• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDRAW X6 Annoying Bugs

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
At the beginning of December I upgraded from CorelDRAW X5 to version X6. The upgrade turned out to be necessary since my new desktop computer, running Windows 8 Professional 64-bit, refused to install X5. BTW, the new machine is a Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition pretty well loaded thanks to a Black Friday deal.

I've seen a number of annoying bugs in CorelDRAW X6. The build that's running is version 16.2.0.998 (64-bit version). I'm wondering if others are seeing the same bugs in Windows 8 or other versions of Windows.

Here's the list of what I've seen so far:

Ctrl-Z keyboard shortcut for undo sometimes refuses to work, forcing the user to go to the edit menu and select the undo command.

Ctrl-R (repeat) doesn't work or only works once on certain commands like Combine.

Anchor point/node alignment doesn't work properly. Normally nodes will align to the last node selected. Now nodes just align to whatever node Corel randomly chooses regardless of which node was selected first or last.

When using artistic text the font will change to Arial (or another specified default) if the lettering is deleted to the beginning of the line using the backspace key.

When opening CorelDRAW files saved in earlier versions fonts in the document are sometimes overlooked causing the font substitution dialog box to appear. But then there are no fonts listed in the dialog box. Font changes have to be made after the file is opened; one has to hopefully remember just what fonts were used in the old document.

CorelDRAW X6 often overlooks default text settings for paragraph text and artistic text set in files saved in previous versions of CorelDRAW.

If you save a file down to an earlier version of CorelDRAW and the artwork has any arrowheads in it the arrowheads will disappear when the file is reopened.

Palettes, such as the Color Docker or Text Properties palette, open to maximum size whenever the CorelDRAW window is minimized and then opened again. This is bug existed in CorelDRAW X5.

The Size tab in Transformations is always set with proportional scaling turned on whenever CorelDRAW X6 is launched. It doesn't remember if the setting is checked or unchecked.

Powerclip: When extracting contents from a Powerclip container object the container object is left with a strange "X" through it. There seems to be no way to get rid of the "X" and return the object to its original pre-Powerclip container state.

ashleighfiddler

Hey Bobby, I am running a very similar setup to yours, we upgraded to Dell xps 8500s w/ windows 8 in December as well, along with Corel X6. Seems to be a lot of bugs! I'm seeing most of the same issues that you are.

The Powerclip issue, however, is a new thing in X6. Right-click on the empty frame with the X through it, and scroll to "frame type" and select None. It will turn the frame back into a regular object.

idsignsil

I am running windows 7 - 64 bit with X6 and have many of the same issues as well. Mainly the font issues. My other big problem is after I am done with a file and save. I hit the x to close out of the job, (not the one to close X6), and I get a quit responding error. I then have to force quit X6 and restart. There is no rime or reason, it just happens randomly on various jobs and files.

CanuckSigns

I wish I had not upgraded.

Same here, we wnt back to x5 after a few weeks. the biggest issue we had was when downsaving to corel x3 format, the file wouldn't open in corel x3, it would crash every time, on 5 different computers.

I've been happy with X5, unless they come out with some amazing new features, i don't see the need to change.

WildWestDesigns

I'm hoping that by the time that my embroidery digitizing software comes out with a new version (rumored to be the fall of this year) that the bugs in X6 are worked out. My embroidery software is interfaced directly with X6, so if it's still buggy by the time fall comes around, that might be a problem for me.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
AFAIK, if you're running Windows 8 -and that would likely be the case when buying a new computer- you'll be stuck having to upgrade to CorelDRAW X6. I tried installing CorelDRAW X5 but it wouldn't load. I had to order the upgrade. To get by I installed the trial version of X6. I couldn't install any updates to X6 into the trial version. Had to wait for the boxed software to arrive. When it did, I had to uninstall the trial version and then install the boxed copy (the serial number wouldn't work on the trial copy; I presume because I ordered an upgrade).

Even though CorelDRAW X6 has lots of bugs, the folks at Corel did manage to program in a new activation scheme kind of like what Adobe has been using for years. Anyone who has been installing the same copy of CorelDRAW on multiple computers will now have to buy separate copies if the want to run X6 on multiple PCs. Of course, the verbiage in the EULA has always stated the user can install CorelDRAW on only one machine. The software now forces the user to follow the rule.

I think if Corel is going to use an activation system to enforce the EULA they should consider it a greater priority to fix those bugs.

ashleighfiddler said:
The Powerclip issue, however, is a new thing in X6. Right-click on the empty frame with the X through it, and scroll to "frame type" and select None. It will turn the frame back into a regular object.

