• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Glueing paper to coro

Boomer

I have a customer using spray glue on coro to attach paper to it. They are using full sheets of coro and covering most of it. Cost and time is becoming a factor. Is there a cost effective roll on type glue to do this?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Would it be better to use a self adhesive foamcore board instead?
Comes in same sizes, cuts easier and is perfectly flat rather than corrugated.
If they're already gluing paper to coro, I can't imagine they need anything to be weather proof.

ams

They make rolls of double sided adhesive, so like banner hemming tape, you can get like 30" X 50 yards, just roll it on, peel the backing and apply the paper.
But my question is, why in the heck would you ever do that? Paper is worthless on coroplast.

Boomer

They are using the coro as a backer for 600 and 1000 yard paper targets. It holds up better through a match. The coro is slid into a type of frame with the target glued to it. The whole target needs to be glue so there are no ripples in it. They are looking for a more cost effective and uniform process than spray adhesive.

hcardwell93

Why not print the targets on a cheap matte finish calendared film without laminate? Targets are easy to replicate. They could be quickly applied to the target board.

Other than that they might be looking for a solution that doesnt exist.

2B

if these are shooting targets then it assumed these are standard targets and as such it will be most effective to to a large QTY of signs via screen print / flatbed.

Billct2

I agree, why not just print or better yet screen on the coro, in a large enough quantity it would make sense. Other than that there are adhesive back papers to print on.

MikePro

direct/screen print to panels, coro/foamcore, seems like the best option here AND least expensive.
adhesive-backed anything will come with a price.

otherwise, spray mounting has always been the easiest for me to mount patters, when needed. Roll-on options would be more time consuming.

ikarasu

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...ansfer-Tape-468MP?N=5002385+3293242531&rt=rud

We use something like this for mounting thin aluminum. It should work on paper... but might be quite expensive, depending on what you're using it for. It comes in all sizes... from 1", up to 60".

I want to echo what others have said though. Screen printing would be the cheapest option. If you cant screen print in house, you could still probably outsource it for cheaper than the way you're doing it now.

If your just looking for a cheaper glue... You could try googling wheat paste. It's a DIY glue for posters, costs like 50 cents a gallon, and people use it for putting posters up on a wall. Not sure about longevity, or how long you even need them to stay up for though..

Sounds like a lot of effort / trouble, and I doubt you're getting compensated enough for the work thats put into it. get them to goto a cheap calandered vinyl... Can get a full roll for $100.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
What do the targets look like? Are they finely detailed? Can you post a sample pic of a target?

And is the coro being discarded after a session, or is another layer of paper applied overtop the previous layer?

Last edited:

Boomer

Thank You for all the replies. The range buys targets in bulk and have about a years supply, so printing of any type is not likely. I am not doing the actual work other than supplying the coro. They use an electronic scoring system so they can use the coro more than once and not shoot out the center.(The computer scoring does not have to see the X-ring, it can be told the X-Ring is where they place it) I will pass on the info and do some experimenting myself.

Eddy C

I have actual experience with this application.

It is a bad idea.
Not only the time involved, but the paper will shrink and tear. You don't want to shoot at bare corro because it is translucent. I much prefer the target backers be made of corrugated cardboard. Maybe they could try doubling up the corro, but you still have the problem of the faces shrinking and tearing. Maybe that is only a problem with water-based adhesives, I know CIHP uses spray tac. They also cut out the center of the corro and use corrugated paper in the center. You might contact them for suggestions. They have a website.

Me, I like paper board and thinned wallpaper paste.

Eddy C

Just looked at 600yd targets last night. I forgot you have to put a full face target on them.
Anyway, with coro you can't use water-based adhesive. The face stretches upon application then shrinks and tears when it dries. You must use a solvent-based adhesive.

IslandSignWorks

I have a customer using spray glue on coro to attach paper to it. They are using full sheets of coro and covering most of it. Cost and time is becoming a factor. Is there a cost effective roll on type glue to do this?
Fixon is good stuff. We use it in our shop. Our local art supply store (Artist & Craftsman Supply) has sheets of Twinmount if you don't need a whole roll. Look them up - they ship product around the country.