• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help for a newbie with lots of questions!

Flame

So Andy, are you saying you don't like Roland, or you love Roland? I'm Soooooo confused.

andy

Me... I ain't the world's number one Roland fan I have to say. If I had to buy a new cutter today it'd be a Summa or a Vytek (if they still make them).

You gotta admit the whole colour camm thing was poorly thought out and badly executed- all that pulling an pushing to lay down the colours was going to end in tears. I was gutted at the time as I thought it would have been a nice little machine to have- until the interior shot of those evil cartridges appeared on page 2 of the brochure. Roland were hardly giving the machine away either- for proper money you would expect a proper bit of kit- from memory they were about 6 grand sterling.

I got stung by another manufacturer who sold me two complete piles of junk- I was doing most of their R&D at one point LOL. Hence my phobia of the words "digital" and "printing" :) Never again.

Roland pinched or bought the ribbon idea from Citizen/ Alps- if they had ever bothered to try printing with a citizen/ alps printer they would have figured out it wasn't much cop as an idea. To my knowledge their whole ribbon technology has been abandoned.

njsigns

andy said:
Luckily I had an old ALPS printer for a while so when I saw the specs for the new PC printers from Roland I saw what a dud the machine was.

I would, based on my own personal experience, have to disagree. I too have been using Alps printers, for many years now, and have had great results with them. So naturally, for me, when I saw technology I was familiar and comfortable with in the PC-12, I made a purchase (and believe me it was after considerable deliberation). I would have rather have purchased a VersaCamm, it simply wasn't in my budget.

I agree the PC-12 was probably trying to be a poor mans Edge. Honestly I researched for a few years to find a "better solution" than I had. Being a very satisfied owner of another Roland (a 15" Stika at the time) I felt comfortable buying.

Before finding this forum, I didn't even know that the Gerber Edge had existed. Maybe my research had failed me, but I still own a Roland GX-24, a PC-12 and 3 Alps printers 2 MD-5000's and an old MD-1000. Most of what I had been doing until 2-3 years ago was smaller stickers and transfers for t-shirts and mousepads etc.

Do I wish I could trade them all in for a 30" VersaCamm? You betcha! But I have yet to find anyone willing to bite on that offer. :smile:

Until I can logically afford a wide format digital printer, I guess I just gotta keep doing what I've been doing. It's worked for me thus far.

Gene

Cadmn

Gene seems many out there love their md5000's I had looked at one once many on alps list at yahoo