• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design - Do you provide working files?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...Sign shops are not graphic design companies but they do overlap from time to time. Just take each situation into consideration for what it is and be fair about it.

95% of our layouts are designed by us from sketches on a napkin or by phone conversation. Graphic design companies tend to have no idea of the print world but a sign shop knows both print and design.

Just saying. :Big Laugh

Sidney

Well I guess we look at our sign shops differently. I have never heard of a Sign Shop not being a Graphics Design Company. We are not advertising companies but the Graphic Designs business with all it's visual elements, is who must of us are. Thanks again :) :) Sidney

GoodPeopleFlags

While that is true for both of your companies, many sign shops are just plotters and printers with design not being a main service offered, either because they don't consider it important or that lack the experience. I always have considered design a very important factor in a sign shop as I am a graphic designer but I have worked in many shops that aren't concerned with the design aspect. It would drive me crazy to have to make ugly signs because "that's what the customer wants". But all shops are different.

GoodPeopleFlags

I guess I'm trying to say that the level of importance put on design is different depending on the shop. Could be 10% design service and 90% making what the customer wants or the other way around. Or somewhere in between. Some may be graphic design companies that also offer signs (or biz cards, or brochures, etc.). Some may be sign shops that offer graphic design. Lots of variables when it comes to giving/selling customers' designs.

player

95% of our layouts are designed by us from sketches on a napkin or by phone conversation. Graphic design companies tend to have no idea of the print world but a sign shop knows both print and design.

Just saying. :Big Laugh

Actually most signs I see the shops have no idea about print or design.

Just sayin'.:omg:

equippaint

Personally if I went to someone and asked them to design me a brochure and I paid them to design it, Id expect to get the files. It seems really unprofessional to hold something hostage just so you can get a few dollars from the print sub out. How can you rationalize charging someone $500 to design but then go and say well its $1500 for the design that you already paid me to do it you want it in any form other than something I printed. If you wanted $1500 to design it, then you should have just charged $1500 to begin with. Maybe they want Tshirts made, or use it in their web design. Are you going to strong arm them into only using you for anything they ever need? That's not a good way to build any sort of goodwill with a customer and also a big risk for them as well. They invest in this design, where what you charged is your choice and irrelevant, then you go out of business or do crap work or any other possibility.

Im not advocating to send every file that you make over to your customer but if you've been tasked with creating an image specific to them like a logo or general layout theme, then Id say its a reasonable expectation on their part to be able to use it without the ransom. Keep them coming back because you do good honest work not out of duress.