• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDraw X7

Techman

Yeah but MAC and Adobe are like MAC and CHEESE The perfect combination. Corel cant get it right for PC platform just think how challenging it would be on a MAC.

Hardly a valid comment worthy of the band width to post it. Obviously a comment from someone who has never used corel draw on a PC let alone on a MAC.. Or maybe its another one of those comments from the adobe fundamentalist fanboy gang that Adobe is the only software worthy of life .

There is plenty to dislike about adobe. Especially Illustrator with all its demands fo expensive plugins just to get it to act in the same league as Corel draw does. Oh yes, Corel includes all the functions that Illy make a user pay extra to get. Sorry to point that out..

David Wright

Corel listens to sign people. Also they design with some thought towards our industry.
Great ,moderately priced product for many years, use an older version and you will be just as satisfied.

Stanton

Corel listens to sign people. Also they design with some thought towards our industry.
Great ,moderately priced product for many years, use an older version and you will be just as satisfied.

Yep.

apple is for pies, and candy and finger painting and stuff. Children and games.

wanna do some real work?

CorelDRAW is how it is done.

Craig Sjoquist

Oh good maybe this year. I'll be able to buy X6 at price I can afford.

Tried working with X3 but PC was replaced before I can really learn much, bought X5 but not from Corel so it got disconnected.

Since I do everything by hand my priority for software is low, but I surely like to make the leap at least for some work.

Shadowglen

Yeah I know when I'm thinking about a good quality meal, MAC and CHEESE is the first thing that comes to mind. :rolleyes: So yeah perhaps your analogy is right. Clearly you haven't used the same program we've had so much great luck with. You're probably just another one of the many folks I've run into in this business who seem to think trashing a tool set and equipment they clearly haven't given a chance is some sort of right of passage and an essential part of being a "designer". I'm kind of tired of hearing it. I know plenty of folks who create stunning designs that will knock your socks off using CorelDRAW and on a PC.

Let me start out first with a humble apology too all I may have offended. Mr. Diaz I have watched your videos and seen your work on the forum and am blown away. You are a master with Corel, and admittedly I do not know the full potential of What Corel has to offer.

After I made the comments and saw others have been running Corel without crashes or minimal crashes I started to think that maybe it was my computer and the hardware so I started the thread about “what computer others were using with Corel”. That just seemed to turn into an Intel vs AMD war and did not seem to point towards my hardware being the culprit of the crashes.

I am not new to Corel I have been running Corel for 19 years having started with Corel 4. In the mid nineties I took Design classes using Corel Draw at the local University and loved working with all of the shading and blending tools. Back in the day I would squeeze everything I could out of Corel and was hungry to learn new tips and tricks but a majority of the work we did in the early years of Business 1995-97 were one color, sometimes 2 color designs or the simple redrawing of a logo for a client that we would have printed on promotional products. We also did Rubber (polymer) Stamps hence the original name of the business "Dakota Rubber Stamp”. So Corel was used in its most fundamental format for flat simple logo’s and typesetting, not for actual designing. Even when we got into signs in the late 90’s it was pretty much cut vinyl applied on signs and banners so once again pretty basic stuff any shading effects would be done with Frog Juice or One Shot in the Air brush.

In 2006 we brought in our first Laser engraver. This led to me buckling down and trying to catch up with some of the tools in Corel that I had been ignoring, but with laser engraving we were still working with just black /white and halftones for shading so I really did not spread my Corel wings once again.
So last year, jumping into the world of full color large format digital printing I have been trying to learn as much as I can and have been learning a lot but the crashes are very frustrating hence my initial anger toward my Corel products. Obviously I would not still be using a product for almost 20 years if I truly hated it.

I will continue to try and figure out what I am doing wrong because it must be pilot error. Thanks, and again I did not mean to bash Corel so hard, just been having a lot of issues with the program the last few weeks that have led to many extra hours redoing things. I was having a moment. I will address my ill comparison to Adobe in my next post addressing “techmans” comments.

