• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X7 gone crazy

blufftonsignguy

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced crazy stuff in Coreldraw X7? I am attempting to reset my duplication points, but following the directions in the help guide, the horizontal and vertical values are not there. So I tried to use the step and repeat to do what I needed, and thats where it really went crazy. I have tried all imaginable combinations, but it results stay the same. For instance, i tried to step and repeat a square .1" right and .1" down. That worked fine but was way more than .1". So i tried to change the value to .05" both directions. It stepped and repeated to the exact same location as the .1"

You can't get any help from coreldraw when you need it. I'm getting so fed up with a great program!

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced crazy stuff in Coreldraw X7? I am attempting to reset my duplication points, but following the directions in the help guide, the horizontal and vertical values are not there. So I tried to use the step and repeat to do what I needed, and thats where it really went crazy. I have tried all imaginable combinations, but it results stay the same. For instance, i tried to step and repeat a square .1" right and .1" down. That worked fine but was way more than .1". So i tried to change the value to .05" both directions. It stepped and repeated to the exact same location as the .1"

You can't get any help from coreldraw when you need it. I'm getting so fed up with a great program!

Is it really that great if it doesn't work correctly and the tech support is crap. I know with flexi I can have a person on the phone in a minute and they will answer all of my questions. It might have hiccups now and then but nothing we can't work around with great help from SAi. Doesn't sound like you get the same thing from corel and that is a bummer.

blufftonsignguy

Is it really that great if it doesn't work correctly and the tech support is crap. I know with flexi I can have a person on the phone in a minute and they will answer all of my questions. It might have hiccups now and then but nothing we can't work around with great help from SAi. Doesn't sound like you get the same thing from corel and that is a bummer.

I can say with experience, tech support and help from coreldraw sucks. I tried to put it a polite way, but there really isn't. I haven't worked much in flexi, but I do know it is a great program. I have thought about switching over to flexi before, I think I may just revisit that thought again!

I can say with experience, tech support and help from coreldraw sucks. I tried to put it a polite way, but there really isn't. I haven't worked much in flexi, but I do know it is a great program. I have thought about switching over to flexi before, I think I may just revisit that thought again!

Contact flexi and have them send you a free trial. It won't let you try the print or cut feature but you will be able to test out the program and see how you like it.

player

Stay away from Flexi. It sucks in many other ways. Especially the price. The view in Flexi is low low resolution. It is clunky. Go with Adobe Illustrator. Or Signlab Print Cut for $750.

neato

Corel is much more robust than Flexi. I wouldn't switch. I still can't understand how a program designed for the sign industry wouldn't support transparencies on bitmaps. Unless that's changed with the newer versions.

I'm surprised you're having these issues with Corel. Have you tried posting your issue on the Corel Draw forums? Lot's of smart corel users there.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
We use CorelDRAW, Flexi and Adobe Creative Cloud in my workplace. I have many years of experience using them all. They all have their unique advantages and disadvantages.

For working on projects with artwork at full size levels and sending artwork to computerized routing tables Flexi is vastly superior to both CorelDRAW and Illustrator. It has a much larger maximum work space than the 1800" X 1800" absolute limit of CorelDRAW or the puny 227" X 227" limit of Illustrator. CorelDRAW and Illustrator aren't very good at generating DXF or HPGL PLT files.

Flexi is also better at quickly generating and cutting vinyl lettering projects. In Flexi you can actually size lettering accurately according to cap height. CorelDRAW and Illustrator do not have the capability, with Illustrator being more glaringly stupid with the box it puts around everything.

I prefer the tool set in CorelDRAW for creating technical drawings. Flexi's tool & menu set is pretty good, but its arrangement is cumbersome. Illustrator sucks for technical drawing work; its tool & menu system is so limited and scattered users are forced to buy add-ons like CADtools from Hot Door.

Adobe Illustrator is better at controlling colors for digital print output. It's vastly superior to Corel for integration with apps like Photoshop and InDesign. Some of its brush and pattern on path effects are unique to Illustrator. It was way ahead of CorelDRAW on supporting OpenType font functions, levels of transparency on gradient stops and a few other unique things.

