• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Management

Austin97

Hey guys so my black head was changed cause there was deflection. Athe test print is perfect. And everything is good on my printer. But I'm having a problem printing when they come out.

And I am usuing a 3.75 Mil media and use GCVP on high quality.
I just got an order I'll show you the picture I got from the customer and also how it printed.

Would you guys know why it's coming out like that fuzzy or is it normal. Maybe it's only my eye that picks it up right away. Or how how the file is designed.

But I will also be picking up a laminator to laminate so maybe it will make it look better. I didn't cut it because I just wanted to see what it looks like before I made them.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2695.PNG
    IMG_2695.PNG
    308.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    970 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2699.JPG
    IMG_2699.JPG
    927 KB · Views: 170

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm not seeing the fuzziness you're referring to- perhaps because the photos aren't close enough to catch them.
I can think of some reasons that might happen, though...
- As Pauly mentioned, the media height could be off.
- You don't mention what type of printer you have, but if you're running four color, those grays most likely aren't going to be shades of black unless the file was set up that way and your RIP processes them that way and your printer will print them that way.
- Your printer's calibration may be off.
- The other head might be dirty.

Austin97

Hey guys I will post another picture and try to zoom in. The heads on my machine which is a SP-300V are perfect. And the calibration is said perfect along with the other calibrations. What do you guys mean thought when you say media height? The role is 30 x 150 yards I have. I'm maybe thinking it has to come down to how the files are created.

Maybe I'm just anylzing it to close. When you sell them to customers they don't look at them the way we look at them. I always just go right to the colors and analyze it really close.

Also do you think I should put laminate over it will that help it enhance the colors a little?

I posted the same photo wouldn't let me zoom in and upload it because it said the photo was too big. If you guys open up the photo you can zoom in and see what I'm talking about.

If someone has the answer to this would you be able to contact me

Thanks so much

Attachments

• IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    970 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Looking at the specs for your printer, I see that it's a four color model.
As I mentioned before, it's probable that your grays are generated through the CMY channels- with maybe a smidge of K in them. You're going to have to do some investigating with your RIP to figure out if you can print them as percentages of black- and even that may leave some "fuzziness".
I know in Flexi, you can tweak your print colors by changing how much of each ink is put down- I'd assume the RIP you're using must have something similar in it (this isn't something I have to do anymore, since my current employer has actually invested in the necessary tools for color profiling- and our printers are CMYKLcLmGYLg).

Johnny Best

Are you taking a pic someone gave you and enlarging it and printing as a .jpg. If you make a square block of black and gray are they still "fuzzy" when printed.

Austin97

Are you taking a pic someone gave you and enlarging it and printing as a .jpg. If you make a square block of black and gray are they still "fuzzy" when printed.

Yes that is correct. I did happen to print a square black and I don't have a picture on me. But it was still a little fuzzy. I was reading on pervious threads. Do you think I would need to clean my encoder strip?

Last edited:

Austin97

As I mentioned before, it's probable that your grays are generated through the CMY channels- with maybe a smidge of K in them. You're going to have to do some investigating with your RIP to figure out if you can print them as percentages of black- and even that may leave some "fuzziness".
I know in Flexi, you can tweak your print colors by changing how much of each ink is put down- I'd assume the RIP you're using must have something similar in it (this isn't something I have to do anymore, since my current employer has actually invested in the necessary tools for color profiling- and our printers are CMYKLcLmGYLg).

I will check that out. For flexi I only have the design software I don't have the one were you can print and cut rug in the software. So when ever I upload a JPG or EPS in flexi I will add my cut line. And then send it to versaworks after that my image or logo uploads and then I double click it and go into the properties. And from there I use GCVP and on high quality. And then for the settings I check use media profiles and the heater settings I check use printer settings. Then I send it to the printer. Like I said it could be me that I'm analyzing it to much. But I just want to clear my head and try to figure it out. So you don't know if there is a in the RIP software? I was also reading that I mentioned someone else in the perilous comment. That it could be my encoder strip and I should clean it with isopropyl. Which I don't know if it would help. But I did have the black head changed. The two wipers changed. Also two new cap tops. So maybe I should clean the encoder strip? What do you think. Now when I did buy this I travel home 3-4 hours in the back of my personal minivan and was secered properly. And took caution when I was driving. If that would affect anything I am not sure.

Thanks so much

ikarasu

Is this your first printer? If it is, you have to understand images tend to be somewhat grainy on solvent/latex images. Grainy enough that if you look at them from an inch away, you'll notice it. The images you posted seem fine, Colors are a little off... but thats typical unless you do color calibrations.

Laminating it will make it more shiny, and does hide the graininess a little bit. Do you have any laminate? throw some on your test print and see if you/the customer likes it better.

Austin97

Is this your first printer? If it is, you have to understand images tend to be somewhat grainy on solvent/latex images. Grainy enough that if you look at them from an inch away, you'll notice it. The images you posted seem fine, Colors are a little off... but thats typical unless you do color calibrations.

Laminating it will make it more shiny, and does hide the graininess a little bit. Do you have any laminate? throw some on your test print and see if you/the customer likes it better.

Yes it is. And you are right it all depends what they see. They will probably not even notice it. And I am going to pick up some laminate today so it should be good once that goes over it. Also these decals will be outside on the back of peoples cars so it would make more sense to laminate. I did however have a new black head put in. And everything was all calibrated perfect. But I will look into the color calibrations.

Thank you

Austin97

I will definitely check it out. Thank you for the information.

ikarasu

Yes it is. And you are right it all depends what they see. They will probably not even notice it. And I am going to pick up some laminate today so it should be good once that goes over it. Also these decals will be outside on the back of peoples cars so it would make more sense to laminate. I did however have a new black head put in. And everything was all calibrated perfect. But I will look into the color calibrations.

Thank you
In that case, don't worry about it. All solvent / eco solvent will have graininess. It's normal, laminate makes it a little less noticable... But you'll still notice it.

Next time your at the store or mall, take a look at the posters / signs there. I used to think our printer was bad (50,000 printer.. ) until I looked at other printed items. Even the high quality posters for shops have dots.

You can't print without dots unless you get a non solvent printer. I haven't seen the other ones.. but I hear aqueous is dot free (don't quote me on that though)

Austin97

In that case, don't worry about it. All solvent / eco solvent will have graininess. It's normal, laminate makes it a little less noticable... But you'll still notice it.

Next time your at the store or mall, take a look at the posters / signs there. I used to think our printer was bad (50,000 printer.. ) until I looked at other printed items. Even the high quality posters for shops have dots.

You can't print without dots unless you get a non solvent printer. I haven't seen the other ones.. but I hear aqueous is dot free (don't quote me on that though)

Thats what I am thinking. I am just analyzing it to much. I did purchase a laminator just because a lot of my work is for outside. And when the laminate goes over it I should see some more improvement. Also a lot depends on the file you created or have sent to you. But the last thing I will get checked out is the encoder to have it cleaned.

Thanks so much