• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Best way or tool to cut vinyl on edge of glass wall

bigben

We do fair amount of frosted vinyl on glass wall. We need to cut the material right on the glass bevel. Other than take my knife and cut with an angle, is there a better way or tool to do this? I was thinking of a special knife like yellowtools, but it doesn't seems to be quite right for the job.

bigben

By bevel do you mean where the glass has an angle on the face or where the glass meets the frame?

That is right, but my question is for seems in glass wall like in the picture.

Attachments

• cloison-vitrée-bord-à-bord.jpg
    cloison-vitrée-bord-à-bord.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 313
C

ColoPrinthead

Just remember that carbide blades will cut glass. I forgot what kind of blades I had in my knife when I was trimming a coworkers tint and left some nice line on the window.

ikarasu

I'd just continue to use a small cutter on them.

You could try knifeless tape... I don't know how well that'd work on the edge though, and would get quite expensive.

We usually use a 9mm blade, and snap it off each cut or two. Might be Overkill... But you get like 10 snaps a blade for $1. So at 10 cents a cut... It's better than risking the blade not cutting perfectly and ruining an 8 ft piece of frosted vinyl.

MikePro

no better tool on glass, than a sharp knife.
its all about your process, however. don't just cut the material, you should be slightly tugging on the vinyl in the opposite direction that you're cutting.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I gave up on trying to slice down the edges of the glass like you are talking about, and now I just cut my panels to just a hair under the exact size of the glass, and float them in till one edge is just about flush. It's a much cleaner look than the jagged cuts you often end up with.

Bly

Wait till it's dry enough then run your knife down the edge on an angle.
Not rocket science.
If we are in a hurry sometimes we'll use a metal ruler but it's hard to get it in exactly the right position.

Chasez

If your cutting on the bevel of a flat polish piece of glass the olfa knife is your best and quickest. We use the 9mmSS blades and cut away. Do this all day every day as we hang tons of frosting (avery, 3M, macal, gen form, hexis). Cutting straight on the bevel is the quickest way, its all about technique and as MikePro said, slightly pull in the opposite direction of your cut keeping tension on the material.

Cutting on the face of the glass is a different story, you have to be very careful as glass can score depending on the quality of the glass. Press very lightly and use a sharp blade, if you have to snap a new blade after each cut its well worth int... you'll replace 1 pc of glass before you ever think that a blade is worth trying to make multiple cuts.

Chaz

bigben

If your cutting on the bevel of a flat polish piece of glass the olfa knife is your best and quickest. We use the 9mmSS blades and cut away. Do this all day every day as we hang tons of frosting (avery, 3M, macal, gen form, hexis). Cutting straight on the bevel is the quickest way, its all about technique and as MikePro said, slightly pull in the opposite direction of your cut keeping tension on the material.
Chaz

This is the technique I'm using right now. But sometime if you move slightly, the cut is not perfect and it's practically impossible to re-cut the part. I was curious to see if there was other solutions.

Chasez

This is the technique I'm using right now. But sometime if you move slightly, the cut is not perfect and it's practically impossible to re-cut the part. I was curious to see if there was other solutions.

Practice practice practice.. if there is a bevel we will cut on it. Not saying that there isn't the odd mishap but the speed to cut on the bevel makes up for it. It is a tricky thing to get the hang of but once you do its much faster and leaves a really nice clean edge.

Chaz