• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I am lame today....I cant place these...

geb

Thanks Fred and LP. Fred, if the viewer slows down your machine, it will stop on mine, I have alot of fonts at work. Haven't quite figured out at home how I would manage fonts in Signlab being they are vef fonts. I use a free viewer at work, kinda nice. I'll have to keep working on this 'til I get it right.

Barry, I hope to see you around here. There's alot of people that are happy to help on this site. I've asked many questions, have gotten great answers from the experience here. I think were all learning together, some know more than others, myself not much, but more than when I joined in April '03. I think any questions you have will be answered honestly and intelligently and you'll learn from them. Hope to see you on the boards.

George

Barry

geb said:
Barry, I hope to see you around here. There's alot of people that are happy to help on this site. I've asked many questions, have gotten great answers from the experience here. I think were all learning together, some know more than others, myself not much, but more than when I joined in April '03. I think any questions you have will be answered honestly and intelligently and you'll learn from them. Hope to see you on the boards.

George
Dont worry, Im not going to let one person run me off, its just not what I would expect from people trying to help each other.

OldPaint

well, ill help most anyone, that wants it....but i guess i been at this for so long these "simple" things seem like something most who are in this trade is a SHOULD KNOW!!!
freds right, its font navigator on the cd and you need to tell it to install it. also you can go to www.mytools.com and they sell a bunch of font programs for LITTLE MONEY! and thiese are good. only $35!!!!!!!!!!!!
i got an older version of there font program when i bought ARTS & LETTERS EXPRESS 6.0, it was bundled with it. they have a new version 7.0 available.

geb

Thanks for the link, OP. The music is a nice touch, a little different than the heavy metal I like.

idsign

Dear Mr. Old Paint,

I have not posted at Signweb in a long time and the reason why is that it got old when people left ill tempered posts (like yours) believing they owned the site. Eli started this site and Fred saved it and you or I don't own it. If someone ticks you or I off HERE AT SIGNS101, we have responsibility to do one thing. Ignore them. Posting pithy responses will take this site down and that is not fair to anyone.

my two cents - right Fred?

Barry

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have mixed feelings Barry ..... but that's because I've met OP and have read a lot of his posts at Letterville. A lot of his posts do stir the pot, but he is attempting to state a valid point of view.

That statement can be read as just that or it can be read as if it was a personal attack. My belief is that a personal attack was not his intention.

So I'll say this .....

OP, some folks don't know how to take you. How about toning it down a little bit, but please do keep posting.

Those of you who don't know OP ..... give him the benefit of the doubt or just ignore him.

Let's all avoid flaming. When it reaches the point that I have to do something about, it never seems to go well.

To those among you who rarely or never post ..... I think you should rethink that position. Posting is the fuel that makes a community forum work. If half our registered members made just one post a week, this site would be ten times busier and 100 times more interesting and informative.

OldPaint

ill termpered post???? i think not. if you read it that way then its you who has the problem. ive been in this business since 86 full time and benn painting since i was 12-13. now i would say that gives me a good knowledge base of what is needed to work in this trade.
what you see as ill tempered was nothing more then what i would say to someone person to person. as far as helping people learn new things, i dont have a problem, i will give you any info that will be of help to you as most who have read most of my posts will agree with that. the whole point i was making and still didnt seem to register was: we in this business, do FONT REGOGNITION everyday!!!!!!! this is one of the basic skills needed to be learned so you can be sucessful in this business, do you not agree? LEARING to use available softwear........to make this basic task easier is one of those skills. and in my years in this business, i have had to learn some new things so i could be more proficient at what i do. proir to 92 i only painted and wanted nothin to do with computers. well that didnt work.......now i am the guy you call when your computer dont work!!!!!! i fix em and build em. and i learned all this so i wouldnt have to go get "a job"!!!
now back to my ill tempered post, which it was not......only a little blunt and to the point......LEARN TO USE THE TOOLS OF THIS TRADE. you wouldnt go build a shed outa wood........with a shoe tackin hammer would ya?
get the proper tool for the job........that was my point!!!!!

idsign

OP,

I stand corrected. I apologize for thinking 5 question marks in a row or 5 exclamation points in a row means the same thing as one. For some reason one ? looks different than ????? or !!!!! so I thought it meant something you didn't mean it to.

