• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

'Cannot find port" error message

Cyclynn

Also, make sure the USB port isn't being powered down at any point (it's in the PC's settings, but I don't remember where). If the port powers down (energy saver mode, or whatever) it can cause connection issues. I'd check that- then check USB cables/adapters/etc.

Thanks, Southpaw... I did find the place to change that, and regrettably it turned out not to be the issue... :-( ~Lynn

Cyclynn

Plus the card is probably only $20. This solution is the best one right here.
Hi VanderJ - my computer guy came in this morning... he figures it's not the serial port issue: it worked on the Mac with that exact setup for more than 10 years. Macs are better, that's all there is to it! But, I'm stuck on the Windows machine now, and must solve this problem. He says it is definitely a communication issue between Windows and the cutter. Everything, except the serial cable, that connects the two has been updated and none of that solved the problem. It is certain to be some kind of weird setting, but which one?

Cyclynn

Could it be a firewall issue? You may need to create a special rule for the port and or the application.
I was so hopeful it was a firewall issue! We checked all that and there was one setting that could b\have been it. Restart, open the program again, but... no... :-(

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Shoot, I am stumped. I have run into this issue with a Mimaki JV3 one time and it ended up being a bios setting I had to change to fix it. The problem is I was working off of the advice of one of Mimaki's software guys so I have no idea what it ended up being to help you out.

Cyclynn

Shoot, I am stumped. I have run into this issue with a Mimaki JV3 one time and it ended up being a bios setting I had to change to fix it. The problem is I was working off of the advice of one of Mimaki's software guys so I have no idea what it ended up being to help you out.
Thanks, VanderJ. I am stumped too and hating it. Production has slowed down too much to be happy at work right now. So much I could get done! So much I need to get done! My computer guy took the link to this thread so he can follow all your suggestions. I'm actually finding many hits to a search on 'cannot open port' and Windows 7, but many of those relate to wireless or remote devices. I am finding this thread on Signforums from 2011, too, so I'll explore that. Another time suck when I could be producing something, like a sign... I am aalso finding this thread on many other places: uksignboards, tshirtforums, seiekitech.... certainly, if I can find the answer I will post! I wish I was a signpainter....

Christian @ 2CT Media

Can you add a serial card and use a direct cable?

I honestly think its the baud rate and key bits not matching between the windows driver and the Summa... but if your IT guy checked that it could be the converter cable has gone bad.

SignBurst PCs

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I have run into this before. I would think that either slapping in an inexpensive PCIe serial card, or if your motherboard has a serial header, a $3 serial bracket would be worth a shot.

If your computer guy is monitoring this thread, he is welcome to call me and I can explain what I am talking about. I am sure he knows already though.

The way I look at it, even if there is some way to "fix" the issue with your current setup, is it costing you more than $50 to figure it out?

Last edited:

SignBurst PCs

I guess that there is no guarantee that my suggestion will work, but it is a reasonable thing to try. I would use a Serial add-in card or connect a bracket to a Serial header 100% of the time. I absolutely despise serial-USB adapters.

Cyclynn

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I have run into this before. I would think that either slapping in an inexpensive PCIe serial card, or if your motherboard has a serial header, a $3 serial bracket would be worth a shot.

If your computer guy is monitoring this thread, he is welcome to call me and I can explain what I am talking about. I am sure he knows already though.

The way I look at it, even if there is some way to "fix" the issue with your current setup, is it costing you more than $50 to figure it out?

You're absolutely right!!!! We put in a serial port, got rid of the usb cable and the keyspan adapter, and it's working perfectly now!!! Woohoo! Thanks everyone, and thanks especially to you!

Cyclynn

It worked!!! You are absolutely correct! We put in a serial port (thank goodness the computer had an available slot for it!), got rid of the keyspan adapter and serial cable, and it's working perfectly!

Thank you to everyone, and especially to you, SignBurst!

SignBurst PCs

It worked!!! You are absolutely correct! We put in a serial port (thank goodness the computer had an available slot for it!), got rid of the keyspan adapter and serial cable, and it's working perfectly!

Thank you to everyone, and especially to you, SignBurst!

You are most welcome. I am glad that you got it figured out.