• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to create ruler scales in new Illustrator CC...?

JimmyG

I recently upgraded my Adobe Illustrator CS2 to the new Illustrator CC ...
How do I set up ruler scales like 1/2 inch = 1 foot so that the rulers read to drawing scale? Also need to find where to set ruler/gris increments...?
I like a lot of the new layout much better but can't seem to figure this out..

I have used Corel Draw since version 1, now using Corel Draw X7, and have used scaling for many, many years to set up scaled presentation drawings on to full size finished vectors.
Just can't figure out how to do the same with illy cc.

Anyone have any directions...?

Mysticalvibes

Hi, you'll find the ruler / grid increments on the top menu bar. Select "edit" then "preferences". Can't help you with your other questions though :-(

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Illustrator can not set grids to a scale without a plug-in...

There is a plug in that allows you to design in scale though called CadTools (www.hotdoor.com) They also have a grid/ruler option to scale. Cadtools is a chunk of change but in my opinion far more superior than CorelDraws scale options. Just depends on how much you design in scale - especially if you use more than one scale per drawing. I pretty much live in scale since I design documents for architects and city submittals so the cost is worth it.

JimmyG

Thanks Rick and Mystical...yep I'm also stuck in scale Rick, will take a closer look at Cadtools and yep that's a chunk of change....

Does anyone know of other plug ins for scaling in illy...?

Johnny Best

I always work in .5"=1' or 1"=1' all the time in Illustrator. I just set up the rulers in preferences with gridline every inch and do the math in my head.
Grew up drawing with a scale rule so using a computer with rulers and a transform tool was really easy.
Check out Astute Graphics plug ins to see if they have anything you need. Use a couple of their plug ins and really like them.

shoresigns

Why would you design in any scale other than 1:10? You literally just move the decimal. No need to convert scales in your head while you're designing.

Johnny Best

It's my head and I will do what I like.
Sometimes work in 3/16"=1' or 1/8"=1', like the blueprints I am working off of. I can design and convert scales in my head at the same time.
It is a good right side brain exercise.

Rick

Why would you design in any scale other than 1:10? You literally just move the decimal. No need to convert scales in your head while you're designing.

That may work for basic signs - print in particular - but large architectural signs would not fit in the page and mounting details would be too small, also, when sending into municipalities for permits or getting engineering, they usually require standard architectural scales. Also. I generally have to work off of architects plants and elevations and they would still be in some architectural or engineer scale.

Rick

Another reason to have a plug-in like CadTools is that you are pulling dimensions and providing call-outs. Without it, you would be doing it by hand...

Attachments

• bl-3.jpeg
    bl-3.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 533
  • bl-1.jpeg
    bl-1.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 481
  • bl-2.jpeg
    bl-2.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 558

Johnny Best

That may work for basic signs - print in particular - but large architectural signs would not fit in the page and mounting details would be too small, also, when sending into municipalities for permits or getting engineering, they usually require standard architectural scales. Also. I generally have to work off of architects plants and elevations and they would still be in some architectural or engineer scale.

Thanks Rick, he explains it better than I did. I still handdraw things using a scale rule to get a better feel for something before going to the computer.

Rick

Thanks Rick, he explains it better than I did. I still handdraw things using a scale rule to get a better feel for something before going to the computer.

I was taught before computers so I actually draw by hand first as well, I use large grid paper to keep to a scale, snap a pic and throw it into Illustrator... I also use a light pad and draw over the building or plans to get proportions correct if I'm designing an original or custom sign design.

Johnny Best

Always like your 5'6"-6'' tall people in your sign drawings which to me is a great selling point.
Here are some with .5"=1' they are in vector so colors can be changed

Attachments

• 6'people.pdf
    181.7 KB · Views: 310

shoresigns

So? Rescale the architect's drawing to 1:10, do your designing, then change it back.

