• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Management Settings For X8

SuccessfulSigns

I am about to upgrade from CorelDraw x6 to Corel x8. I've been using the CorelDraw Suite since version 9. In the early days of our business I used it mostly in black & white either for laser engraving and simple cut vinyl registered graphics. In 2014 we purchased a wide format ink jet printer (an HP 330 Latex) and since then I've been confused about the color management settings within the application and whether to use CMYK, RGB or PMS Spot colors when designing. I certainly understand the differences between each color space and their gamuts, but I get very different opinions from folks on this question. My main question though is what should the settings be in the default and document color management window to get the best, most predictable result? Thanks, Angela

upload_2017-4-4_11-46-2.png

myront

CorelDRAW is best
This is what mine is set at. Not saying it's right but it is what it is. We design in cmyk but may export for print as either eps or tif both either rgb or cmyk. Depends on what printer we're using for the job. One handles rgb's better than cmyk. Occasionally I'll export as pdf with fonts converted.

Attachments

• color management.PNG
    color management.PNG
    32.9 KB · Views: 545

printhog

Set the main pull down to "North American prepress" to get started. tweak as needed from there.

pro tip - make ICC output settings permanent and shop wide. on every machine in every app. This is a quality control standard youre setting that should remain once established.

Use adobeRGB (1998) for rgb as its a bigger gamut than the srgb one. Remember RGB is just a monitor color (some cheap printers use RGB drivers, as does windows default View attachment 129297 print spooler/server, but these arent the kind we use professionally)

I opt to use GRAcoL2006 for cmyk as i export to trade only litho printers and they match my colors spot on thru that. Its close to USwebcoated SWOP but a bit newer. seems to be better in g7 workflows.

Those profiles are available for free at ICC profiles

Your primary color mode can be rgb or cmyk, rgb has bigger gamut, but since output is eventually cmyk, the bigger gamut will just get compressed downstream when you print. NOTE: Calibrating your monitor with a colorimeter is crucial at this point. you really cant make any color determinations in a work space without a calibrated system.

For spot color callouts, L*a*b is the best choice as it is the real world reference used by all color tools and profiles. You can measure a color's L*a*b value with a device and match ACAP (as close as possible) in paint, fabrics, print, etc to it. Tools like the $59 colormuse are a great way to do this.

Relative colorimetric should be used for typical signage, perception for photograph only work, and absolute only to output proofing or to multiple machines.

Check all the warnings to be on.

Attachments

• Capturer.JPG
    Capturer.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 404