• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec Fc-8600 Cutting Different Laminated Vs Unlaminated

Phenex

Hi All,

Just got my Big Squeegee and finally got the technique down. Pretty happy about that.

Since that part of the process worked, I went to perf cut out some decals that were laminated. When cut, they were all off about 1/4" in the x-axis. Noticed this on a couple of sheets. The largest sheet was 30"w x 54" l. Waited 24 hours before any lamination.

After this failure, did another test. Printed 2 identical sheets, both 30" x 40" misc. sizes and shapes of decals. Took one off the printer and took it to the cutter. Every decal cut perfectly. Took the other sheet, laminated and was off again by the 1/4" starting with the first cut. (Did not wait to off gas as this was only a test.)

I used Oracal 3621 with Oracal 210 in all cases. The FC-8600 is set up with 3 rollers set to medium pressure.

Anyone have any ideas what I may be doing wrong or to try next?

Snydo

In the ARMS menu make sure you have PAPER-WEIGHT turned ON. Also might be worth trying with rollers set to strong.

StevenGC

I second the strong setting. Haven't used 3621 before but the 3640 with 210 combo is heavy. Had this issue on a huge run of print and cut, graphtec support was no help. Cleaned push rollers often and only cut half a sheet at a time. Was cutting 54"x120" panels. Problem seemed to be the glossy lam and the weight of the panels was causing it to slip and miss... especially with all the back and forth it does when scanning. Hp latex printer with caldera rip. The usual process for ours is to scan all marks, feed to the bottom of the sheet, then all the way back up to the top. Cutting half at a time and letting the machine sort cuts instead of the rip helped with the excessive back and forth in the beginning. Also slowed down the tool up speed.

Phenex

Thanks guys.

I confirmed I had ARMS paper weight on.

I'll print/lam again and set the rollers to strong and let everyone know what happens.

I appreciate the responses.

Dennis422

Outside 2 pinch rollers set on strong and the middle one leave half way down.
Because of thick lamination, the cutter has a hard time cutting and the drag will pull the substrate off the track if you do not have outer pinch rollers set to highest pressure.

Phenex

I tried a half sheet this morning with all on strong and it worked fine. I'll try again with the 2 outside on strong and middle roller on medium.

Thanks everyone.

FireFab

Something else to consider if you are going to be cutting more thicker material is additional pinch rollers. I have a 8600-130 and I cut a lot of 48" 3M Ij5100 (reflective) and Oracal 210. I have added 3 additional pinch rollers for a total of 6. If you add additional rollers you can install them yourself if you have basic mechanical aptitude.

jwlllpl

Something else to consider if you are going to be cutting more thicker material is additional pinch rollers. I have a 8600-130 and I cut a lot of 48" 3M Ij5100 (reflective) and Oracal 210. I have added 3 additional pinch rollers for a total of 6. If you add additional rollers you can install them yourself if you have basic mechanical aptitude.
Using 3m reflective and laminate has been an issue since day one despite trying multiple settings (some even from here). I feel the only option we have not tryed is the additional roller arms. Where did you order your extra pinch roller arms from? Graphtec does not appear to be to quick to respond to emails or phone messages. I have only been able to find the roller replacements, not the whole arm. Your help is appreciated.

Joe House

Where did you order your extra pinch roller arms from?
Your Graphtec dealer (I know Tubelite is in Florida) should be able to order those for you - Graphtec part number is OPH-A22. Depending on how wide your plotter is, you can add one or two extra pinch wheels which will definitely help with slipping. We always load out the max number of pinch wheels when selling a plotter to a municipality sign shop as 80% + of what they do is reflective sheeting.
Also, on thicker material, you'll want to be sure to use one of the CB15 blades that will have less drag through the thicker media/lam combo.

jwlllpl

Your Graphtec dealer (I know Tubelite is in Florida) should be able to order those for you - Graphtec part number is OPH-A22. Depending on how wide your plotter is, you can add one or two extra pinch wheels which will definitely help with slipping. We always load out the max number of pinch wheels when selling a plotter to a municipality sign shop as 80% + of what they do is reflective sheeting.
Also, on thicker material, you'll want to be sure to use one of the CB15 blades that will have less drag through the thicker media/lam combo.

Thanks so much for the response. We contacted Tubelite and they are helping us with the issue.

Hi All,

Just got my Big Squeegee and finally got the technique down. Pretty happy about that.

Since that part of the process worked, I went to perf cut out some decals that were laminated. When cut, they were all off about 1/4" in the x-axis. Noticed this on a couple of sheets. The largest sheet was 30"w x 54" l. Waited 24 hours before any lamination.

After this failure, did another test. Printed 2 identical sheets, both 30" x 40" misc. sizes and shapes of decals. Took one off the printer and took it to the cutter. Every decal cut perfectly. Took the other sheet, laminated and was off again by the 1/4" starting with the first cut. (Did not wait to off gas as this was only a test.)

I used Oracal 3621 with Oracal 210 in all cases. The FC-8600 is set up with 3 rollers set to medium pressure.

Anyone have any ideas what I may be doing wrong or to try next?

Along with the other suggestions, you can try printing with a heavier registration mark stroke. There's a setting where you can increase the stroke width. The issue may be an error with the registration mark sensor and giving it an easier target may help.

rcd

nopalito24

If you still have this issue, just turn on ISM mode(look up what it does in users manual) its meant for these types of issues on glossy medias/specialty, MENU, Arms, Scanning Speed, ISM.