• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge Fx and Omega 5.0 help

jameskwiksigns

I have recently started work at a local sign shop as the production manager. I am familiar with most of the equipment that this shop uses, as it is similar to other shops I have worked at over the years. The one main piece of equipment that i have found that we have all set up and ready to go is the Gerber Edge FX hooked up and running on a system with Omega 5.0.

It turns out that the old manager knew the machine really well but didn't train anyone on how to use it before he left. so now here it sits... a valuable asset just gathering dust. I have managed to print on it twice but haven't figured out much... how do I change the order of the colors to make black last? how does choke/spread work? and how do I apply a contour for the plotter?

Billct2

You can try looking on line for tutorials.
The "123" icon both in the design window and the plot window allows you to change the order of the colors printing.
Choke Spread works by selecting the two objects you want to apply it to then click choke/spread and set the amount of overlap you want, you can also select which is the top color.
Also learn about bleed, it helps a lot when printing simple outlines/colors on letters/objects
For Contour cutting I assume you mean around a complex abject, not just lettering. I usually create an outline around the whole object, delete any unnecessary cuts then do a with a slight inset off of that outline.

jameskwiksigns

Are any of the Omega manuals around? Ours has entire chapters dedicated to these topics.
After looking around all I have found so far is the Getting started guide for Omega... but it deals more with updateing to 5.0 rather than actual operations. Im still looking around.

Sando

18 Years and Counting...
As someone who has painfully become fluent in Illustrator, Flexi and Omega Composer, I found Composer to be the most counter intuitive and difficult to learn. It is the only of the 3 that I would say requires having the manual handy. It would probably be to your advantage to get a jump start by having someone who knows it give you a 2 hour tutorial. Feel out your suppliers if they have a tech and a buddy deal situation or if there is someone in your community willing to show you the ropes so to say. The interface is set up for a very specific way of designing where you designate materials and process as you are building. You may fall in love with it once you learn it as it is fairly savvy, but you'll keep some hair on your head if you get a little coaching up front.

geb

"found Composer to be the most counter intuitive and difficult to learn."

Couldn't agree with you more.

George

Marlene

"found Composer to be the most counter intuitive and difficult to learn."

I've been using Gerber software forever. when I got Illy, I was totally lost and had a hard time doing anything as nothing made sense. must be my brain is now wired for Gerber:)