign. I always say it is no more work to meak e a good looking effective design than a bad one if you have spent some time acquiring the skills and learning the lessons. I probably learned more about good quick design doing the cheapest of the cheap-paper signs.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Thanks all for your help, I posted it for help, looks like I'm not all that I think I am, lol. Anyways, it just seemed worded harsher on my end in the original posts?

Those are some great layouts; wish I could have come up with those!

GP

Those are some great layouts; wish I could have come up with those!

You can. You just have to approach these critiques with an open mind and continue down the path.

These "cheap" jobs are the ones you can really challenge yourself to stick to the simplest elements.

Rick and Jill were kind enough to submit some ideas. I challenge you spend 10-15 minutes coming up with another layout, incorporating some of the stronger elements in their designs.

If you are serious about your craft, invest some time and sharpen your skills. And again, keep an open mind. This forum can be a wonderful thing.

Good luck,

GP

SignManiac

Ok, so I'm bored today and thought I'd toss one at you. Even though your customer is cheap at first glance, it may still be possible to upsell him if he's given other options.

I'm not saying you should design an upscale sign and hope that you can sell it to him on speculation but if you have better quality examples to show him in your portfolio, or better yet, actual samples in your showroom, you have a better chance of him deciding between basic or better?

There's a shiptload load of psychology that goes into selling and if you know what you're doing, you can get the customer to recognize the "value" in buying a better image for his business. Clients won't just hand out money but they will spend more if you give them a good enough reason why.

This is a design I just spent fifteen minutes coming up with, I timed myself. I have the tricks up my sleeve and use them every single day. Being able to come up with a good layout is no accident. This is why it's important for you to gain this knowledge. It will help your bottom line financially and plus, you will enjoy your work more if you can stretch your boundaries.

Just some more food for thought.

Attachments

• antique01.jpg
    antique01.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 72

JR's

Sign Maniac nice layout and I think that at least two of those fonts were free at one time at letterhead fonts.

JR

SignManiac

JR, I don't recall whether they were free or not but I have invested quite a bit in letterhead fonts over the years just for the reason this post is about.

You do what you have to do in order to get the job done the best way you can for the client. All three of these fonts were from Letterhead Fonts.

Dave Drane

I will respond to this, as an hourly employee I do not make the rules here.
I will also look up this guy when I have a spare minute, just never done so in the past. I appreciate the way you word things though.

I have brought my own popcorn.
This is the sort of crap that really pisses me right off! When are these "newbies" going to learn the difference between making signs and designing "graphics"?
Mike Stevens was a SIGNPAINTER who through drawing letters on a substrate was able to learn letter construction and general design on a large substrate as against using "fonts" to type up a flyer. His generosity in supplying a book full of his knowledge to be treated as "this guy" does not even deserve an answer. I absolutely dread to think of where this once revered trade is heading. The sooner I retire and spend my time on golf and Harleys the better.
Please people (sign maniac, rick and Steve) don't waste any more resources on these turds.

Vinylman

As a side note: nobody has mentioned here yet the 3 tier pricing structure that should be a staple selling tool used when confronted by the "cheap" customer {or stupid boss who doesn't have a clue how to extract additional revenue from the customer/friend}.