Shadowglen

Hardly a valid comment worthy of the band width to post it. Obviously a comment from someone who has never used corel draw on a PC let alone on a MAC.. Or maybe its another one of those comments from the adobe fundamentalist fanboy gang that Adobe is the only software worthy of life .

There is plenty to dislike about adobe. Especially Illustrator with all its demands fo expensive plugins just to get it to act in the same league as Corel draw does. Oh yes, Corel includes all the functions that Illy make a user pay extra to get. Sorry to point that out..

Yes it was an uneducated comment having never actually used adobe. I know several graphic artists and print shops that do use and love Adobe. That being said those artists are not in the sign business. In visiting with a lot of them about some of the issues I run into with Corel they boast about the stability and the the ease of Adobe. Again I was trusting others without having used the product myself. So I hope to sort out my problems with Corel because I have years invested in the software and upgrades. Yes I do need to learn more of the capabilities. but need to figure out the stability issues first. specially when you go to save a file and the simple act of that locks the program up.

OldPaint

shadowglenn.........the 1st problem with any program being stable is the health of the computer your runnin it on. NOW THIS IS A WHOLE NUTHER QUESTION. not so much a COREL problem as EQUIPMENT problem.
things to check are numerous...VIRUS on a computer..... bad ram, weak fans, list can go on and on.
when did the crashes start? what programs did you have running when the 1st crash occured? same question with consecutive crashes. some problem is there and you seem to know how to "trigger it."
i gather you are connected to the internet on that computer. do you have AVAST virus scanner? its free........does a good job of finding stuff. if that dont work, there are others that do good like SEARCH & DESTROY.....i am 95% sure its something other then COREL......

Shadowglen

shadowglenn.........the 1st problem with any program being stable is the health of the computer your runnin it on. NOW THIS IS A WHOLE NUTHER QUESTION. not so much a COREL problem as EQUIPMENT problem.
things to check are numerous...VIRUS on a computer..... bad ram, weak fans, list can go on and on.
when did the crashes start? what programs did you have running when the 1st crash occured? same question with consecutive crashes. some problem is there and you seem to know how to "trigger it."
i gather you are connected to the internet on that computer. do you have AVAST virus scanner? its free........does a good job of finding stuff. if that dont work, there are others that do good like SEARCH & DESTROY.....i am 95% sure its something other then COREL......

I am running:

HP Compaq Elete 8300cmt
intell core i7-3770 cpu 3.4 Ghz
16 gig of RAM
64 bit operating system.

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1696 mb

The computer is less than a Year old. I run Norton 2013 on it and scan for viruses. I was visiting with another forum member and we are looking into the fonts. I have 725 fonts installed all of the same ones on each machine that runs Corel. thinking this may have something to do with it. Like I have said I have ruled out it being corel after seeing all of this just need to start eliminating things on this end. The crashes are almost a guarantee when I run auto trace. this also happens on my rip machine that has identical specs as design machine above but only runs Corel, Versaworks, and norton. the other times it or Photoshop crash are when editing large files. Funny thing was I was trying to export a group of 72 4" round stickers to an eps file to print and cut yesterday. when I opened the low res preview in versaworks you could not tell the imported eps had only a little bit of the fountain fill and the rest of the object was blank. I went back to my design computer and tried to import the eps and it said "An error occurred while processing (the file name) The file cannot be opened. so I opened the original corel file and exported it as a pdf and it went fine. right now I am doing the same thing with just black letter text in a rounded corner box as a cut line. when I export as an eps it has the magenta hairline to cut. when I import the file back in the magenta hairline tuns into a black hairline. I am going through settings because it looks like something may have been changed but have not found anything yet. as I said some of this is pilot error but some is just plain inconsistent.

OldPaint

from graphics unleashed:
In talking with someone at Corel, I've learned that the content (clipart, fonts, photos) is not included on the DVD for CorelDRAW X7 and the only way to get it is to download individual pieces of content through Corel CONNECT. I find this news very disappointing and I'm guessing this will be an unpopular decision.

graphicwarning

from graphics unleashed:
In talking with someone at Corel, I've learned that the content (clipart, fonts, photos) is not included on the DVD for CorelDRAW X7 and the only way to get it is to download individual pieces of content through Corel CONNECT. I find this news very disappointing and I'm guessing this will be an unpopular decision.

