• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

gerber edge white on chrome printing

signgirl

is it best to print opaque white on chrome vinyl using the gerber edge? Using flexisign program with duracoat white and its not covering solid. Tried printing it light normal and dark but prints the same. Also it might not have correct settings for type of vinyl and color. I'm using FDC and tried a few that looked close but no changes... thank you!

CanuckSigns

also try using Gerber branded foils, we print on Gerber edge positive film sometimes, and the duracoat foils will not work, you have to use gerber branded foils.

signgirl

Thanks for the quick relies. I have the material to try the above comment so I'm just going to see what it looks like before ordering the chrome and Gerber brand foils. I'll post update!

signgirl

iv decided it's just best to use the RTape chrome and the Gerber white. If I printed the chrome I fear it wouldn't last too long. Thanks for all the suggestions

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
While you're at it, I think the best setting in Omega for the vinyl is 3M Deluxe Silver (which is no longer manufactured and is what the R-Tape Smooth Durable Silver replaces).

is it best to print opaque white on chrome vinyl using the gerber edge? Using flexisign program with duracoat white and its not covering solid. Tried printing it light normal and dark but prints the same. Also it might not have correct settings for type of vinyl and color. I'm using FDC and tried a few that looked close but no changes... thank you!

I do a type of hack when I print black on brushed gold that you may want to try. You're right about doing two passes. You can do this several ways. Easiest is probably duplicating (or triplicating) all the artwork you want white. Make each of the duplicate artworks a different color. Then when you print, just keep the white foil in the edge when it asks for the different colors. And voila - multiple layers of white.

But like I said, it works with black on gold. The white may be different. You can try to keep adding layers until you get the coverage you want.

good luck!

signgirl

While you're at it, I think the best setting in Omega for the vinyl is 3M Deluxe Silver (which is no longer manufactured and is what the R-Tape Smooth Durable Silver replaces).

Darn Fred, you're going to make me have to break out my version 1.5 Omega aren't you! I'm using flexisign right now and on the spec sheet of the chrome vinyl it says use white intermediate high gloss vinyl (low temp) as the icc profile. I'm just going to have to try and see what works best. It's always the more expensive materials that It seems I have to test

signgirl

I do a type of hack when I print black on brushed gold that you may want to try. You're right about doing two passes. You can do this several ways. Easiest is probably duplicating (or triplicating) all the artwork you want white. Make each of the duplicate artworks a different color. Then when you print, just keep the white foil in the edge when it asks for the different colors. And voila - multiple layers of white.

But like I said, it works with black on gold. The white may be different. You can try to keep adding layers until you get the coverage you want.

good luck!

I'll try that too just to see the results! Thank you!