• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

anyone know what these Chinese characters mean ?

ericmitchell29

Is this for a Karate dojo?
I did one with the same kanji I believe but I have no idea what it means.
I know thats no help. sorry.

blackicefx

Seung, it's not even worth getting offended at stuff like that anymore. Maybe when we were younger and were the extreme minority, but nowadays, any bad thing you hear one group say, you'll hear the other side saying something worse. I brush most of it off now that I'm older, but only take offense if it's a personal attack.

Matthew
BlackIceFX

SignosaurusRex

I just spoke to Grasshopper. He'll take a look when he gets back in from the field this afternoon or evening and translate an explanation if possible. I did some checking and the second character definitely resembles use in "food". I gave him a verbal description of the characters and he said it may be two characters that are regularly used, essentially meaning "Chinese American family food / wine".

JimJenson

This is what I am told:

It's read Jing3 yang2 in Mandarin. Keiyou in Japanese.

The first character means scenery; the second means sun. Together, my best guess would be bright sun, although I know of other words for that...

ADDED:
looking at the translations, I don't see the similarity.

Last edited:

Sabre

I just sent it over to my guy and he said the first character is "environment" and second is "sunny".

Sunny environment

Which reinforces Jim's source.

Techman

The first character means scenery; the second means sun. Together, my best guess would be bright sun, although I know of other words for that...

Be very careful about making that assumption with Asian characters. You will be wrong every time. Alone they have a name together they have an entirely different meaning.

For example. My name has characters in it that stand for gold, and earth. Together they take on a whole new pronunciation.

Check with a native speaker for an exact translation is a good course.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I just went to a holiday inn express and ponder'd these characters awhile in their lobby....

although i didn't stay the night, i think i still have it....

DUCK SAUCE