• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

illegal use of font

WildWestDesigns

define personal and as far a readme file no I do not read those they are deleted. Is there not 1 sign guy on this site that has nottaken a free font?

or how about a company sending over a logo in a jpeg and you have to match and recreate. You look for the font and MYFONT wants $40 and dafont is free download, i guess alot of you would pay for the font wouldnt you?

I hate to see how you handle the fonts that Steve sells since you delete the readme file. In this instance I am recalling what you said about you bought it, so you will sell it, regardless what the license says.

90% of the files that I get are jpgs. I recreate those all the time without a need to buy the font or even download a "free" font. Much easier to recreate things in my software then in Ai or Corel. So long as the jpg is of good quality, but quality even affects proper ID of the font even if you inted on retrieving the TTF or OTF versions.

If you have to buy the font, you just add that to their cost. Treat it like any other expense.

visual800

90% of the files that I get are jpgs. I recreate those all the time without a need to buy the font or even download a "free" font. Much easier to recreate things in my software then in Ai or Corel..

how do you recreate files all the time without downloading fonts that are not on your computer?

visual800

I hate to see how you handle the fonts that Steve sells since you delete the readme file. In this instance I am recalling what you said about you bought it, so you will sell it, regardless what the license says..

did anyone say a damn thing about selling fonts that I buy? No , stay on topic!

WildWestDesigns

how do you recreate files all the time without downloading fonts that are not on your computer?

I do what the vector doctor does except for embroidery. My tools are designed to recreate things using vectors and raster images as a backdrop.

Edit: I should also mention that rather I get a vector with text converted to curves(outlines) or a raster image, I still have to recreate the logo to a stitch file. So even if I'm lucky enough to get a vector file, I'm still recreating it. That's why the tools for recreating logos are in my opinion better in the commercial embroidery software then what you would find in Ai and/or Corel and they are also vector objects, but just store embroidery information and can easily be converted to what everyone here would think of as vector objects. Although, I do have regular vector creating tools as well.

As to my staying on topic. I am on topic. This topic is about fonts and their license, I just brought back another element that you have said on previous threads when it comes to licenses and how you don't care. If you bought it, its yours to do with as you please regardless of the license (or the file that you apparently delete after purchase or download)

Last edited:

slipperyfrog

Another bitching liberal artist that doesn't like a campaign he/she disagrees with. I bet if the campaign was for the other side they would not say a word. Typical.

visual800

WildWestDesigns;1135325 As to my staying on topic. I am on topic. This topic is about fonts and their license said:
That comment, when made by me was referring to software sir. If I buy adobe illustrator and decide not to use anymore I cannot sell it (according to them) with that I disagree.

WildWestDesigns

That comment, when made by me was referring to software sir. If I buy adobe illustrator and decide not to use anymore I cannot sell it (according to them) with that I disagree.

I am aware of that. I was coming to a conclusion of how you treat everything with a license considering the attitude that you take to them. Not only with regard to the software, but based on your comments in this thread about font licenses, it appears that it extends to fonts as well

If you don't have any regard to a license for a software that costs a few hundred in the case of Ai and/or DRAW (or any software), I really doubt your going to pay attention to it for a single font package. I could be wrong, but that's the vibe I'm getting.

On some of the stuff we butt heads on, I might agree with you, I still personally wouldn't do it, but on some things, I could see your point, don't think I don't. I just prefer to be above board.

John Butto

This! I buy a car, it is mine to sell when I am finished using it. Houses, computers, almost everything except this software stuff. The countless people who developed the alphabet and then font people move some lines around and they think they own it. They, software companies and the like, had a bunch of lawyers and grease some politicians and judge's palm and it is law. And to you people who think you know the law, means you just know a little about how people take advantage by using laws to hide behind. It has been like this since God laid down the law on not eating the apples.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

They, software companies and the like, had a bunch of lawyers and grease some politicians and judge's palm and it is law.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that something along these lines happened. What the "grease" actually was could very well vary depending on what was the motivator.

But speaking for myself, I'm very much risk adverse. I don't like putting myself out there in the open to take a chance. One time, you'll have a disagreement with the wrong person and they'll find some little law to get you on and that'll be it. I personally know of 2 businesses that have gone down (not sign related though), because of how laws are. Rather I agree with them or not, there they are.

