• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Finding Outsourced Designers

Seth Ritley

Hi guys,

My team and I are looking for outsource designers to help us out. Do you know of resources that would help us locate some candidates? Or if you know any freelance designers looking for work, by all means feel free to send me their info and I'd be happy to reach out to them.

Specifically we are looking for people to lay out evacuation maps for us. We do a lot of multi-family buildings and therefore a lot of evac maps, and they are labor intensive. Ideally we'd love someone with experience, but we could train someone up on how to do them for us.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Hi guys,

My team and I are looking for outsource designers to help us out. Do you know of resources that would help us locate some candidates? Or if you know any freelance designers looking for work, by all means feel free to send me their info and I'd be happy to reach out to them.

Specifically we are looking for people to lay out evacuation maps for us. We do a lot of multi-family buildings and therefore a lot of evac maps, and they are labor intensive. Ideally we'd love someone with experience, but we could train someone up on how to do them for us.

Thanks!

Look at Upwork.com. You can post a specific project, set a budget and have designers "bid" on it. You can also see the ratings and how much revenue a designer has gotten from the work they've done. I had a recent project that involved an issue with an AfterEffects video file and had several candidates offer to take a look at the file and "diagnose" it before giving me a quote on how much it would cost. I'd use them again. Good experience.

Theres also www.designcontest.com. Interesting concept. I haven't used them but spent a lot of time on the site looking at how it works. I think it's more geared for logo concept and branding (when I researched them), but it may be an option.

You may also want to consider a local/regional college with an architecture program or drafting and design programs. Much of the map design your talking about could probably be done in a CAD program like Sketchup or Autocad. You may find students hungry to earn some extra money or even "intern" as a resume builder. With a CAD building layout file exported to Illustrator, they could easily mark it up with exits, call-outs and such for you to output.

Good Luck to you!

Seth Ritley

Look at Upwork.com. You can post a specific project, set a budget and have designers "bid" on it. You can also see the ratings and how much revenue a designer has gotten from the work they've done. I had a recent project that involved an issue with an AfterEffects video file and had several candidates offer to take a look at the file and "diagnose" it before giving me a quote on how much it would cost. I'd use them again. Good experience.

Theres also www.designcontest.com. Interesting concept. I haven't used them but spent a lot of time on the site looking at how it works. I think it's more geared for logo concept and branding (when I researched them), but it may be an option.

You may also want to consider a local/regional college with an architecture program or drafting and design programs. Much of the map design your talking about could probably be done in a CAD program like Sketchup or Autocad. You may find students hungry to earn some extra money or even "intern" as a resume builder. With a CAD building layout file exported to Illustrator, they could easily mark it up with exits, call-outs and such for you to output.

Good Luck to you!

Awesome! Thanks so much, I'm definitely going to explore your suggestions. I'll try to report back on my experiences here.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
-- OADesign does them, and he's in SoCal
-- Vector Doctor does them
-- We do them too and have been doing them for over 20 years, we also specialize in apartment signage design only and work for other sign shops. We are in SoCal too

-- Don't get them done in any Cad program like Auto-Cad, Sketch... unless you want to mess with them in those programs.
-- Stick to Illustrator (it's what OAD, Vector Dr and we use) or Corel
-- There is no glory in evacuating maps so I don't know why any kid fresh out of college would want these in their portfolio
-- You don't want to teach anyone unless you have a super long lead time and you have time to deal with a newbie

Seth Ritley

-- OADesign does them, and he's in SoCal
-- Vector Doctor does them
-- We do them too and have been doing them for over 20 years, we also specialize in apartment signage design only and work for other sign shops. We are in SoCal too

-- Don't get them done in any Cad program like Auto-Cad, Sketch... unless you want to mess with them in those programs.
-- Stick to Illustrator (it's what OAD, Vector Dr and we use) or Corel
-- There is no glory in evacuating maps so I don't know why any kid fresh out of college would want these in their portfolio
-- You don't want to teach anyone unless you have a super long lead time and you have time to deal with a newbie

Thanks for the tips!

I disagree that there is no glory in evac maps, there is a huge market for them (doing them right, that is) and it's a valuable skill set.

ams

I have a local guy who is highly experienced in this stuff. He is strictly a freelancer and does a great job, very fast and very reasonable. PM me your contact information and I will give it to him.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yes I have done many of these. Here is just a sampling of ones I could find quickly

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.35.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.35.16 AM.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 344
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.35.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.35.32 AM.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 348
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.35.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.35.44 AM.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.36.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.36.02 AM.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.36.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.36.29 AM.png
    66 KB · Views: 284

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Big Rice Field

Eliminate middlemen. Deal with freelancers directly. Here is my sample fire evac. 4 pages

Attachments

• Apt Fire Evacs Drawing R1.pdf
    183.4 KB · Views: 271

Big Rice Field

Not trying to high jack the post. But do you create other designs as well? Wall murals, Vinyl wraps, etc.
I network with designers. I know a young artist that specializes in wall murals. I have designed vehicle wraps in the past but I usually abhor this type of work due to the huge size of the files. I have limited bandwidth.

Solid Retail

I network with designers. I know a young artist that specializes in wall murals. I have designed vehicle wraps in the past but I usually abhor this type of work due to the huge size of the files. I have limited bandwidth.
Awesome! We are going through a expansion phase and are in the process of adding more printers to our business. We are looking for someone extremely talented in designing graphic applications for our clients. Working remotely is fine as long and we can see results rather quickly so we may keep the clients timeline. We will provide final dimensions to you and a rough idea of what the client vision is. The designer will run from their creative imagination.

Johnny Best

I was going to do some work for Seth but had some health problems and could not do them for him.
This was one I did for a building on all their floors
evacuationmap.jpg

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Eliminate middlemen. Deal with freelancers directly. Here is my sample fire evac. 4 pages
Unless you are still working on these... and I guess since you commented on someone’s evac maps, I should point out these are not compliant for California Title 19. You are required to have 2 exit points for each escape point, the map is required to be oriented to how it’s being viewed, some of the type is too small per code, some municipalities, stairwells are missing information (access to roof and/or EXIT in green) per title 19

Last edited: