• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to post pictures at Signs 101

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
This is how to have a photo or image appear in a post. Upload it to Signs 101 using the Attachment feature as shown in the images here (circled in blue) or use the Insert Image feature (circled in red).

Image Icon 02.jpg

Insert Image Dialog.jpg

Using the Insert Image path is more versatile and allows you to insert an image from your local computer or capture it from any website. Please insure that the box labeled "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" is checked so that the image is saved and stored on the Signs 101 server. Images uploaded or captured should not be excessively large or you may experience upload failure or over-expansion of the forum templates if capturing an image for local reference. Recommended sizes are no larger than 800 pixels for either dimension.

The reasons for this are:
  • Having images on site reduces the risk of photos disappearing at a later time.
  • Having images on site eliminates the expansion of forum templates when an oversized picture is posted.
  • Having images on site is authorized and is, therefore, not stealing anyone's bandwidth.
  • Having images on site will eliminate any possibility of anyone switching a photo from the original to something objectionable.

So that's the rules from this point forward on posting pics. If the image is not on site then the post will be deleted.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Do I need to size my picture before uploading it? I cannot seem to get my pic to upload.
Paul

I think with the last upgrade the resizing is done automatically however you can certainly reduce it to no more than 800 pixels in either direction to be sure. The main thing that will cause you a problem is having your pic in CMYK color mode rather than RGB. The JPG format in RGB color mode is recommended over other image formats for best results.

mrchips

Read ya loud and clear........I'll try ta figure this out.

Otherwise I'll just stay outa the way.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and havin Fun!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Read ya loud and clear........I'll try ta figure this out.

Otherwise I'll just stay outa the way.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and havin Fun!

It's really pretty straightforward Joe but, as with many things one has not yet done once, seems more daunting than it is. I notice, for example, that some of your posts include links to another site where the image is posted. That has a couple of disadvantages you may want to consider.

1. The image, or a linked thumbnail of it, is not displayed right in the thread so any reader is forced to trust that your URL link to your image actually takes them somewhere they can trust.

2. If at sometime down the road, your image is no longer posted at the other site, or the link changes ... the value of your thread is reduced or made moot because the image is no longer available.

Our solution is to provide ready and easy uploading of images directly to your thread from your hard drive. We then archive them here so they will continue to show up indefinitely in your thread, thus retaining the value they add to your words.

Click the paperclip icon to start the upload operation.

attachment.jpg

A new window will popup shown below. Browse to the images on you hard drive, select them, and upload them.

manage-attachments.jpg

The rest is automatic and the images are thumbnailed, displayed and linked to the larger image right in your thread.

signmeup

Can someone please tell me why I can't see images posted as CMYK jpegs? I understand that some members can see them and others cannot. I can only see RGB images. Did I not check the right boxes or is my computer set up wrong or?......

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Can someone please tell me why I can't see images posted as CMYK jpegs? I understand that some members can see them and others cannot. I can only see RGB images. Did I not check the right boxes or is my computer set up wrong or?......

CMYK does not work properly for display over the internet. All images should be in RGB, grayscale or black & white.

signmeup

Thanks Fred, I realize that but some here claim they can see the CMYK posted images. I just wondered why or if I was doing something wrong.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is a CMYK. Can you see this ??
cmyk.jpg
This one is RGB.
rgb.jpg

The only difference I see is the RGB is closer to the colors of the original, where the CMYK is more filtered.

Joe Diaz

This is a CMYK. Can you see this ??
This one is RGB.The only difference I see is the RGB is closer to the colors of the original, where the CMYK is more filtered.

I'm wondering if it is OS and/or browser related.

I'm using Vista with Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.

In Chrome and Internet Explorer I can see both cmyk and rgb as thumbnails and can click on the thumbnails and see the full image.

In Firefox, I can see the full images but instead of the thumbnails it says:
"Click image for larger version Name: cmyk.jpg Views: 0 Size: 854.4 KB ID: 49315"
and
"Click image for larger version Name: rgb.jpg Views: 0 Size: 220.9 KB ID: 49316"

signmeup

I can see the thumbs on Seamonkey (Netscape) but the first image loads a message that says the image can't be displayed because it contains errors.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Time for a new computer. Yours is broken. Maybe it's just you need a new monitor since it's only certain things you can't see. :ROFLMAO:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I think, but don't know for a fact, that one of the recent upgrades expanded the image processing capabilities and that may include converting a CMYK to RGB as part of the process. I feel certain that it is not perfect and that the best recommendation is to set color mode on all images to RGB. It's also possible that some browsers may be better than others at dealing with displaying CMYK images.