• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Go To Place For Filament?

JasonMeisnerSTS

Hello All,

I am tying to find out if there is a go to place for purchasing 3D filament? I want to deal with the most reputable company who has the most filament, and also a great price of course. What I notice is it looks like the wild wild west and everybody is selling filament. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Best Regards,

Jay

jfiscus

Rap Master
It depends a LOT on which 3d printer you own and also which type of filaments you are looking at purchasing.
Are you printing PLA/ABS/etc?
There is a FB group called 3D Printer DIY that may prove helpful to you: https://www.facebook.com/groups/386484504786227/

I will have our purchasing agent get back to me after lunch and let you know where we purchase our ABS right now.
Soon we will be selling our own filament, but for now I recommend Microcenter's in-house brand unless you want to pay for the Makerbot brand ($$$).

JasonMeisnerSTS

Pla

PLA filament appears to be more popular than ABS and from my research, i have gathered that there really isn't a difference between makerbot filament and a generic alternative which is more than half the cost. From my knowledge in the Wide Format industry, there are typically a few players that everyone knows and purchases products from. Does that not hold true to the 3D filament market?

jfiscus

Rap Master
PLA filament appears to be more popular than ABS and from my research, i have gathered that there really isn't a difference between makerbot filament and a generic alternative which is more than half the cost. From my knowledge in the Wide Format industry, there are typically a few players that everyone knows and purchases products from. Does that not hold true to the 3D filament market?

Right now most filaments are coming from overseas and the quality control really isn't in place yet, also "the big players" you would expect aren't even in place yet in this field; especially in the filaments arena. Just look at all of the new filament types being released and tested currently, and how many manufacturers and styles of 3D printers are being released DAILY. Many of the manufacturers have little or no quality control in place and filament diameters and filament qualities vary a LOT. We have printed thousands of hours and tried a LOT of different filaments and these are the two types of ABS filaments we currently use here that are always reliable.

Yes, we can also print PLA but choose not to. There is a reason why many people do print it though - because it's cheap.
The number one reason we do not print PLA is because it will melt on a hot day in your car or around a hot machine.

What machine did you purchase?

JasonMeisnerSTS

3D Printer

We Purchased the Makerbot replicator 2; so this inland brand seems priced out pretty cheap at only $14.99. Do you just use this filament or do you resell?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We Purchased the Makerbot replicator 2; so this inland brand seems priced out pretty cheap at only $14.99. Do you just use this filament or do you resell?
We manufacture 3D printers and do printing/prototyping. We should have our own line of filaments available soon, but working on getting all of our printer parts/products online and filling orders is a lot of work.

J Hill Designs

Now I can just go to the supermarket for my filament!

[video]https://youtu.be/uCy0NEbJf4s[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonMeisnerSTS

Looks like you just need some wine to go with the crackers and cheese! Pretty funny video; Still surprised no one has separated themselves from the pack yet for 3D printing supplies...