• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help GS 750plus Rental

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Since Gerber equipment is often pricey to buy, I'd imagine they do charge premium prices. The trade-off for the price is a very good machine. Honestly, though, the only time I've ever heard of anything like a rental unit is when I've sent one in for service and the repair outlet gives me one to use in the meantime.
Depending on what you need why not have someone who has a plotter do the cutting for you?

My plotter broke down and I'm in the monument business, it broke down 2 weeks before memorial day (my busy time)! I did not rent from Gerber it was from a small local sign company and was curious if anyone had an idea of what one might charge.

CanuckSigns

in that case, you are at the whim of the other sign company. I would never rent out my equipment to a competitor, if I have a good relationship with the other shop I might lend them a piece of equipment for a short period of time no charge or I would refuse.

Billct2

Yea, that's an unusual arrangement. Usually I would think the company would be willing to cut material for a fee rather than rent out a piece of equipment. You can buy a decent used one for a few grand.

I'm not in competition as I am in the monument business and he was not using this plotter and had not for quite some time and the amount of material I needed cut would have been multiple days. So I was just looking for a price that if someone were to rent how much would you charge to use a 1989 plotter for 4 days $100/day?

thanks for your input

In my case if I could have bought a used or brand new one and got here in 2 days I would have, but it 2 weeks to get a new from Gerber I didn't have that much time.

CanuckSigns

Yeah that's too much, Like Bill said, that would be closer to the charge if you were providing the material and they cut your files, with their employees.

There really is no "standard" charge for this as your predicament is extremely rare, you are at the whim of the shop renting you the equipment, but did you not discuss pricing before you agreed to borrow the machine?

My mistake by not discussing pricing ahead of time (we were in a major predicament), we had a great working relation with this company and have done things for them at little to no cost many times. Never had any issues until now!

thanks

CanuckSigns

well in that case, I would return the plotter, pay them for the time used, and remember this next time they need something from you, next time they order something from you and forget to ask for a quote, charge them the same price they charged you.