• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DMCA Notice Received from Aurora Graphics

Replicator

I don't own any of Mr. Dave Dorsey, President Aurora Graphics Clipart collections . . . and guess what, I NEVER WILL !

:Welcome:2 :signs101: Mr. Dave Dorsey, President Aurora Graphics.

We here at :signs101: are :notworthy: of being in your presence . . . So I bid you a not-so-fond FAREWELL

Mr. Dave Dorsey, President Aurora Graphics
:iamwithstupid

Techman

So I suppose the fine print after purchase waves a purchasers right to "first sale doctrine"?

No.
So far federal courts have said so.
Only congress can make laws. Software companies cannot make laws. They cannot write a rule that supersedes laws.

Numerous recent lawsuits have shown this to be true and that First Sale rules in all cases. Autocad lost. RIAA lost. The music industry lost. All of them are losing their claims. A few are in appeals but the out come appears that the decisions will be upheld.

The door swung wide open and companies who before did not sell used software are now getting into the market.

You can sell your cd's. EULA's cannot make or change the law.

But then, I am not a legal eagle.

petrosgraphics

we try to protect sketches and designs for customers.. you can spend a few hour designing something hand it over to the customer and never see it again.... all of a sudden
it shows up as a sign in front of their building..... looks exactly like the sketch you gave him to look at...
what do you do, take him to small claims court to get some money out of the guy...
that can be a royal pain!!!!!
something as simple as a sketch still belongs to the design co. i have always put a disclaimer at the bot. of every sketch, but you can not spend you life trying to recoup
some money....

eye4color

My worst two purchases of 2008 was "Digital Firestorm" form Aurora Graphics and "The Bad Wrap" from Fellers. Wish I had that money back! The Bad Wrap was supposed to have free updates at the time but I guess it was the old "bait and switch" again. "Digital Firestorm" just made me feel stupid for ordering it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I was wondering about ole Dave Dorsey, President, Aurora Graphics a couple of weeks ago.

sissy.gif
What were you wondering?

gnemmas

There is another company I like to alert to fellow member. Cyrious Software, which costs upwards of $3500.

The license states they have the right to refuse transfer if you choose to let it go. So far they haven't refuse to transfer, just want anywhere from $500 to whatever to transfer.

Lesson here: BEFORE shell out big chunks of money, have the vendor spell out their policy in writing regarding their first use policy. Once they got your money, your done with.

Pat Whatley

sissy.gif
What were you wondering?

Guy from a close down shop came by with a box full of clipart to see if I'd be interested in buying any of it. He had the Firestorm set and the Half Wrap sets in there and it made me remember this post.

Don't worry Dave, I passed on buying the software.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
We have the same policy. Reason being... people buy a disc, copy the files, and then sell it. Another person buys it, does the same, and sells it.... and on and on and on it goes.

AMEN BROTHA! If I wanna buy a disc of thiers...I have to pay full price from them rather than buying it for few bucks used from an old shop owner...who already has the files on thier pc. Does that suck for me...ABSOLUTELY...is it a smart business decision of thiers though...OF COURSE!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I don't think that is the problem. I think the problem would be not being upfront about that policy before the purchase. Correct me if i'm wrong Fred.

I did a little research of my own before considering any purchases from any company...guess what...
On their website...there is a button called TERMS I clicked on it..and spelled out in plain english were the terms describing the very things that are being called "hidden". I didn't find anything deceptive about this and I didn't have to purchase anything in order to find it. Do I like the idea of those limitations as an end user...NO! Do I blame them for doing so...no.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Personally I think it's BUNK !

If I buy something, then I own it, and I'll do whatever the hell I want with it, and if someone doesn't like that then TOUGH CRAP !

I will never buy an Aurora Graphics Product . . . EVER ! ! !

and now back to your regularly scheduled company bashing . . . !

So...if you produce a business card layout, brochure layout and logo for a customer, and they say.."give me the disc so I can have the shop across the street do all my printing and signage because I own it"...you would do so?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I did a little research of my own before considering any purchases from any company...guess what...
On their website...there is a button called TERMS I clicked on it..and spelled out in plain english were the terms describing the very things that are being called "hidden". I didn't find anything deceptive about this and I didn't have to purchase anything in order to find it. Do I like the idea of those limitations as an end user...NO! Do I blame them for doing so...no.

Your point misses the fact that the bulk of the CD and DVD versions of Aurora's products were published with the license packed inside the case, which was shrunk wrapped, and that no terms were displayed on their website or anywhere else. So you are not aware of the license until after you have opened the case. The fact that Aurora has since become a little more open about their out of step terms does not change the fact that in January of last year, when this thread was started, this was not the case and most licensees had absolutely no idea that they had "agreed" to such terms.

Techman

If the author would use a simple security technique,, he would not have to worry about some user copying his work then passing it along. This simple technique would be almost invisible to the end user.

But, it seems he would rather use onerous user agreements instead. The very same agreements that are getting shot down by the court rulings.

If the author would use a simple security technique,, he would not have to worry about some user copying his work then passing it along. This simple technique would be almost invisible to the end user.

But, it seems he would rather use onerous user agreements instead. The very same agreements that are getting shot down by the court rulings.

What is this teqnique? How is it done? Or can you point me to that direction?

Techman

Simply put a timer on the dvd.
It times out one year from now.

When the unauthorized copy times out,, its done forever.
When the authorized copy times out then the owner calls up and gets a new dvd mailed to him with some FREE goodies extra.

You win, the original purchaser scores some extra goodies and wins.
The unauthorized copy loses.

I did that with one of my dvd's and suddenly one day I get a call about a replacement for a dead dvd. Sorry, but I have no record of you ordering one. From whom did you purchase your copy? Ansewr,,,click...