Shovelhead,

When you don't do graphics stuff full time, yeah not remembering a font name can be disconcerting. At 46 I have bad days and senior moments. If anyone prefers to e-mail me directly for help with font recognition, please do so...if you feel it will keep the board less clusterfunky (term coined by Sammy Hagar I heard).

I have always agreed that having a cheap old copy of Corel and companion manual around with it's tons of quality fonts is an excellent. I have tried font recognition programs and found it easier and faster to just surf font sites and the font disks I have - when I am stumped.

anyone wanting font help without posting, e-mail barry@idsign.us and attach a jpeg or pdf if possible. And I will direct you to a source for downloadable fonts or arrange for sale of a legal font disk to you if you prefer.

humbly posted
Barry

THATgirl

I think people can be taken very wrong online. But I also think (and know from Letterville) that those who have been in the business a long time can and do at times come across as mean towards those who ask for help. We all need help at one time or another. Remember Kenny in Letterville OP? He got blown outta there so fast with the uppity attitudes of a couple people. And I don't believe for a minute that he 'really wasn't real'. There are plenty of Kennys who would love to post their work but don't dare. Let's not make signs101 snobville.

Jen Goodwin

Posted this in the wrong thread, sorry:

OP,
I find your candor amusing. I like people who tell it like they think it, no questioning where you stand. I'm pretty sure Shovelhead (my partner in crime) and all of the rest of us can take it. :peace!:

OldPaint

barry iam 59 years old this month.....you want senior moments!(notice 1 exclamation). also i did the 60's RIGHT!!!(3 exclamtion points)so memory and the ability to use it is also a LEARNED experiance. what day is this?(1 question mark).
i still think a good font viewer program, coupled with a little time at working the program(sorta like AA, it works if you work it)then most will be able to find fonts with out a problem.
i got 1 cd called KEY FONTS, its old and has 1500 fonts on it. with bitstream font navigator or the MY FONTS i can type in the line of text i need, set the size of the font, and view all 1500 fonts ..........to see if any are what iam lookin for.
this is only one cd i have, corel 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 CD'S i also got the SIGN DNA CD, good fonts. i also got some font cd's ive bought at computer shows...some ok some not..popeye says "youz spenz your money youz takes your chances" hehehehehhe.
yes i remember kenny......and a few others....hehehehehehe
jen thanks.....it must be my "mainiac" comin out....i used to live in THE COUNTY......caribou, for 8 CACACACACACOOOOLD YEARS!!!!!!!

geb

OP, thanx for the link, I found something on there that I think will work for me. The music is annoying, but they have some good font managers, thanks again.

George

geb

OK, stupid question. In installing, uninstalling fonts, the problem I have is I am uninstalling certain fonts that I need to view certain websites, this one included. I did it again tonight, and the font I had on this site was almost unreadable. I downloaded myfont and was working with that from the link provided by OP, trying to lesson the window font message I was getting concerning to many fonts on my system. On myfont, they have icons next to them, some with computer pics, I figured don't uninstall these, they are needed for certain programs. So I left them alone. Finally my question: Are there certain font names I shouldn't uninstall so the fonts don't change when viewing the internet? This is one of the problems I keep having in font management. Thanks.

