• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec plotter isn't accurate and not joining

mcngrafix

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question,

I use my Graphtec FC8000 for cutting around my Motocross templates but when the machine comes to finish its cut the shapes haven't joined the best from when the blade started and finished the cut but only very little.

How would I improve this? Simple setting?
I have attached an image
20170716_002356.jpg
20170716_002356.jpg

Thanks

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Looks as though it's a blade offset issue....

Any time someone complains of their plotter behaving in this fashion people always seem to respond with 'blade offset issue'. Of all the things that might be causing this plotter's behavior, the blade offset setting is at the bottom of the list. Grasp this simple fact: Once set, the blade offset never changes. That being the case, if a plotter starts this sort of behavior out of the blue, how can the cause be be something that never changes?

Of the myriad of possible causes for the problem illustrated, I would be checking my blade holder to see if it's not excessively worn and that the blade is rotating properly. That the blade is sharp. That the plotter's tool carriage is not contaminated with dust and debris, it doesn't take much in the way of contamination to screw things up royally.

ikarasu

Any time someone complains of their plotter behaving in this fashion people always seem to respond with 'blade offset issue'. Of all the things that might be causing this plotter's behavior, the blade offset setting is at the bottom of the list. Grasp this simple fact: Once set, the blade offset never changes. That being the case, if a plotter starts this sort of behavior out of the blue, how can the cause be be something that never changes?

Of the myriad of possible causes for the problem illustrated, I would be checking my blade holder to see if it's not excessively worn and that the blade is rotating properly. That the blade is sharp. That the plotter's tool carriage is not contaminated with dust and debris, it doesn't take much in the way of contamination to screw things up royally.

Maybe you should read the post, instead of screaming about generic advice.

This is a new plotter. One the owner has zero experience using. He's not cutting sign vinyl, he is cutting thick motocross vinyl. And in previous posts he says he's using a new cb15u-k30 blade. Which is why I linked to.the whole blade setup PDF... As he's likely even using it in a cb09 configuration.

To top it off, it's a brand new blade holder and blade, so highly unlikely it's worn out.

Some of us actually care to read past history and help find a solution, rather than throw out random reasons it could be ;)

Bly

Or the plotter is simply not up to the job.
Is this cutter new to you?
Anyone else successfully cutting the same stuff with the same machine?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Maybe you should read the post, instead of screaming about generic advice.

This is a new plotter. One the owner has zero experience using. He's not cutting sign vinyl, he is cutting thick motocross vinyl. And in previous posts he says he's using a new cb15u-k30 blade. Which is why I linked to.the whole blade setup PDF... As he's likely even using it in a cb09 configuration.

To top it off, it's a brand new blade holder and blade, so highly unlikely it's worn out.

Some of us actually care to read past history and help find a solution, rather than throw out random reasons it could be ;)

"Hi everyone,

Just a quick question,

I use my Graphtec FC8000 for cutting around my Motocross templates but when the machine comes to finish its cut the shapes haven't joined the best from when the blade started and finished the cut but only very little.

How would I improve this? Simple setting?
I have attached an image"

Above is the text from the post in question.

Perhaps you're reading the wrong post or whoever you have reading this stuff to you is editorializing. Do you see anything in this text that would lead any normal person to conclude that these were maiden voyages of plotter and/or operator? Moreover blade offset affects sharp corners, not so much joining a curve to a line that's tangent to it.

And to whom, exactly, are you referring with "Some of us..."? Do you represent some group or another? Either present your credentials or speak for yourself.

Last edited:

woolly

I would have thought that problem to be media bunching or slippage from my experience of that type of material.

ikarasu

Theres a lot it could be. I haven't used that material before, but it looks really thick.

Seeing as how you're not used to cutters... Heres a few more tips.

How are your push wheels set? For media like this, it's best if it's setup Strong on the ends, medium/low on the insides. When we cut diamond grade, that seems to help - But of course if it's really long(Your pics dont look too long, so it should be fine) It'll always drift a bit

Heres the user manual.

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/docs/User_Manuals/CutPlot_UM/FC8600-151-03-EG.pdf

Read Section 2-15 for the push rollers.

Goto 2-25 for setting the condition. Each blade type needs its own setting - Make sure you're blade is setup for CB15.

Turn your speed way down on thick material like that.

2-34 - IT'll help you with setting the offset / cut force.

You should be able to cut that material perfect. It doesn't look as thick as diamond grade, and the FC8000's should be equipped to cut it alright. If you got a CE, then you might have problems.

Let us know if / what anything has worked.

I wouldn't bother keeping on printing and cutting btw. Get your settings right first... Laminate a couple feet, then change settings and cut a 3" x 2" rectangle out. Once it cuts that perfectly, go for bigger... and if that still works, then print / cut. You don't need to waste so much material to get it right.

Lea Marc

If we were doing this job I would use the CB15 blade in the red pen holder then test to get the offset accurate and the force/speed. Assuming the rollers are hard at the end and low in the centre the job 'should' plot correctly. If the vector file doesn't have any extra points in that corner (sometimes it does when you zoom in there are a few) and like you say it really is just not joining up, I would give Graphtec a call. Have you tried calling them? From my experience they're pretty helpful on the phone and know more than I do so suggest things I don't think of. The photo too looks like the media has slipped where the plotter thinks it has joined up with the curve but actually it can be 1/16 or 1/8" off. When this happens to us and the material and been loaded perfectly square I will try cleaning the push rollers with alcohol and brushing the metal grip rollers with a wire brush. Hope that helps.

mcngrafix

Or the plotter is simply not up to the job.
Is this cutter new to you?
Anyone else successfully cutting the same stuff with the same machine?
Yes the plotter is new to me. I still havent fixed this issue yet due to having a couple of other issues with my other machines which are now sorted. Im just going to get the suppliers I bought the plotter off to help me fix the issue

Thanks everyone

mcngrafix

Theres a lot it could be. I haven't used that material before, but it looks really thick.

Seeing as how you're not used to cutters... Heres a few more tips.

How are your push wheels set? For media like this, it's best if it's setup Strong on the ends, medium/low on the insides. When we cut diamond grade, that seems to help - But of course if it's really long(Your pics dont look too long, so it should be fine) It'll always drift a bit

Heres the user manual.

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/docs/User_Manuals/CutPlot_UM/FC8600-151-03-EG.pdf

Read Section 2-15 for the push rollers.

Goto 2-25 for setting the condition. Each blade type needs its own setting - Make sure you're blade is setup for CB15.

Turn your speed way down on thick material like that.

2-34 - IT'll help you with setting the offset / cut force.

You should be able to cut that material perfect. It doesn't look as thick as diamond grade, and the FC8000's should be equipped to cut it alright. If you got a CE, then you might have problems.

Let us know if / what anything has worked.

I wouldn't bother keeping on printing and cutting btw. Get your settings right first... Laminate a couple feet, then change settings and cut a 3" x 2" rectangle out. Once it cuts that perfectly, go for bigger... and if that still works, then print / cut. You don't need to waste so much material to get it right.
Thanks for your reply, I had already set the machine up to the right blade and I will try slowing the speed down as well and I will let you know how I get on :)