• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Been In The Business For 15 Years. Anyone Else Having Shoulder Pain?

It started maybe 2 months ago and its pretty much been constant. I'm only 33 but have been working signs and banners for 15 years full time. I'm a pretty strong guy ~210 pounds. I feel like between pulling off transfer tape, squeegeeing, lifting acm and other boards, and loading full banner/vinyl rolls all works my right shoulder to death.

Maybe I'm just a loser (maybe I'm getting old lol) but how are your dominant shoulders after doing this a while?

We recently hired a half production half graphic designer but she isn't exactly up to loading banner rolls..I guess its time to implement team lift.

Edit: Man card turned in.

The problem isn't probably so much how much your lifting or the ways your lifting/moving but probably more the movements your making. Repetitive similar movements day in and day out can cause issues. When you leave work you need to do more excersize doing motions you don't do throughout the day. 34 is pretty young man. Probably something like a rotator cuff tendonitis.

Probably something like a rotator cuff tendonitis.
Wow looked it up! I have all the symptoms including the clicking noise! Thank's man I do need to exercise more...I figured I was getting all the exercise I needed at work, but in reality I guess I've only been stressing the same muscle and tendon groups. Time to put my left arm to work.

Had almost an identical issue had to get cortisone shots to cut the inflammation and get me back to work. Now I just make sure to stretch and work it out in all directions. Hanging from a pullup bar for 5 mins or so seemed to help some also.

Billct2

Yep, like has been said, a repetitive stress issue, and then a good jolt will really kick it in. I had to do some PT and then follow an easy regime of stretching/exercise to keep it from happening again, well it will happen again, but at least minimize it

Baz

My right shoulder hurt allot last year. I think it was caused by bad sleeping position.
Now it's just a constant soreness. I can handle that.

The older you get the more sore you are and the longer it takes to heal...

Exercise works wonders to prevent that.

Sign Works

Try breaking your collar bone at 60, my shoulder is toast. As I age I find the best way to combat life's aches and pains is with extreme activity/exercise. 300 push-ups a day and my shoulder doesn't feel so lame. Pedal 25 miles a day and legs, knees & back feel much stronger. Do more, not less.

Last edited:

Pippin Decals

Sounds like a Possible torn or damaged rotator cuff in your shoulder,,,I have had 3 surgeries on my left and 1 on my right..It hurts like hell when it flares up..If thats what it is i would not play around ,Mine kill me when i sleep on my shoulder wrong some nights..If it doesnt get fixed you can lose feeling all the way down to your fingers and go numb. just my thought on your pain..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seriously, you should get it checked out. What you're describing could be one of maybe a dozen different similar problems. Only some x-rays will tell you properly. Otherwise. it is all guessing and you'll still be in pain at the end of the day. Exercising possibly for the wrong problem could exacerbate your problem more. I had a torn rotator cuff and was getting ready for surgery, last November/December and with a last ditch effort, started taking something called Bromelain. About 2 weeks later, the pain had lessened. 4 weeks and the pain was definitely bearable and within 3 months, about 90% of my pain was gone. In fact, I built a 35' x 65' enclosed vegetable garden and a 8' x 12' shed last March into summer. In late July, I fractured my lower back and even the doctors said I healed really fast. I think it was all due to the Bromelain. I can't promise you the same results, but I know many people who have said they feel much better since they started taking it.

No more pain traveling down the arm when sleeping. I can move my arm across my chest in close quarters with absolutely no pain. Most of all, I can throw a baseball, again.... without any shooting pain whatsoever.

Get it checked, instead of listening to maybe stories.

printhog

Two common injury groups in the trade for comp claims.. repetitive motion (carpal tunnel) and joint issues. For wrappers the knees will go after 10 years. For general installers shoulder injuries can be anytime. For production staff and computer operators, carpal tunnel almost anytime.

I've excluded mentioning the pesky XActo based injuries as those are remedied by super glue and common sense.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Fares Bayazeed

It started maybe 2 months ago and its pretty much been constant. I'm only 33 but have been working signs and banners for 15 years full time. I'm a pretty strong guy ~210 pounds. I feel like between pulling off transfer tape, squeegeeing, lifting acm and other boards, and loading full banner/vinyl rolls all works my right shoulder to death.

Maybe I'm just a loser (maybe I'm getting old lol) but how are your dominant shoulders after doing this a while?
This sort of thing does happen. Get to the doctor. A friend of mine had the same symptoms and ended up getting the arm socket assembly replaced. Now he's doing just fine. The other choice is pain management. That seems to be extremely hard to get on anymore, especially in Oklahoma. Maybe it is different there.

David Wright

Yes, go to a doctor. You're young, handled correctly healing will come fast. I wouldn't excercise a problem like this, most likely will exacerbate the problem.

Johnny Best

Go see a doctor and get an MRI to see if there is a problem. Seems like everyone on here has some sort of aches and pains.
I go to LAFitness 3 or 4 times a week and I know what the pain is cause from when I have it. They have machines that will strengthen up your shoulders
or as one person said, pushups or pullups, I am not a young man anymore either and exercise is really good for you. Start slow and build yourself up. Good luck and stay away from the pain pills because then you will be coming on here with different problems.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50 and lately everything above the neckline has started to hurt. Some of my 24 hour work days have been stretching into 36 -- 40 hour shifts but I think it is all in my head. It sucks to get old.

wayne k
guam usa

Johnny Best

Yea, I am closer to 70 than I am to 60 and GAC05 just made me laugh, the only thing I use my head for is to hold my glasses on. The only thing good about old age is Medicare.

S'N'S

Been thru the same thing over the last 9 years, had Bursitis in the right shoulder and had 5 Cortisone shots into the joint (did absolutely nothing), looks pretty cool watching the needle go in then the fluid squirts in and swirls around...(watching it on the Ultra sound). Been getting worse and can't even lift my arm anywhere near shoulder height and when it cracks...the pain is a 10... so went and had another utrasound and found tears, floaty bits and Arthritis which has built up in the joint causing pain. Dr talking of operating and scrapping arthritis out of the joint, but I have spoken to quite a few that have had it done and it's 50/50....some said it worked, while others no improvement. I'm still debating.
My advice is get it checked as soon as possible, don't be like me and wait till its too late.