Which of these looks easier?
1:10 scale
0.1" = 1"
0.025" = 0.25"
0.0625" = 0.625"

1:12 scale
0.0833" = 1"
0.0208" = 0.25"
0.0521" = 0.625"

Rick

So? Rescale the architect's drawing to 1:10, do your designing, then change it back.

Which of these looks easier?
1:10 scale
0.1" = 1"
0.025" = 0.25"
0.0625" = 0.625"

1:12 scale
0.0833" = 1"
0.0208" = 0.25"
0.0521" = 0.625"

So I get a paper drawing or better yet, an Auto-Cad file, scan it, or then scale that up to full size or to 1:10 scale, design, then scale it to a proportion that will fit my printed paper size and an architectural scale or depending on the country, metric scale that I can submit to the city or architect... hand render every dimension or witness line... OR...

Buy Cadtools, assign scales to layers in illustrator, collect section drawings of typical sign construction to drag and drop from a palette in scale, design without using math or if I need to, minimal use and pull my dimensions off with ease in Standard or Metric...

I'm thinking since all I do is design in scale and have done it for blah blah blah years... I'll suggest the easiest solution...

Illustrator with Cadtools or Corel...

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hey Rick,
do you think there would be any advantage to keep the drawing in Auto Cad and render your drawings from it?
Or is it too clunky to give you the output you get with AI?
I don't do this kind of work so I'm clueless on the issues with each but;
it seems impressive that you can generate all kinds of material purchasing lists, shop drawings, square footage etc. from a single drawing and have everything linked to update when the base drawing is changed.
I know for sure too much complexity can end up wasting more time than it saves.

wayne k
guam usa

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Illustrator can not set grids to a scale without a plug-in...

There is a plug in that allows you to design in scale though called CadTools (www.hotdoor.com) They also have a grid/ruler option to scale. Cadtools is a chunk of change but in my opinion far more superior than CorelDraws scale options. Just depends on how much you design in scale - especially if you use more than one scale per drawing. I pretty much live in scale since I design documents for architects and city submittals so the cost is worth it.

Why pay for a plug in when you can alredy draw in different scales in a Corel drawing ? I simply break apart dimensions after making them, effetively turning of dynamic dimensioning.

Rick

I started with CorelDraw...

I guess if the argument was turned round, a CorelDraw user would say that was a "workaround" I don't have to do that because each layer is assigned a scale... and I keep my dynamic dimensioning...

The cost has more than payed for itself since I stated using it in 1996 at Sharon's shop...

With that time, I have amassed a huge library of scaled electrical and mounting drawings and attachment details in my symbols library that I just drag and drop on my drawings to the assigned scale layer... boom, done.... or with little effort to make it work on a particular drawing.

I rarely design only one sign, usually its hundreds of signs and large design submittals with documents in the hundreds of pages. I would say with my style of designing and drafting, Illustrator is far superior than Corel Draw... plus I get to keep my Mac, fonts and sanity...

Rick

Hey Rick,
do you think there would be any advantage to keep the drawing in Auto Cad and render your drawings from it?
Or is it too clunky to give you the output you get with AI?
I don't do this kind of work so I'm clueless on the issues with each but;
it seems impressive that you can generate all kinds of material purchasing lists, shop drawings, square footage etc. from a single drawing and have everything linked to update when the base drawing is changed.
I know for sure too much complexity can end up wasting more time than it saves.

wayne k
guam usa

I'm working on a project with 1400 locations and we thought about Auto-Cad and helping with the estimate process for shops bidding off our drawings. The issue we had is not everyone builds the sign the same and shops have their own way of estimating. The time saved would not match the frustration of working in Auto-Cad since only 1 of us know the program well enough. If I worked at a shop, it would have been a huge time saver...

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Because there is a thing called architectural scale and engineering scale. Archtectural scale uses fractions. Engineering scale uses decimals. This is basic drafting 101 knowlege. If you look at a AutoCAD archtectural drawing you will see that they use archtectural scale.