• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X3 to X5 Upgrade or not

ONLINE SIGN GUY

Good question, I went from x3 to x4 online, just uploaded it, not sure skipping a version if all the additional plug ins from x4 are pre loaded onto x5 to detect, might have to buy full x5 version, instead of upgrade?

jiarby

you can upgrade from any previous version, except an OEM or EDU edition.

Attachments

• upgd.jpg
    upgd.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 93

jiarby

I installed x5 demo but it was pretty buggy... kept crashing. Maybe it is better with SP2?

**beware**
Installing the x5 trial on the same machine you use another version (X3 or X4) will kill that old version when you uninstall the trial.
Backup all your settings, macros, templates, workspaces, and preferences.

I use x4 as my "go to" app... dont see a need to update to x5.

drive

i upgraded it shopwide (from x3) for its ability to import the newer illustrator generated files more than anything. some of our people are not illy friendly (stupid, but i have to deal with that).
in fact i had to break from typing this post to prove it does work better to that point to a designer!!!
line drawing tools are improved and so is the trace (x4 may have been when those improvements were implemented)
sp2 seems to work out the bugs i found.
nothing worse than teaching those old dogs new tricks tho!!!

CentralSigns

I was curious because of the low price for upgrading(under $200) and the need to have the newer filters to convert some of the newer files. My copy of X3 will only convert as far as CS2, and I have a designer locally who doesn't get that. So when saving copies of designs the company saves it in the newest version(only CS5) for their customers so there is always issues on my end. This creates issues for my clients every time and they usually have to pay for the files I need, it's just stupid. It's really all about the designer designing a product that can be used by the print company, and thats still not happening. Arrrr THAT'S MY RANT TODAY:banghead::frustrated::banghead:

x3 to x5 is a BIGGGGGGGG Difference. The color management in x5 is sick. Wish they had done it a looooong time ago.

Only problem I had is on my older computers. I guess their processors were good enough for x3, but won't run x5. No problem running it on my new Intel I-5 laptop with windows 7.

If your computer will handle it, DO IT...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I was curious because of the low price for upgrading(under $200) and the need to have the newer filters to convert some of the newer files. My copy of X3 will only convert as far as CS2, and I have a designer locally who doesn't get that. So when saving copies of designs the company saves it in the newest version(only CS5) for their customers so there is always issues on my end. This creates issues for my clients every time and they usually have to pay for the files I need, it's just stupid. It's really all about the designer designing a product that can be used by the print company, and thats still not happening. Arrrr THAT'S MY RANT TODAY:banghead::frustrated::banghead:

I was fighting this same battle for a long time.
If you are upgrading Draw just to be able to open files sent to you it would be better to buy into Illustrator instead.
X5 import has improved but it can still crash and burn depending on what you get from the source.
Along the same lines - little things can change on import and if you don't have a good printed color proof to go along with the file you may not catch the them. Things like strokes missing or changing size, color shifts or drop outs etc...
AI files are best opened in Illustrator no matter how good Corel gets.
I upgraded from x3 to x5 and then upgraded CS3 to CS5 (just the AI ap).
If I was doing it over I would have skipped the X5 upgrade.
I still use x3 every day as x5, even after sp2, has issues on win7 64bit.

wayne k
guam usa

liberty

Corel X5

Be careful on the upgrade or new purchase of X5. We have been using X3 since 2006 and works great. Although it does have probs with certain files we get from AI users with alot of fountain fills etc.

We purchased X5 last week and will not load on my Dells running XP with service pack 3, so beware.

Joe Diaz

I prefer X5. I have had almost 0 problems with it, with the exception that it takes forever and a day to export .jpgs compared to X3. However the improved color management alone is a good enough reason to upgrade.

SignManiac

I like X5 but it does occasionally crash on Win 7 64 bit. And Joe is right about the lag in exporting .jpg's

signmeup

I prefer X5. I have had almost 0 problems with it, with the exception that it takes forever and a day to export .jpgs compared to X3. However the improved color management alone is a good enough reason to upgrade.
If it's good enough for Joe...

I export a lot of jpegs out of Corel. Does it take twice as long or....?

Joe Diaz

I export a lot of jpegs out of Corel. Does it take twice as long or....?

If not longer. Size has a lot to do with it. It's the preview that does it. If you export a tif there is no preview window so that goes much faster. Most of our digital prints are tif. so that's good. But I export jpgs and pngs for the web all the time, and it just chugs.

Roto

Anybody running X5 should get SP3 from the Corel Site. It fioxes a whole lot of things.

Roto

spm

Joe,
TIFFs are the way to go, because everytime you export a JPEG and open it loses Resolution, TIFFs dont.