• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is Digital Art considered real art?

Sidney

I guess it comes down to creative minds and creative tools:) I just spent appx 60 hours on this design for a long time customer...hope you all enjoy.

Thank you for your input and passion:)
Macaw_landscape_realistic_web.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What da........?? You posted that same thing twice before. What are you trying to really do with this thread ??

You managed to copy a bird from someone and make it into a vector piece of art...... so what ?? Get over it, already.

:banghead:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Is there some time limit that after which something becomes art? Before which it's not? Still nothing more that digital farkling around no matter how long it takes. No technology, no art it would seem. Which lends some credence to the notion that the technology is at least as much art as what someone does with it.

And just what is that creature in the middle of the sky? A donkey? A wildebeest? A bandicoot?

Johnny Best

So Sidney the Artist starts this thread wondering if digital art is art. Days go by and people reply with their thoughts and the he post his 75 hours of work with Sidney the Artist watermark all over it.
Will have to make a metal note on not responding to his questions next time.
...bob, Bandicoot.

Attachments

• bandicoots.jpg
    bandicoots.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 331

Sidney

Is there some time limit that after which something becomes art? Before which it's not? Still nothing more that digital farkling around no matter how long it takes. No technology, no art it would seem. Which lends some credence to the notion that the technology is at least as much art as what someone does with it.

And just what is that creature in the middle of the sky? A donkey? A wildebeest? A bandicoot?

It's a donkey.....customer owns a coffee bean company and wants lots of detail:)

Sidney

I'm always trying to learn and improve, so other's opinions always matter. It's how I grow and improve my way of thinking anyway.

For the most part I agree. Broad reaching can be bad. However, if I don't have some type of protection, then I may not either want to share or try to improve and set myself apart from someone else, if someone else can just blatantly take advantage of it. To me there is some give and take. I firmly believe if someone "creates" something that is useful to someone, that they should be compensated for that.

I'm kinda curious as to why you think that? While I can't speak for everyone, I can draw analog or digitally. I can embroider analog and digitally(mainly digitizing in this respect). Yes, I do prefer to do things digitally. However, I can do both and I would suspect that there are others. May not be the majority, but I would say that there are others.

Speaking as a drawer, there is not one significant difference between my drawing using a pen and paper versus using the Wacom pen and Cintiq. Not in any way that I would conclude meaningful (maybe I'm just not that sophisticated of a drawer though). Now, I'm not a painter, so there may be a fundamental difference there between analog and digital. How I use the sketch tool in Ai, is exactly how I would use a regular pen doodling on hotel writing pad (I can't afford the good sketch books).

Just a question for those who want to comment:)

Sidney

In the thread I stated "It would be cool so see some digital art from you digital artists:)". The watermarks are part of my business formalities and it is no more than that. Thank you.

Sidney

Thanks everyone, Truly!...being in an industry that is "Visual" to say the least, is a great business to be in and I wouldn't trade it in for another profession:)

Johnny Best

I realize what the watermarks are for Sidney. I just felt used that someone like you, who calls himself "TheArtist" considers digital art as art would ask if it was.
Not upset or anything like that. But next time I drive up to your house and you ask me if that is a car I am driving I will give a different answer to fit the tone of the conversation, since you already know the answer.
But your an artist and eccentric.

Sidney

I realize what the watermarks are for Sidney. I just felt used that someone like you, who calls himself "TheArtist" considers digital art as art would ask if it was.
Not upset or anything like that. But next time I drive up to your house and you ask me if that is a car I am driving I will give a different answer to fit the tone of the conversation, since you already know the answer.
But your an artist and eccentric.

Johnny, I understand.
I have been a professional artist for a long time and never planned on calling myself Sidney the artist, I am just an artist. It was after years of calling customers and saying this is Sidney the guy that's going to do a mural etc and them responding "who.....sidney who?". Me responding " I'm Sidney and going to do art for your boss"...and them responding Oh, Sidney The Artist, yes hold on a moment etc..etc. In addition to that, potential customers would call and for some reason, ask for Sidney the artist. Well, one day I told myself, I might as well buy the name. If you met me you would probably see that I one of the lease eccentric artist:)....I am a business man.
Thank you, Sidney L Muniz

Last edited:

Sidney

Here's some of my digital art. Done in Corel draw.

Hello JS,

I went out of town for business when I posted and did not reply to your comment and pics. Wow, you are no joke!! :) Awesome and top-notch art & graphics. I wish I knew how you did that car....all your work is exceptional.
Thanks for sharing,
Sidney

Johnny Best

Just watch Moana, the digital HD animated movie by Disney with my granddaughter. Beautiful colors and entertaining to get my vote for a true art form.

Sidney

I think a lot of it's my mom's influence, she has always embraced tech and she always considered digital to be an art form. Different tools yes, but still a form of real art. So I've always had that type of mentality as an influence.

While I've always been a sketcher (and still am, all my stock designs that I create, all start off as sketches, albeit all digital now using a Cintiq), I have always been more of a needle and thread guy. So my programs are going to be slightly different then the ones listed above.

While the artistry used to be when I first learned all this was you had to hand sketch the design (as well as markers for sequence, colors, angles etc) with a fabric pencil and then start stitching. Now, don't really have to do the hand sketching part anymore, have to know how to use the tools and tweak the settings to achieve the same results.

But despite that change, it still requires that knowledge and flair within the confines of the digital/mechanical realm to achieve the artistic effect.

I think it all boils down to the knowledge, flair of personality that is used, regardless of the tools, low tech, high tech, doesn't matter. At least not to me.

Well said....it does take flair of personality, knowledge etc. The good thing is that we all have great tools for creating art, graphics and other visual elements. Thanks, Sidney