• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CLTT vs Sub

Rover31

Hello all still doing tons of research onto what is actually going to work for me So here I am again with another question.

I am trying to get custom graphics (multiple colors) onto either HDPE (white) or acrylic (clear or white or white opaque).
Plastics are 3-5mm in thickness and are flat. Graphics need to have good durability, scratch resistant, etc. as the product is 'handled/used".

I was looking at an A2 or A3 (preferred) flatbed printer using eco-solvent inks as I know that process will work well. The cost is a bit prohibitive as I am a small start up.

I alllllmost pulled the money out to do the diy flatbed thing. 'Cept I couldn't get the A3 printer version I wanted only A2 is available. Still working on that one. In the meantime,

Someone here mentioned sublimation and I thought yeah that could work. I have done a bunch of research into that. Getting the sub prints from an outsource looks awesome cost wise!
I read issues on warping and the heat needed for sub will not work well with HDPE, looks great on acrylic though. I do have concerns about it working on the "thin" 3-5mm thick stuff. Sounds like I would have problems with warping.

Then I read about the CLTT (color laser toner transfer). I sounds simple, easy and lower temps. I can afford the printer they seem less costly. Is it really as simple as it reads or am I missing something?
Do the colors/graphics come out well?
Is warping not an issue?
Durable?
Think it would work for me?

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions!

dgerb

Generally hdpe is pad or screen printed with the ink made for the plastic, or the base material gets a coating that is friendly with the print process of choice. Looking at your other posts you may be well served getting those press-a-print kits and setting up the pad or screen.

Cltt is just laser toner fused to the media of interest. I doubt the durability is great, and there is no uv rating that I know of.
Why do you need to print directly to the hdpe? What have you prototyped so far after all this research?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Rover31

IMG_6613.JPG
I have not prototypes but I do know what the previous owners of the product did do. It was the eco solvent printing with a Neoflex flatbed.
However I am trying to get a bit lower cost and less maintaince that those printers require.
The thought of dye sub or the cltt working is very appealing due to the low start up cost.
I do hope to get the flatbed in the future as business and the dollars improve.
The press a print kits you mention could you explain that? I am not sure what that is.
I have uploaded a pic to show what we are doing.