• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Color Change Truck Wrap - cab/bed

Prestige

Wondering if I can get some recommendations! We want to wrap our company pickup, and the color of the truck is white. We haven't done a full color change wrap before, and so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what they do where the truck bed and the cab meet. If I wrap the truck in any color other than white, I'm going to end up with white showing in the space there. What can I do to make the color change look seamless, or as close to it as possible?

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
We have never removed the beds on a color change. We take a piece and wrap the area above the bed under the rear window. Another piece goes behind the seam of the door to wrap around the corner or "column" towards the rear windshield - same area you are speaking of. We will take all of the backing paper off and slide it back in between the bed and cab and start the installation from this area and work out to the door seam. If you work the other way, you will not be able to reach back in that space and pull tension or squeegee.

EDIT: For the front of the bed, we generally will take and place a line of knife-less tape vertically 2-3" in (what we can see) and wrap the side panel in from the side of the bed to the front.

ExecuPrintGS

For color change, remove the bed. Wrap the cab and bed, reinstall bed.

For commercial graphics, leave the bed on and create a nice symmetrical break point.

MikePro

if it was for a client, I would inform them of the extra costs involved in dis/re-assembly. it will save your a lot of effort during application, but body work is body work.

Spoiler alert. I have never done this. MY trucks and other wraps for economically/timeline-minded clients, however, look just fine printing a 4-6" overlap at that seam and tuck the excess into the recess.
also, pre-applying strips wherever I can get my hands-into allows me to trim-away any bacon-collar'd vinyl that I will get from tucking my wrap around&back.

Last edited:

Prestige

Yeah, for a commercial wrap (for the sake of cost) I don't think it would be a question to just have a breakpoint rather than removing the bed. But for a color change... I think we'll be removing it. Thanks!