• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions How Would You Approach This?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Sorry for the double post, but I inadvertently put this in the Premium section.
This is a purely hypothetical situation (Edit: No money rides on this. I know what I think is the best way to produce this is already, but I'm interested in how you would handle this because you might have a better idea. The goal is to make it so that it can be done over and over- and with as little specialty assembly/fabrication in the shop as possible).
Say Bob wants to remodel his chain of restaurants. All of them are in architecturally and physically identical buildings, so this would be a job that would be repeated over and over. Bob doesn't want his contractors to have to find sign painters all over the country, so he asked us to come up with a way to get his logo painted on the building- without us having to actually go around the country and paint on site.
The new/remodeled buildings would have 8-1/4" x 12' siding installed, with the joints staggered at 3' intervals. The siding overlaps 1-1/4", and the logo- which is 19' wide by 16'3" high- will wrap around one corner of the building.
By my figuring, this will require 68 or 69 full 12' boards, each with a different part of Bob's logo painted on them that will be reassembled by the contractors to make the logo on site.
The attached PDF (hopefully) shows what I'm talking about
ADDENDUM (Because I left it out initially): The planks are already the color they need to be on the building (other than the logo) when we get them. We'd only be doing one coat of the logo's color.

So... how would you approach this?

Thanks for taking the time.

Attachments

• hypothetical.pdf
    79.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

visual800

I could see that as doable.

Only downfall is damage to your art in shipment and the guys lining it up on site and are you going to paint the panels the color they are supposed to be? Seems like you would have to build a temp structure to support this siding while you paint it, that would be fairly large but it could be done outside your shop.

If it were me I would travel to the ones closest and the others I would search for signpainters but you would provide all patterns to them. And you would arrange the painting of the logo through them, work smart not hard

I would much rather paint a sign on a building that is "together" than do it, disassemble and put back together.

GaSouthpaw

I could see that as doable.

Only downfall is damage to your art in shipment and the guys lining it up on site and are you going to paint the panels the color they are supposed to be? Seems like you would have to build a temp structure to support this siding while you paint it, that would be fairly large but it could be done outside your shop.

If it were me I would travel to the ones closest and the others I would search for signpainters but you would provide all patterns to them. And you would arrange the painting of the logo through them, work smart not hard

I would much rather paint a sign on a building that is "together" than do it, disassemble and put back together.

Ah... I left out something. The siding will be received already coated/painted in the color that it will be when put on the building, so we're only painting once. The builders are putting a clear stain/weatherproofing on once the siding is on the building.
As far as the planks being damaged in shipping, we ship something similar with a digital print on it all the time, so that actually is one of the few things that could go wrong that actually isn't wouldn't be a big concern.
I'm with you- I'd much rather paint it while it's on the building.
Thanks for the reply!

Johnny Best

Sounds like a great idea, So you are going to put the boards together and paint logo, mark them and disassemble and pack them up. Am I understanding it correctly?

Johnny Best

After thinking about this further, are you going to try one out, by that I mean paint like you said, disassemble and then put one back together as the contractor has to do it, see if the joints all line up and no gaps from snugness of joints different from original joints when painted. I am assuming tongue and groove wood siding.

GaSouthpaw

Sounds like a great idea, So you are going to put the boards together and paint logo, mark them and disassemble and pack them up. Am I understanding it correctly?
Man- I left all kinds of important info out! Yes- the idea is to paint them here, number them, ship them out. We're not overly concerned with them being perfectly aligned, or with small gaps. The logo is supposed to look "weathered".
That said- my solution accomplishes it without actually having to build the wall (we don't have that kind of room, nor would it be cost effective, time wise) by masking, painting six planks at a time, then move on to the next set to be painted. By the time say three sets of 6 are painted, the first set can be packaged up.
Like I said, it's an exercise in what people think their best method would be. I'm certain my way it works, but I'm curious if I might have left out a more efficient way.

visual800

ok, now it sounds better. if the logo is ragged and weathered you should be fine to do in shop. I was assuming a tight detailed logo