Some are absolutely silly and don't need to be there, but there they are.

And to you people who think you know the law, means you just know a little about how people take advantage by using laws to hide behind.

They really only take advantage of you when you yourself don't know the laws. Don't have to like them, don't have to agree with them. But knowing laws helps keep you from being a victim.

One thing that I really don't like though are those that vilify the EULAs when it comes to software companies, but yet complain to no end when their customers don't respect their EULAs in their contracts. Can't really have it both ways.

visual800

I do what the vector doctor does except for embroidery. My tools are designed to recreate things using vectors and raster images as a backdrop.

Sir Ive seen your website and I highly doubt you do anything close to what the vector doctor does.......and also, I wonder what the hell your doing on this website

WildWestDesigns

Sir Ive seen your website and I highly doubt you do anything close to what the vector doctor does.......

Embroidery digitizing is the process of converting raster or vector designs into an embroidery pattern by manually tracing the logo or design. Not that far off converting raster images manually into vector images. Which I do believe is the Vector Doctor does. Eric please correct me if I am wrong in that assessment.

I keep my facebook updated far more then my website.

and also, I wonder what the hell your doing on this website

Do some sign shops not offer embroidery as part of their services? Rather they provide the physical end production or they outsource the entire thing? I have quite a few clients off this website that I don't think would have heard about me otherwise.

I also do believe that this website is to help people with questions that they may have with processes etc. I get a lot of questions off list from people on here asking me about embroidery for their expansion purposes as well. What to look for, what not to look for. I even help them with learning about digitizing as well.

I've even had some just ask me if this logo would translate for the embroidery process even if they have no intention of being connected to that process (either via outsourcing or doing it themselves), but are aware that embroidery is a very common output that the logo that they design might be used for.

I would like to think that I have been a contributing member here in more ways then one. But I could be fooling myself.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow.......... now we're attacking each other over nonsense.

There are laws, some good, some not so good. Should you choose to ignore the laws throughout your life and get away with it, good for you. However, get caught one time and see everything you've worked your tail off for go down the tubes because of fine print or bold print, too bad, huh ??

There are only two sides. Right - Wrong. No matter how any of you want to interpret that, it's either written law of not. So, which side do you choose to be on ?? The one where most people will value your character and integrity by your means of doing things badly, and getting away with it or the one who strains to do it 100% by the book ??

Your Choice, no one elses.

John Butto

I agree with Gino to a point. If it were not for the people who started our revolutionary war and did not want to follow the black and white laws of the land set down by England, we would be having fish and chips for lunch today and we would all have bad teeth.
As my hero Rodney King, god rest his soul, said, "why can't we just all get along". Listening to Visual800 and Wildwest is like watching Operation Repo when they go to get a lawyer's car.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
My whole point was that not every website has the usage rights spelled out. You can find many of the same fonts as dafont on other websites and they don't have that info.

Most people see the word "free" and assume that it is free to use for anything. I doubt that too many people research the usage rights of said font after downloading

According to the dafont.com website the bleeding cowboys font has been downloaded over 4.5 million times. What percentage of the users paid for it's use in a commercial setting? Probably not that many. But when it is used on an album cover for instance, it gets noticed. Or a national ad campaign

I wonder if all of these were paid for?
http://www.farcethemusic.com/2011/02/scourge-of-bleeding-cowboys.html

MikePro

According to the dafont.com website the bleeding cowboys font has been downloaded over 4.5 million times. What percentage of the users paid for it's use in a commercial setting? Probably not that many. But when it is used on an album cover for instance, it gets noticed. Or a national ad campaign
or a Fellers' catalog :)
bleeding cowboys sure does get around

SignManiac

I've never heard of the bleeding cowboys font until now. Just looked at it for the first time. Can't really see myself using it on a sign.

heyskull

Getting back to the real issue of the thread.
I would like to know whether the owner of this font has paid whoever created Helvetica (even though the "R" is ever so slightly different) for the rights to use Helvetica?
Also I note this is a French designer, and us English and French do not get on at the best of times!
I reckon the designer would have sued even if they had used Helvetica with a grunge pattern as it looks like theirs...:banghead::omg:

SC