Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coreldraw, Finecut Contour?

Discussion in 'Corel' started by LUV DEM TIGERS, Jun 11, 2017.

1. LUV DEM TIGERS

LUV DEM TIGERS Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Irmo, SC
    I am using Coreldraw X7 and Finecut 8 and trying to cut using a Mimaki Cutter (which really doesn't matter because I think it is a Corel/Finecut issue I am having). Using this example: I draw a circle. I then contour it in Coreldraw in order to to make basically a ring. When I try and cut it using finecut it won't do anything with it. When I contour a font, it will cut, but when I contour a shape it won't cut. Has anyone had this issue and is there a way to resolve it?

Tags:
  2. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    Is it possible you might need to Break Contour Group Apart the shape before cutting? -- Select contour shape by clicking on it (not the original shape), then Arrange/Break Contour Group Apart (or Ctrl-K) -- this establishes two separate shapes as opposed to one shape with an outline contour attribute.

See if that works.

3. myront

myront Active Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Yes, as stated, you have to either break the contour apart or make sure you have the "contour group" selected not just the "control ellipse/curve)".
    Contours and drop shadows annoyed me so much that I made a macro that would automatically select both no matter which one I click on.
    i.e. draw a shape then add drop shadow. Now select the shape and duplicate it and now you have the shape without the drop shadow. The only way to dup both the shadow AND shape is to ensure you click on the shadow first.