I could go on and on with various things any of these apps does better than the others. Any of those pluses are no good if the apps have serious bugs. I've had some bad issues with CorelDRAW X7 on my home laptop running Win 7 Ultimate. We use X6 and X3 at my work; they seem more stable. Only in the last update or so X7 has become more stable.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I use Corel draw exclusively and have never had a problem with it. It can be quite complicated and 9 times out of 10, its operator error. There is always holding f8 while double clicking the icon to start it. Resets to factory settings.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I've been using CorelDRAW for over 20 years. I think it's a must-have program for sign shops. But I'm not going to cheer-lead for it. Some releases have been better than others.

One of my biggest gripes with CorelDRAW X7 is that it can be unpredictable in how it handles editable text objects when saving copies of files down to earlier versions, even version X6 which supports all OpenType features. Sometimes X7 will still convert artistic text and blocks of paragraph text to objects anyway, despite my having clicked "keep text objects editable" on the dialog box when saving.

player

We use CorelDRAW, Flexi and Adobe Creative Cloud in my workplace. I have many years of experience using them all. They all have their unique advantages and disadvantages.

For working on projects with artwork at full size levels and sending artwork to computerized routing tables Flexi is vastly superior to both CorelDRAW and Illustrator. It has a much larger maximum work space than the 1800" X 1800" absolute limit of CorelDRAW or the puny 227" X 227" limit of Illustrator. CorelDRAW and Illustrator aren't very good at generating DXF or HPGL PLT files.

Flexi is also better at quickly generating and cutting vinyl lettering projects. In Flexi you can actually size lettering accurately according to cap height. CorelDRAW and Illustrator do not have the capability, with Illustrator being more glaringly stupid with the box it puts around everything.

I prefer the tool set in CorelDRAW for creating technical drawings. Flexi's tool & menu set is pretty good, but its arrangement is cumbersome. Illustrator sucks for technical drawing work; its tool & menu system is so limited and scattered users are forced to buy add-ons like CADtools from Hot Door.

Adobe Illustrator is better at controlling colors for digital print output. It's vastly superior to Corel for integration with apps like Photoshop and InDesign. Some of its brush and pattern on path effects are unique to Illustrator. It was way ahead of CorelDRAW on supporting OpenType font functions, levels of transparency on gradient stops and a few other unique things.

I could go on and on with various things any of these apps does better than the others. Any of those pluses are no good if the apps have serious bugs. I've had some bad issues with CorelDRAW X7 on my home laptop running Win 7 Ultimate. We use X6 and X3 at my work; they seem more stable. Only in the last update or so X7 has become more stable.

Excellent. If you had Signlab you would be able to cover everything. I wonder how Signlab stacks up to the others?

ams

CorelDraw is in every way better than Flexi. Many users just don't know how to use it. So they bash the program.
I admit X7 is a little hard to use and I don't like the layout, but X4 is the way to go, no problems ever.

OldPaint

corel user EXCLUSIVELY since 1992..........have worked in all the other "sign programs" and STILL DO EVERYTHING IN COREL)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) corels history of tech support.........has been this way since THEN))) nothing new here. X7 is by far.........some good stuff, but also some crap that shoulda never been changed from X3, X4, X5, X6.
corels leaps of technology dont happen in every version. most are just a few little tweeks here and there and a couple versions were radical changes.
3.0-4.0 would cut vinyl with a driver from roland(1992). only problem was desktop workspace was only 30" X 30".
5.0-6.0 corel leased the cutting engine/code to a company called EURO-CUT/CO-CUT. at the trade shows this company was touting how well their program worked fron WITHIN COREL.......... it was corels code)))))
big change came with the only true corel version........7!!!! increased desktop workspace to 150 feet X 150 feet!!!!!
better font handling with BITSTREAM, and faster AND THEY PUT BACK the cutting engine/code. so again it was a cutting program!!!!!! corel 8..........was a merger between COREL and XARA. or how corel took all the good things XARA did, added then to corel...........and then kicked XARA to the curb(((( so 9, 10, 11, 12.........all were a COREL/XARA combination. X series just continued it added some speed and really good trace program.
but mostly it is a ROCK SOLID sign program. in all my years working it, i have had only a cople really bad problems with it. crashes........almost never, when it does i have it set to save every 5 minute......so i never lost much. i have X7......NOT IMPRESSED.
i still do most of work in X3, as i am more familiar with it.
SIGN LAB....... is the sign worlds COREL...... FLEXI..... does a decent job but is a lot clunkyer then corel. and like others have said..........
most problems with corel are OPERATOR ERROR.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
CorelDraw is in every way better than Flexi. Many users just don't know how to use it. So they bash the program.

