• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to double strike

fine point

Hi All.
We are new to Large Format printing.
We have Epson Surecolor S40600 with Onyx Gamaprint Rip.

We are matching this color from Benjamin Moore paint.
While we got the color pretty close, it's not opaque enough. I thought "double strike" make it more opaque without changing the color. But we don't know how. We can't seem to find how to do double strike print.

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but you know what they say about stupid questions.....

Any tips to make it more opaque print are also appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

Can't you increase your pass counts and ink density? Most of the time a double strike is a flatbed printing method but with roll printers you can typically increase the number of passes and the density of the ink put down to increase color depth

fine point

Can't you increase your pass counts and ink density? Most of the time a double strike is a flatbed printing method but with roll printers you can typically increase the number of passes and the density of the ink put down to increase color depth
I thought so too. We did 12 pass and 6 pass and the difference was marginal. Actually we couldn't tell the difference......

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
But are you increasing the ink density, you need somewhere around 170% or higher for good full opacity without white ink.
Printer will probably just restrict the ink and use a smaller picolitre drop on higher passes.

Johnny Best

That information about double pass should be in your RIP somewhere. But a double pass will change the way the color appears.

fine point

Precisely. You cannot make the colour more dense and retain the same colour.
Thanks all.
We figured it out and it was on the printer setting. Not the RIP.
As mentioned, it made the printer darker. Not more opaque. :confused:

Color matching is always a headache...

Thanks all!

Capitol Copy

For future reference, I thought I would throw this out there. We are new to the wide format color business, and we attended SGIA's color management boot camp. It was a great class and we learned a tremendous amount about spot colors and color matching. They bring in several experts in the field, and you get hands on training. I'm not associated with SGIA, so it's not a plug. It's definitely worth the investment it you're new to the business.

Walter Boyd

I'm not sure. Overprinting is located under the printer control tab - custom settings. You can set the number of times you want it to overprint.