I personally like this, as my PC doesn't even have a CD/DVD drive. Being able to download the content for me is much faster than digging through a DVD... not to mention I usually lose them anyway.

And so far... the online content has been readily available and I haven't encountered any issues.

graphicwarning

graphic........have you ever d/l corel graphics finder....... ROMCAT? its free..................

Yeah... I used it way back in the X3/X4 early days... but haven't used it for years. And if I am not mistaken, it is not compatible on any version newer than X4?

OldPaint

iam still on X3....romcat works.....didnt see much improvements in X4, X5 or X6 to spring for any of em....

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Funny, I have a Mac and my Corel works just fine! :cool:

I use illustrator when I have too... and I truly have nothing against it, but I prefer Corel many times over. I too wish there was a native Mac version, but in absence of that... it works just fine via VMWare in Unity view and I can't tell it's actually running on windows...

What combo are getting success with running corel on a mac? I have used both fusion and parallels and corel is unstable in both. I don't really want to go the dual boot route.

graphicwarning

What combo are getting success with running corel on a mac? I have used both fusion and parallels and corel is unstable in both. I don't really want to go the dual boot route.

I'm using VMWare Fusion 5, and everything works fine on this end. I didn't want to use dual boot either, and decided to try VMWare and it's worked great ever since.

54warrior

Glad to hear about the improved Gradient tools. They were an improvement in X6 vs. X5, so excited that its going to be even better in X7.

I love DRAW. Illustrator is mind numbing. I only use Illustrator for opening/saving files, and also the Trace functionality. It is a touch better than DRAW.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'm only thinking about getting the CorelDRAW X7 upgrade to hopefully overcome a couple bugs I've endured with X6. Reverting to X5 or earlier wasn't an option since I'm using a new PC running Win 8 Pro. A couple of the updates with X6 did more to break things than improve the application, like the nonsense they pulled with the font menu. Corel got a flood of complaints over that goof. Hopefully X7 has that fixed and has type display performance back to normal.

Does anyone know if the trial version of X7 will play nice with an existing X6 installation?

In terms of the new features Corel is advertising with X7, I'm not very impressed. A couple of these advertised new X7 features were premium subscription features in X6 (like the font playground and creating QR codes). I have the feeling the enhanced vector & bitmap pattern fill feature is a way to improve compatibility with Illustrator CS6 & CC.

Elliptical gradients sounds interesting, but I wouldn't use that feature on any artwork that had to be exported from Corel into our shop's other programs, such as Illustrator, Photoshop, Flexi, Roland VersaWorks, etc. Likewise, I've been very careful about using certain effects in the latest versions of Illustrator, such as gradients on strokes for instance.

Support for multiple monitors is a long overdue feature. CorelDRAW has been ahead of its time (or at least well ahead of Illustrator and Freehand in certain areas) over the years. But CDR should have added multi-display support at least three or four versions ago. This goes down as one of those "finally" things, like them finally adding proper OpenType support in X6.

I wondered if Corel might release a Mac version of X7. I know they were studying the issue. Obviously they didn't see enough sales potential on the Mac platform to follow through with it. OSX sales of CorelDRAW 11 weren't exactly great.

Regarding the whole Adobe vs. Corel rivalry, I think it's pretty silly. I don't get the people who take fanboy stances on either application. I've been using both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator for more than 20 years and greatly appreciate the unique features found in both programs. I'd be less productive if I was forced to use only CorelDRAW or Illustrator. In that regard, I feel bad for Mac users not being able to run CorelDRAW natively in OSX. Running Corel in a Windows shell on a Mac is better than nothing. But it still seems like a kludge. No OSX version of Corel is one of the main deal breakers on me considering a Mac for a new computer purchase. There are other deal breakers too, but that's a big one.