• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating sequential numbered artwork

uv

Hi all,

I wanted to know if anyone knows how to generate a graphic with a sequential number?
Im using illustrator.

Thanks in advance

GB2

Old Member
Hi all,

I wanted to know if anyone knows how to generate a graphic with a sequential number?
Im using illustrator.

Thanks in advance
Illustrator is not the program to use for sequential numbering, you would be better off to use InDesign, Flexi, or Gerber Omega for that. Is this a one time thing or something you are looking to do regularly? If you don't have access to any of those programs I could help you.

Phenex

While not perhaps ideal, Illustrator does have the capability of using variable data. You could set up the list of numbers you need using Excel or Google Docs and then feed it into Illustrator.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I think you'd either have to find or write your own macro to get Illustrator to do it.
Along with the programs GB2 mentioned, most industry specific programs have the feature- and I think I remember seeing a macro posted here in the past to use the function in CorelDraw.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I think you'd either have to find or write your own macro to get Illustrator to do it.
Along with the programs GB2 mentioned, most industry specific programs have the feature- and I think I remember seeing a macro posted here in the past to use the function in CorelDraw.

CorelDraw has PrintMerge built right in. Since eons ago. We've done serialized labels on a versacam... concert tickets on a Xerox800, and even raffle tickets on a copier.

grafigo

And on your Versacam you could use VDP function if you are using Roland VersaWorks.

There are lots of You tube videos on this topic.

shoresigns

It's easy to do in Illustrator if your quantities aren't enormous. Say you have a list of 100 serial numbers in Excel and you want to print them on 5"x5" decals in 10 rows of 10 with 0.25" spacing between them.

1. First, make 100 copies of the artwork. Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform. Horizontal 5.25", 9 copies. Apply another instance of the effect with Vertical 5.25", 9 copies. Now you have a 10x10 grid of the artwork.
  2. Then, copy and paste the first 10 numbers, set the leading to 5.25" and position them how you want in the last column of 10 decals. Delete the line break after the 10th number so it's exactly 10 lines of text.
  3. Double-click the circular handle on the right side of the text box to change it to an area type frame.
  4. Delete all the text inside the frame, then copy the empty frame horizontally -5.25", 9 times. Object > Expand Appearance to expand the Transform effect.
  5. Select all 10 text frames, then thread them with Type > Threaded Text > Create.
  6. Paste all 100 numbers into the first frame, and all 10 frames will fill up.
That's it. Should take <5 minutes.