Thanks for the tip!

WildWestDesigns

AFAIK, if you're running Windows 8 -and that would likely be the case when buying a new computer- you'll be stuck having to upgrade to CorelDRAW X6. I tried installing CorelDRAW X5 but it wouldn't load. I had to order the upgrade. To get by I installed the trial version of X6. I couldn't install any updates to X6 into the trial version. Had to wait for the boxed software to arrive. When it did, I had to uninstall the trial version and then install the boxed copy (the serial number wouldn't work on the trial copy; I presume because I ordered an upgrade).

Even though CorelDRAW X6 has lots of bugs, the folks at Corel did manage to program in a new activation scheme kind of like what Adobe has been using for years. Anyone who has been installing the same copy of CorelDRAW on multiple computers will now have to buy separate copies if the want to run X6 on multiple PCs. Of course, the verbiage in the EULA has always stated the user can install CorelDRAW on only one machine. The software now forces the user to follow the rule.

That's no biggie for me, considering my program uses a dongle, I've been forced to do it that way since Corel has been integrated with Wilcom. However, we can install it on multiple computers, just only one can be active at a time (unless you hack the dongle).

pjfmeister

...the most annoying is the lockup/program crash when you close out a job...My version has been installed for about a month and is just now doing this little trick.

idsignsil

pjfmeister, are you running Win 7 64 or Win 8? So far you are the only other person besides myself, who I have heard of, that is having the same problem.

signage

Have either of you tried restarting corel while holding down F8? Now this resets everything back to defaults, so if you have a customized work space you may want to save it first!

idsignsil

Brian, I have tried that a few times. I have also gone in and set X6 to highest priority for memory use. I also read/saw a post that said to start X6 before all other programs. None of this has seemed to help.

Steve C.

The only problem in the list that has been a concern for me is the power clip
issue. Thank for the fix suggestion on that one. For my part, the fact that
Corel has finally come around to supporting open type auto ligatures is worth
the minor bugs. It is fantastic to use fonts with these features. I've been
complaining for a long time that Corel was so slow to offer this. Kudos to Corel.
I really hate that the flyout menus drop down now, instead of out.

idsignsil

Brian, I am running 16 GB of Ram

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 178

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Basic info for my PC:
CPU: Core i7 3770 quad core, 3.4GHz
RAM: 24GB
Video Card: 2GB nVidia GeForce GTX 660
Hard Disc: 2TB Sata 6 Gb/s hard disc with 32GB solid state cache

Running Corel version 16.2.0.998

I can't seem to find a setting within CorelDRAW X6 to manually set the amount of RAM it can use. Under "System Info" in the "About CorelDRAW" dialog box it shows available physical memory at 21.7GB.

Steve C. said:
Corel has finally come around to supporting open type auto ligatures is worth
the minor bugs.

Some of these bugs aren't minor. For one thing I consider the lack of control on anchor point/node alignment to be a GIGANTIC fundamental problem. I have to use time wasting work around methods, like dragging out guides and snapping points to them. Corel needs to fix that problem ASAP. For many years anchor point alignment was one of the biggest strengths CorelDRAW had over Adobe Illustrator. Throughout the late 1980s on into this past decade Illustrator didn't give any control on how whole objects or individual points would align, which made it suck pretty bad for technical drawing work. Illustrator finally added anchor point alignment control (was it CS3?), but the extra and careful clicking one must do makes the feature a PITA to use. CorelDRAW made it a LOT easier. Now that feature is broken in X6. For me it's a big enough issue that if I had to choose between OpenType ligatures and being able to control the alignment of anchor points I'd probably choose the latter. I could always open the Character Map utility to copy/paste certain OpenType glyphs into artwork.

WildWestDesigns

Basic info for my PC:
CPU: Core i7 3770 quad core, 3.4GHz
RAM: 24GB
Video Card: 2GB nVidia GeForce GTX 660
Hard Disc: 2TB Sata 6 Gb/s hard disc with 32GB solid state cache

Running Corel version 16.2.0.998

I can't seem to find a setting within CorelDRAW X6 to manually set the amount of RAM it can use. Under "System Info" in the "About CorelDRAW" dialog box it shows available physical memory at 21.7GB.

It's not going to be able to use all 24 GB of that ram anyway. Between OS and any "behind the scenes" processes that you may be running, what's left for Corel to use might actually be that 21.7GB.

I know that if I just have my computer idling, no program open (like EmbroideryStudio, Ai etc), it uses 2.4 GB of ram, just on that alone. So any 64 bit program that I have won't be able to use all of the RAM.