• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hanging paper towel dispenser - beyond my skillset?

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
I need to hang a paper towel holder on a drywall wall.
mounting instructions.jpg

The distance between the two bottom anchors only needs to be accurate within 0.2% (about 40 thousandths), so that should be no problem as long as I measure perfectly, we don't hit a stud, and the bit doesn't wander more than about 1/32 of an inch.

But the distance to the top needs to be within 4 thousands of an inch, so that might be pretty tricky. Also the 35 degree angle seems to imply absolute precision, which would require a very expensive protractor! I'm just going to draw arcs exactly 225.1 mm from each bottom hole and drill within .004" of their intersection and hope for the best. Wish me luck!

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
Sub it out, not worth the hassle.
Great idea! Hey Gino, how much would you charge to do the install on this? We're in SW Michigan.

And don't charge me $3000 and then just come here, hold it to the wall, and draw through the holes, because that would be, umm...
You know what? Lemme see something real quick before you quote it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Great idea! Hey Gino, how much would you charge to do the install on this? We're in SW Michigan.

And don't charge me $3000 and then just come here, hold it to the wall, and draw through the holes, because that would be, umm...
You know what? Lemme see something real quick before you quote it.

Heck no. I'd get there, then..... look at the wall. do some preliminary measurements, make some calculations on my trusty calculator, pull a plumb line, re-measure, then..... use the ol' calculator again and confirm my first measurements. Make a few grunts and oh yeahs, then...... put a few French Curves on the wall, get my centers and use a scale rule. Then, I'd get the double sided tape, put it on the back of the rack and level it. Then I'd get out my biggest hammer and smash some screws into the wall.

Presto, I'm done. Installation would be $112.00 plus travel time. Maybe about $150.00

I used dry wall screws, cause they're the easiest to hammer in.

You do realize screws are meant to be hammered in and you use a screw driver to get them out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
governor -6.jpg
No, I have one of these in my toolbox, too and it gets the first 4 chambers, then re-evaluated.

bannertime

Seriously...Why don't you leave this job to the professionals and call in a licensed contractor. Make sure they pull the permit too. The city needs to fund their inspectors somehow. Do you know what kind of damage that thing can do if it were to fall?

Why not use Lexel?

MikePro

great idea. hold it on the wall, with a level, trace the holes
.....then take a square-on photo, scale it in illustrator, plot a paper pattern, mount it 2nd surface, and drill all the way through to the front of the wall.