George

OldPaint

there are whats called "system fonts". these if deleted will cause you not to see anything on your computer programs.
hard to recognize these and most of time like you say they are marked as do not remove or sys. now dont go crazy deleting fonts. with todays hard drives, of 40, 60, 120 GIG, you can load up a pretty good bunch of fonts without worrying like we used to on 386/40 computers with 200 meg hard drives. i have close to 700 fonts on my 98se hard drive and have no problems. little slow opening corel/photoshop/photopaint as it has to do a font search as it opens. i kinda clean out anything that looks like duplicates....these being ARIEL, HUMANIST, BODINI, GOUDY, ETC....you know the fonts that have 3 different names but all of look the same as ARIEL. some people take the time to organize you fonts into SERIFED, SANS SERIFED, SCRIPT, CURSIVE, BLOCK, ITALIC.....this makes a font hunt a lot easier. as for deleting fonts good idea is to look and see the last time you ever used a certain font.....if you aint usin it and it aint a system font trade it for something you will use. windows XP has a bunch of useless fonts in it....wz or something like that....adobe type manager loads some useless ones also. this is also another thing most people dont understand is TRUE TYPE vs ADOBE
TYPE 1 fonts. to use ADOBE fonts on 98..you need ADOBE TYPE MANGAGER . in XP it sees both types with out an add on program. TT FONTS are windows based fonts and where designed to work like the adobe fonts. now in this business FONTS DO MAKE A DIFFERANCE!!!(3exclamation points). TT fonts are vector built. meaning they have an outline and it is moveable with nodes.....LOTS OF NODES!!! now adobe
TYPE 1 fonts where designed same way but much better and the nodes are only where the line transistions direction.
you can see this by pulling up a TT font and an TYPE 1 font side by side and then go to node edit mode on each. now this dont seem like a big differance but YOUR PLOTTER READS FROM NODE TO NODE as it plots........you got 50 nodes....plotter has to read 50 different point and it will "creep" along the node line as it reads it. now same font in TYPE 1 will have 10 nodes.....ZIP,ZIP, ZIP ZIP....from node to node...and youll think your plotter got wings.
again dont worry about havin 3-400 fonts on your computer....if you got a 500MGZ of better it wont slow you down. gettin a 1000 fonts now thats a little much and i dont think 98 will handle that many without some problem. hope this helps.

JHsigns

Okay everyone This is my first post here. Only been doing Vinyl work since April first and have been messing with computers since commador 64 came out (or something like that) any.. just found this site tonight and never realized that there was soooo much info on Fonts alone. btw is there any secret to learning to recognize fonts. I read on this thread there are san-serif postscript and others like that. justkinda wondering what the differences are ?
Thanks in advance

Jen Goodwin

http://www.letterheadfonts.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=59
Hey George, Here is a link you may find interesting regarding a list of fonts you should not remove from your computer.
I have a little over 1500 fonts installed, way more than recommended and I don't use a font manager. The only trouble I run into now is installing fonts, the whole thing glitches...you think it's telling me something? Anyway I printed this list yesterday because I thought it was time for a spring cleaning. Problem is that you remove a font that you have never used but keep just in case and sure enough, you need it the next day; or you don't think you use it until a repeat customer comes in and you go to open their file...bummer.
Also wanted to mention that The Font Thing offered at Letterhead Fonts for free download is a great font viewer! It has become one of my most used tools. My husband loves it because he's just learning to recognize fonts and it helps him with his layouts quite a bit. We scroll through them when customers want to pick their own font too - you can run by Old English really fast :biggrin:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
JHsigns said:
Okay everyone This is my first post here. Only been doing Vinyl work since April first and have been messing with computers since commador 64 came out (or something like that) any.. just found this site tonight and never realized that there was soooo much info on Fonts alone. btw is there any secret to learning to recognize fonts. I read on this thread there are san-serif postscript and others like that. justkinda wondering what the differences are ?
Thanks in advance
There's a section at Adobe's site dealing with typeface classification you'll find helpful.

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/classifications.html;jsessionid=I2SWS1SRBU2KJQFI0IKR2SGAVDJBIIV1

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
geb said:
OK, stupid question. In installing, uninstalling fonts, the problem I have is I am uninstalling certain fonts that I need to view certain websites, this one included. I did it again tonight, and the font I had on this site was almost unreadable. I downloaded myfont and was working with that from the link provided by OP, trying to lesson the window font message I was getting concerning to many fonts on my system. On myfont, they have icons next to them, some with computer pics, I figured don't uninstall these, they are needed for certain programs. So I left them alone. Finally my question: Are there certain font names I shouldn't uninstall so the fonts don't change when viewing the internet? This is one of the problems I keep having in font management. Thanks.

George
This is a list for Windows systems. I would add to that not to delete MS Sans and MS Serif since a lot of applications use these fonts for menus and such.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.aspx