CorelDRAW is better than Flexi in some ways, but it is inferior to Flexi in other ways. The same thing goes for any CorelDRAW vs. Adobe Illustrator comparisons. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses -weaknesses that make it necessary for me to use some other software to get a specific task done fast.

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about on this subject. I've been using CorelDRAW since 1990 when it was in its very primitive version 1 phase on Windows 2.1. I got my first personal license of it with version 3. At my shop we bought upgrades 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 like clock-work. We stayed on v9 for awhile, skipping versions 10 and 11. Then we got 12 and X3. Skipped X4. Version X5 was a decent, stable upgrade. Was forced to upgrade to X6 due to new hardware running Win 8 Pro. I upgraded my personal license to X7, but my shop has stayed with X6.

CorelDRAW is a good program, but I won't be a fan-boy for it. There is no benefit in doing that. If a version release of CorelDRAW has some bugs or is lacking a certain feature or they fixed something that wasn't broken, I'm not going to stay quiet about it. I regretted my purchase of the X7 upgrade at first. It has definitely been a more buggy version cycle than X6.

zedd2006

I love corel draw. I love it for it's live tracing abilities which imo is better than illustrator and flexi. I love it for it's ease of use. For example, once you become familiar with the layout everything is so obvious to use. You need to move text to a path then you click the icon for it. You can move the text along the path, enlarge easily and etc. In flexi not so simple. You can type to a path but i haven't found away to move it afterwards.

But anyway, yeah i agree, try resetting to default.

blufftonsignguy

CorelDRAW is better than Flexi in some ways, but it is inferior to Flexi in other ways. The same thing goes for any CorelDRAW vs. Adobe Illustrator comparisons. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses -weaknesses that make it necessary for me to use some other software to get a specific task done fast.

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about on this subject. I've been using CorelDRAW since 1990 when it was in its very primitive version 1 phase on Windows 2.1. I got my first personal license of it with version 3. At my shop we bought upgrades 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 like clock-work. We stayed on v9 for awhile, skipping versions 10 and 11. Then we got 12 and X3. Skipped X4. Version X5 was a decent, stable upgrade. Was forced to upgrade to X6 due to new hardware running Win 8 Pro. I upgraded my personal license to X7, but my shop has stayed with X6.

CorelDRAW is a good program, but I won't be a fan-boy for it. There is no benefit in doing that. If a version release of CorelDRAW has some bugs or is lacking a certain feature or they fixed something that wasn't broken, I'm not going to stay quiet about it. I regretted my purchase of the X7 upgrade at first. It has definitely been a more buggy version cycle than X6.

Thanks for everyone's reply's. However, I didn't see where any of it helped my problem. Not looking for free artwork, but I am trying to design a rope border around an oval that is 60"x32". I create my first object to start off. When I go to duplicate it around the oval is where I am having my problems. The problem is changing the location of the duplication. I followed the help guides exactly to the T, but when i get to where I should be able to change the values, there is nothing there to change them (refer to original post).

I agree Coredraw is a great program that integrates a lot of other functions from other programs, but the customer support from Coreldraw is way down in the dumps. So if anyone has information that could help me with what I am trying to do, it would be greatly appreciated! You can inbox me if you would like.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
If you're trying to get a rope like effect wrapping around an oval I think the best approach would be by using Corel's blend tools. You can attach a blend from one source object to another along the length of a path and have those objects rotate with the path. Sometimes this works pretty well and other times it's a little clunky. Adobe Illustrator will allow patterns to be attached to paths. These work best with subtle curves. They don't work so well on anything tight.

OldPaint

like this?

Attachments

• BBPOINT.jpg
    BBPOINT.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 145