• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Average Jackass Turns Unicorn (or Hard To Find Vinyl)

Scphotog

I thought I was looking for something simple...that would be easy to find, but, nooo....

I'm in need of a printable (eco-sol) matte/flat finish wrap quality vinyl in white.

Those three things seem to be hard to come by when together all at the same time.

Don't really want to try to overlay a matte lam' onto a gloss material as has been suggested a few times, but I might give it a shot just to see how it looks. This would nearly triple my expense for a product that doesn't really need laminate.

Suggestions and or recommendations or appreciated.

To sum up, my needs are...

Printable

Conformable for wrapping

Matte / Flat finish

White, beige or light brown

Thanks for reading. :)

Wrap w/ gloss printable and then apply matte lam. The matte finish of the vinyl and your inks won't be the same. The best bet would be to laminate it with a matte lam and that will give it an overall uniform matte look.

Scphotog

Wrap w/ gloss printable and then apply matte lam. The matte finish of the vinyl and your inks won't be the same. The best bet would be to laminate it with a matte lam and that will give it an overall uniform matte look.

Right... but this job really doesn't need laminate.

If I have no other choice, but to laminate, I guess I will, but it doubles my material cost and increases significantly my effort and time.

AKwrapguy

Doesn't 3m make a 1080 matte or satin white? I'm not sure but I think that you can print on them...anyone else tried it?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They all make matte or satin whites with air egress channels, but better yet, why does laminating it.... make it cost 3 times as much ??

Scphotog

They all make matte or satin whites with air egress channels, but better yet, why does laminating it.... make it cost 3 times as much ??

Well the roll of laminate costs, and the time to do it costs too... maybe not 3 times as much, but somewhere near there.

The air egress is a help, but I need really good conform-ability too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well the roll of laminate costs, and the time to do it costs too... maybe not 3 times as much, but somewhere near there.

Maybe I'm just not following along here. You never mentioned the size of this thing, so I'm gonna go out on a limb with this.

You have a job which will cost $30 in vinyl material and ink and you sell it for $150.00. If you laminate this job, you think it's gonna cost another $450 to do ?? Or $90 to do ?? Or even $300 vs $60. How can that be ?? Your thinking or calculating is all f*cked up.

To do a professional job, it should be laminated regardless and figured with all the necessary components. Otherwise, why do the job at all ?? If you want a uniform appearance, then a complete overlay is the only way to do it. If not, then do it with whatever you want and be done with it.

CanuckSigns

3M 1080-M10 matte white wrap film
it's not sold as a printable product, but I would imagine it would work fine. it's intended for colour change wraps and such so it's got air release and conformability.

Scphotog

3M 1080-M10 matte white wrap film
it's not sold as a printable product, but I would imagine it would work fine. it's intended for colour change wraps and such so it's got air release and conformability.

I'll take a look at the 1080-m10 from 3M. Thanks for the reply. :)

AKwrapguy

It should take just a few minutes to laminate it... depending on the speed of the laminator you could do a whole roll in 15 minutes.

maybe we're asking the wrong questions....
Scphotog- Maybe a little more detail on what your doing and we might be able to better assist you cause what your throwing out there doesn't quite add up.
Can you tell us about this project why do you need cast material?
Is this permanent or temporary?
Is this personal or for a client?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Right... but this job really doesn't need laminate.

If I have no other choice, but to laminate, I guess I will, but it doubles my material cost and increases significantly my effort and time.

Ya know Scphotog..... if you're gonna go around changing your posts, then you AIN'T gonna get any help from this guy. That is about the most cowardly thing to do. You don't know what you're saying or doing and then when we question you further and give you helpful answers, you change things that you said... to save face ?? Putz. That's all I got to say.

Now, go home and sulk and come back with a different avatar and maybe you can still ask questions here.

Johnny Best

To me it sounds like he does not want to spend the money for a roll of matt laim. If you are wrapping something it should have a laminate.
Also if you use gloss and put matt on top it looks good, but someone already told you that. If you put matt lam over matt vinyl or matt lam over gloss vinyl you could not really tell the difference anyway. I've done it and it looks the same to me.

dale911

President
Do you guys laminate solvent prints going on temp items like yard signs that are only for short term, temporary jobs? Seems like a waste to me. The outdoor life is rated usually for 2-3 years without lam and a yard sign life is 6 months at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Do you guys laminate solvent prints going on temp items like yard signs that are only for short term, temporary jobs? Seems like a waste to me. The outdoor life is rated usually for 2-3 years without lam and a yard sign life is 6 months at best.

Yes. Among the reasons:
- Because while the customer tells you "I'm only going to have them out for a couple of months", that turns into a couple of years and they start to look like shit- then you've got someone going around bad-mouthing your company.
- The laminate keeps it from getting screwed up when they throw it in their trunk or back seat to take it to wherever they're putting it for that couple of months- and they bad-mouth the fact that your company gave them a poor product.
- If you're applying vinyl to say, coroplast, for a temp sign (for those without flatbed printers)- laminated is easier to deal with, so you do have to reprint if someone's hand slips.
- The extra time and expense is minimal, and far preferable to having to deal with the above.
My .02.

Johnny Best

In your post one of the things you were looking for was "Conformable for wrapping" so it sounds like more than just yard signs or short term.

Scphotog

I would never have dreamed that folks would get so hot about such a simple question.

I've learned what I needed, to get this job done. The informative replies are much appreciated. Thanks folks. :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would never have dreamed that folks would get so hot about such a simple question.

I've learned what I needed, to get this job done. The informative replies are much appreciated. Thanks folks. :)

Haha.......... I, for one, am glad you found some things helpful, but it seems you agree with anyone who tells you you're doing fine and disagree with people honestly trying to help you. You never shared what you did, what helped or what you found disconcerting, but you managed to make a buncha dumb remarks about nothing.

Thanks for all the return help.:u rock:

jfiscus

Rap Master
So, what was the final product for? If it was not for a wrap, then there is other material that comes in matte that is printable and less expensive.
I also don't understand why you wouldn't want to laminate it. It is wrap material, which is made for compound curves, so it is super thin to begin with w/o laminate.
If it was a small project you should have some scrap laminate laying around left over from a previous job if you have a printer & laminator in-house. And if it was for a large project you'd want it laminated just in case for protection.
Everything here that gets printed is laminated, cheap prints for cheap yard signs get cheap laminate; expensive wrap prints get expensive wrap laminate.
BTW, I am not sure who is bending you over for your laminate, but our laminate costs WAY less per roll than premium wrap vinyl.