• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying graphics to 4x8 sheet by ones self

Morph1

Print all
We just finished this 12' x 4' cabinet. It has a printed graphic on Avery 2050 Translucent mounted 1st surface and it has a reverse image printed on clear mounted 2nd surface. We used our laminating table. The only problem with mounting the clear using dry method is when the printed side of the clear is sliding across itself while applying. It tends to be sticky. We use a used backer paper between the surfaces and it slides with ease.

View attachment 118454
Good job !, what we do a lot is we run a 24" wide silk screen squeegee with water of course ...

signdude48

1. Laminator, as everyone else has said.
2. Big Squeegie, but tape the print to an old core. Dale from Big Squeegee has the video below on how to do on Youtube.
3. What Morph said.

[video=youtube;3TJR6Dr5DHc]
[/video]
I use the big sqeeg. just you have to have a perfectly flat surface. If table is bowed the sqeg. does not hit the surface causing bubbles.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
What I've started doing (we manually laminate with the BS as well) is I'll cut a small slice out of the liner on the back with my YelloTools Bodyguard Knife, stick down a center channel just by running my finger up and down it, then I only have to lay down two 4X4 prints on each side. Leaves way less chance of skewing, and you don't have as much static buildup when you're release liner rolls up.

This is a great method we use often as well.

MikePro

+1 Morph's comment:
reduce error/effort by starting in the middle.

its controltac, so don't be afraid to lift your graphic back up as you apply to reduce bubbles bunching up into wrinkles.

peel the backing only so much as you go & keep tension on the un-peeled portion in the direction you're traveling ...the curl of the paper material helps lift/keep pressure off the peeled vinyl until you apply pressure on it. (which is basically the physics behind the BS)

JJM7288

We have a Rolls Roller. One day I watched application of paint mask to a sheet of acrylic. It took two very talented people quite a bit of time and effort. I cut the purchase,order for the Rolls Roller that day. We've used it every day since December 2014.

spectrum maine

We just finished this 12' x 4' cabinet. It has a printed graphic on Avery 2050 Translucent mounted 1st surface and it has a reverse image printed on clear mounted 2nd surface. We used our laminating table. The only problem with mounting the clear using dry method is when the printed side of the clear is sliding across itself while applying. It tends to be sticky. We use a used backer paper between the surfaces and it slides with ease.

View attachment 118454
why not cut vinyl on a sign like this?

ams

Ask a friend, family member or the guy next door to help hold. You can use a laminator or just create a jig to hold the vinyl. There are many ways to do it by yourself, such as using something like a T-Square and laying down half at a time so you have the reach. Just be creative.

Gary Wiant

My brother is our production guy, he does 4x8 prints by himself all the time using ij180c. We have a laminator but he feels he has more control doing it himself than the laminator.

bannertime

We've always ended up with about an 1/4" to 1/2" stretched overhang while using the laminator. So I typically do it manually, too. If I have to finish more than two then I'll have a local company print them for me.

Charlie J

No one is going to like what I'm about to say, but you should try it with some application fluid.

Yes, I'm aware you are using an air-egress film which is meant to be applied dry.

Gary Wiant

I was at a sign show in Atlantic city or Columbus our first year in business 22 years ago and at one of the lectures application fluid came up ( this is way before air egress vinyl ) and the speaker said if your in this business do yourself a favor and learn to do it the right way DRY for everything except etch / privacy vinyl on glass. That's what we did and I'm happy we did.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
We use our old Daige laminator. Works pretty good as a mounting machine. I see lots on Craigslist after folks inevitably upgrade their shop equipment.

gabagoo

I pretty much use a laminator for all vinyl applications print and cut lettering and they are always much better than applying by hand with squeegee.

rjssigns

We don't do many, but 4x8's are done on the floor with a Big Squeegee. Easy to get the correct pressure and control.

We used to struggle with mounting 4x8 prints in much the same way. We tried a regular felt squeegee, Big Squeegee, Aluminum Big Squeegee, application tape over the print, no application tape over the print. What a headache. Now we have a RollsRoller and all the stress of mounting by hand went right out the window.

dale911

President
I lay the vinyl on the substrate and line it up, then remove about a foot of backing paper and use the big squeegee to mount that. Then I run the remainder through the laminator. Sometimes if we have too much stuff around the laminator, I'll put the piece on the floor and use the big squeegee, crawling across the print and substrate. Make sure to take off your shoes and if you are wearing something abrasive or shorts, I put towels under my knees to keep from scratching or getting the print oily.

bigben

I use my aluminum BS with the pole, lay the substrate on the floor. The pole is long enough to do a whole 4x8 without walking on the print. I've started to also use this technique to install murals and I don't need ladder until I have to make the trim at the top.

Suz

I use my aluminum BS with the pole, lay the substrate on the floor. The pole is long enough to do a whole 4x8 without walking on the print. I've started to also use this technique to install murals and I don't need ladder until I have to make the trim at the top.

Ben, what size BS (with pole) did you buy from Dale?

bigben

Ben, what size BS (with pole) did you buy from Dale?

I think I was the first to order the aluminum model. Dale made me a bundle for the whole kit. I have a 26in-20in-14in that I can joint together and make different width configuration plus 3pc extension pôle plus t-handle. The plastic tip cover and comfort handle did not exist at the time tho. But I don't think I would use them.