• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Experiment with Layered Vinyl Undedneath Vehicle Wrap

SignMan17

One day while flipping thru a "Sign Craft" magazine we came across a cool idea for adding extra detail to a vehicle wrap, what this person had done was add some double layered cut vinyl lettering that was applied before the wrap itself so that the end product had a raised, 3D effect. My concern is that if re-positioning needs to take place would the wrap vinyl pull off the cut vinyl underneath thus ruining both materials? Wondering if anyone has experience with this and could give me a few pointers, any feedback will be appreciated!

Sign Man

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Neat idea. not seen it on that type of application, but common on stuff like car interiors ect.

I think it'll be a hit or miss with applying the vinyl. i would think that leaving the under layer on for an hour, or a day or how ever long it would take to adhere to the car properly.
You've got a car? experiment. Only way.

MikePro

I've done it, and its no big deal. ...and its pretty sweet.
if your base vinyl is pulling up while shifting your overlay around, then your issue lies within that initial base-vinyl application.

just make sure to post heat and add some love to the perimeter of the overlap'd vinyl, as your wrap vinyl will ramp-up&over the base vinyl, and leave a channel for air that may want to bubble-up when baked in the sun.

SignMan17

Mike thanks for your reply. I have tested single double and triple base layers (double seems to be the best) but regardless of how many layers the overlay doesn't want to stay stuck to the edges of my base design even after post heating. Over time does this become a major problem?

WB

I've done it aswell. It was just subtle meant to be for people looking closely. It was the website of the Customer we put on the fender of his truck. We didn't tell him we were doing it and when he noticed it he loved.

Trick you can do if your worried about the wrap taking off the lettering is use a Matte vinly. Matte vinyl has a lower surface tension so it's less likely to pop up if you have to reposition your wrap.