• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel "Technical Support"

Asuma01

Here's a wonderful exchange I'm going though with Corel "Technical Support".
I especially like the part where he recommends that I use a competitors product instead.
I honestly cant believe what I'm reading... Anyone know how to get a hold of someone competent?

Me
May 2, 16:31
I followed the instructions that you gave but the program still crashes
when I try to open files previously saved in X6. If I open the file in
X6 and try to copy and paste it into a new X8 document, X8 will
immediately crash. What do you suggest doing next?

Alfred Bardaje (Corel)
May 2, 18:04

Hi ***,
Thank you for contacting Corel Technical Support.
Upon receiving your case, I searched the internet to look for a working CDR viewer that I can recommend you.
We are really not allowed to mention a brand name to fair to other developers but for this case, I think it would be best to suggest this program that I discovered.
The name of the viewer is "Inkscape". I will not go into details of what it can do anymore. I installed it on my PC and ran an experiment, and yes, it can open cdr files.
You can download it from the link below;
Link: https://inkscape.org/en/

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.
Regards,
Alfred
Corel Technical Support Services

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, You need to be talking to someone else! I was thinking about upgrading, (X6 currently) but I think I'm going to wait for them to figure some more stuff out. Someone said that you need to completely do a clean uninstall of older programs before installing the new, but I run X5 and X6 both daily with no problems.

Wayne Gilbert

Viewing vs editing

Weird. How is Inkscape going to allow you to edit Corel files!? You will only be able to view them. What was this tech thinking???!!!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Have tried the Corel Forum? You can insert the file there for users to look at. I've never called Corel Tech support in the 20+ years I've been using Corel.

WildWestDesigns

Weird. How is Inkscape going to allow you to edit Corel files!? You will only be able to view them. What was this tech thinking???!!!

Actually you can edit CDR files within Inkscape. Might have to do a lot of ungrouping and it won't preserve the layer hierarchy (my biggest pet peeve with Inkscape), but it can be done.

Be that as it may, I certainly would have tried a method using their own software and not suggest an alternative like that, unless it really was the only thing to do period.

Have tried the Corel Forum? You can insert the file there for users to look at. I've never called Corel Tech support in the 20+ years I've been using Corel.

This would be my suggestion. Or see about other forums that are just users. Only once, for Ai, have I ever tried official support and that was only for something that they could have done. Everything else has been done through googling.