• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boy did I screw up today

JohnBFryJr

I got a big order of decals the minute my grimco installer left after my hp 315 install. I figured out the laminator last weekend. I thought now that I have all the tools let's make some money. 400 4x9 decals I printed them about 50 at a time. No problem. Let's kick it up a notch 1100 decals for the same customer. I decided to print 001 thru 350 same as previous decals. All die cut. About 200 inches total. Printed, laminated, and my new sweet d140 puked all over it.. way to long a run.

Anybody perfcut laminated decals? Weeding and slitting sucks.

Still learning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

rjssigns

How do you load your D140R? Only issue I've had with mine was because I got careless. But I haven't cut anything over 110" either.
I am super fussy about having the lead edge perfectly square to the factory edge of the vinyl.

My Roland has a sheet cut feature, that will cut a perfectly straight line that isn't square to anything. Your HP will do the same thing because media will drift slightly when printing. Does that make sense?
You can say well it's only off a sixteenth, but that tiny bit increases with length.

Once I know the leading edge is perfect that edge gets pushed down in the first relief after the pinch rollers. When I'm happy with that I drop the pinch rollers and let it load. While the material is loading I watch the edge of the material as it goes past the hash marks on the platen. Loaded correctly you will be hard pressed to see any movement. Now you're ready to cut.

While this sounds complicated and time consuming it isn't once you get used to the method. What is time consuming and expensive is not doing it.

JohnBFryJr

The most I've cut is 160 inches.but that was 2 8ft jobs.

The problem I was running into is when it reads the registration marks it goes from front to back and it gets bunched up in front of or behind the machine. 200 is just to much to deal with at a time.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Why arent you using the paneling feature? You can set it to 20" and it wont feed more than 20" at a time.

That's useless when doing what he's talking about...it still has to feed everything out to read the four corners.

FatCat

The most I've cut is 160 inches.but that was 2 8ft jobs.

The problem I was running into is when it reads the registration marks it goes from front to back and it gets bunched up in front of or behind the machine. 200 is just to much to deal with at a time.

Yes, we have a D140 and its a great machine - but unless you have a flatbed cutting table doing runs of decals that long is just asking for trouble. We try to keep everything under 5-6' unless absolutely necessary. We have done 10-12' and maybe longer runs, but you want to slow the speed waaaayyy down like 12ips so that it doesn't try to whip through the machine. You also want to stand by it and make sure the material doesnt get pinched or bound up as its going back and forth.

Live and learn...

rjssigns

Had an engineer friend run the numbers. 0.0625" off when loading translates to 0.230" skew in 200".

I slowed the Summa to 250mm/sec (10inches/sec) right away and had no issues running the laminated box truck graphics.

All this has me thinking about trying the graphics I had on my race truck or my friends dragster. The dragster graphics were simple cuts, but they were 13 feet long and 2-up on the material. Printed, laminated, then cut on my SP540V.o_O My truck graphics were all done on the Roland and those were about 11 feet long.

If my Roland can do it...

JohnBFryJr

I'll look into it. I though that was something totally different. Thanks

Christian @ 2CT Media

Thanks for the info. I'll dig into it.

From the D Series Manual:

OPOS
Parameters
The OPOS settings sub
-menu is used to change the different OPOS parameters with the
control panel. It is explained in section 3.3.5.
Extra parameters are:
Sheet mode
Is explained in section 3.4.3.
OPOS
Paneling
With this option, the markers can be read in panels. The OPOS sensor will read markers
according to
the
panel size, instead of loading them all.
OPOS Panels can be set to OFF or ON.
When set to ON, then the sensor w
ill only
load
markers in the
X-direction when loading OPOS. Other markers will be read when unrolling
media.
The panel size will be
automatically
set to the distance between two markers in the X
direction.
OPOS Origin
These settings are explained in section 3.4.1.
OPOS Sensor
This submenu is to test the reflection value of OPOS. Press
for a readout.

rjssigns

From the D Series Manual:

OPOS
Parameters
The OPOS settings sub
-menu is used to change the different OPOS parameters with the
control panel. It is explained in section 3.3.5.
Extra parameters are:
Sheet mode
Is explained in section 3.4.3.
OPOS
Paneling
With this option, the markers can be read in panels. The OPOS sensor will read markers
according to
the
panel size, instead of loading them all.
OPOS Panels can be set to OFF or ON.
When set to ON, then the sensor w
ill only
load
markers in the
X-direction when loading OPOS. Other markers will be read when unrolling
media.
The panel size will be
automatically
set to the distance between two markers in the X
direction.
OPOS Origin
These settings are explained in section 3.4.1.
OPOS Sensor
This submenu is to test the reflection value of OPOS. Press
for a readout.

Neat! Thanks again.

JohnBFryJr

Thanks. I've got some reading for tonight.

Anyone want some slightly used vinyl only printed on 1 side?

I haven't absorbed this much info in a long time. I appreciate yalls help.