• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X5 and Win7 64bit?

Colin

I was just going to make a new thread, but saw this one.

I'm thinking of getting a new 6-core Windows 7 machine, and purchase the Adobe CS5 suite and Corel X5. I just learned that Corel is not 64 bit!!! It's 32.........whaddup wid dat? Will that come in the next version, or will they offer a downloadable upgrade?

Seems lame that they wouldn't make it 64.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin,
Illustrator CS5 is not 64bit either, just Photoshop.
Along with Flexisign 10 - lame'ness loves company.

wayne k
guam usa

SignManiac

I just finished putting Win 7 Ultimate on this box today along with CorelX5...So far, so good. I'm still a bit apprehensive as to whether I'll have any compatibility issues. What a bitch doing a total re-install of everything. 600 gigs is a lot of crap to load :)

Oh and I just ordered another 8 gigs of ram to bring it up to 12 gigs, that was the only reason for the upgrade.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I still get little glitches when cutting and pasting from the clipboard after that last service patch. Annoying but not show stopping.
I do get regular lockups working with bitmaps in photopaint. I just drop down to PP X4 and I can get the work done.
Maybe one more patch will do the trick

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

Illustrator CS5 is not 64bit either, just Photoshop.

Forgive my computer techno ignorance, but if only Photoshop (and perhaps a scant few other software that we'll never use) are 64 bit, and many older software won't run on a 64 bit 7 machine but likely will on a 32 bit Windows 7, why would anyone get a 64?

Is 7 "Pro" inherently a 64 bit, or can it be had as a 32?

If one buys a 32 bit 7 machine, is it a simple matter of buying & installing a 64 bit version of 7 later when one wants to?

I'm so weak on all this stuff.

I'm still hopeful that I can get my ancient (but beloved) 16 bit ScanVec Inspire 1.6 to run on a new Windows 7 32 bit machine, but from what I've read on other threads, there's no way it'll work on a 64 bit. Although it was written for '98, I've had it running perfectly on XP with a "HDD32" HASP patch for years. (There's also my 18 years of customer/logo/misc .sci files that are invaluable). Any insight on my chances with that?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If inspire is running under XP now it should run under win7 64 or 32bit using the XP Mode that is available on Win7 pro & up. At least that is the theory, I don't have any first hand experience using it. Pretty sure someone else who knows this stuff will chime in.
As far as who needs 64 bit, it is just the next step up. Sooner or later all the new stuff will run only in 64bit (until that changes again).
Worst case, see if you can get a fairly new, basic version of Flexi (maybe second hand) it will read sci files so you can open and export them.

My 3D stuff takes full advantage of the extra memory available under 64.

wayne k
guam usa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Google says XP mode under Win 7 64bit is a 32bit service WinXP 32bit+ sp3 running as a virtual machine.
If you trust google then Inspire should run in that mode.

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

Thanks. I'll have the luxury of having the new machine side by side my present XP computer (and "switched" too) so I'll be able to ease into it over time.

Amazon.ca seems like the best deal for Corel X5.

SoftwareKing.ca for Adobe CS5.

Where's that Visa card........

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sounds good.
Don't you get some kind of insider deal with Corel being a Canadian company?

wayne k
guam usa

signmeup

Colin, send me a small sci file and I'll see if I can open it with Flexi Starter. I paid 90 bucks for it new from a dealer so If it works at least you'll know you can open your files for cheap on a W7 machine.

Also, I don't have W7 Pro just regular 64 bit Home and I have installed lots of XP 32 bit software. It just installs and runs normally.

SignManiac

Well I don't want to jinx myself, but so far no crashes or problems with Win7 and X5... I could sure use some luck this time around!