• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Profile Help

timkaz227

I recently bought the i1 Publish 2 software and spectrophotometer from xrite. I understand how to use everything to a point.
Question: Should I be creating my profiles from scratch? or start with the "media profile" and calibrate/profile from that?
Also, I use Versaworks for my RIP. Xrite says to turn off any color management before profiling. I don't see this as an option in Versaworks. Any thoughts or guidance is much appreciated.

IsItFasst

I started with a profile that was close and modified it using the Xrite. Not sure if that is the right way but all my vector colors are pretty much spot on now.

timkaz227

I started with a profile that was close and modified it using the Xrite. Not sure if that is the right way but all my vector colors are pretty much spot on now.

When you print the the Roland Color Chart. How does your "PR26K" look? On the chart it says "blue" it sorta looks purple.

Joe House

Timkaz, I use the steps in VW to create what I can there - Ink restrictions, linearization and ink limits, save the media file (.RML), then print your test charts from the xrite software using that (incomplete) media file and set your color management preset to Density Control Only. Then create your profile with the Xrite software and save it in a known location so you can go back into the media file and assign the icc profile that you just created to that media file.

For a more detailed explanation, be sure to check out the profiling videos on Roland's website.

As for starting from scratch vs copying and modifying, I've done it both ways, but have evolved (or drifted or...) to just doing it from scratch by creating a new Media in VersaWorks.

timkaz227

Timkaz, I use the steps in VW to create what I can there - Ink restrictions, linearization and ink limits, save the media file (.RML), then print your test charts from the xrite software using that (incomplete) media file and set your color management preset to Density Control Only. Then create your profile with the Xrite software and save it in a known location so you can go back into the media file and assign the icc profile that you just created to that media file.

For a more detailed explanation, be sure to check out the profiling videos on Roland's website.

As for starting from scratch vs copying and modifying, I've done it both ways, but have evolved (or drifted or...) to just doing it from scratch by creating a new Media in VersaWorks.
Follow up question: After you've created the profile. Do you use "Density Control Only" when printing? or do you choose one of the other color management options?

Joe House

Follow up question: After you've created the profile. Do you use "Density Control Only" when printing? or do you choose one of the other color management options?
Density Control Only is just for printing your swatches from i1 Publish. Once you've created the media file and linked the icc profile, you would use the color management preset of your choice. (My favorite is Sign and Display, but you may prefer one of the other ones.)

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
There's so many different ways you can do these things depending what you want.

re calibrating profiles is sometimes a good start when you dont know how to make profiles properly. But you really want to start with a good profile. At times a profile could be poor on your printer, but a re calibration can actually fix it and have a close to good profile or even a really good one as long as it's the same media used to create the original profile.

But ideally, you want to create a new profile, make sure it's good and then re calibrate that when there's colour drift. Yes theres ways to measure colour drift. There are programs or you can even write your on through excel. Usually use a IDEAlliance ISO 12647-7 3 row control wedge.

IsItFasst

When you print the the Roland Color Chart. How does your "PR26K" look? On the chart it says "blue" it sorta looks purple.
Yeah, it does print purple and looks blue on my screen. Soft proof on the screen shows it pretty accurately (purple). Normally my vector colors (at least off the Flexi standard swatches) prints pretty accurate.