• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Little help from L5x0 owners

jayhawksigns

Its no secret that we have had our "fair" share of issues with our L560, most seem to have been taken care of and the last and probably longest issue isn't getting the traction it needs in getting fixed probably because it hasn't been reported very much. So, I'm asking all of you if you would check on your printer when you are using it, and it honestly takes no more then glancing at the maintenance kit through the window while the printer is running.

I pulled out the kit to get a better picture, but the ink squiggle there on the left side of the kit (bottom of picture) shouldn't be there and I have two. In person you can also tell better that the wiping material has been bunched up. Both of those items can be seen with a quick check while the printer is running.

7o2ZFbdaha6dcoDZVVvYODNmzDsN7B6ODe7IS0DKLlHLE1a7LFozam_YXG82kcftsl5rSodY90VqjOcVdAAFyXHJwyBl7Z9gUm3ynkwlwr3IaisBKLsoCgL8JK8aVBLRqYPCuQr6fm5L5u5X0lvGdpd41BXZy76_tzesf755Szgwak4drMhIKe5Blj43Fv9v5nDReAszfh5G8YlSsM-lmKYc5KzWgMRbrJ6mKA8d2gKZQgv4U_sQUd-Ic1NV1aa00LapN2RNUBY8WCa6i-8Zh18oknBBxOdAZXF6MI70lRlS8lI2D0-VCNY5F-p-Nz-QdVp3cVeJREfCBHyJhY37lsSYiDsZVjXd2C6GfDjQa_NCgg01xr3-hZI6t0GB75a4ce1t2ctBypsdowGYC3gyq76DB9Dyx-gkGRHVWEIG_EqTCercO6UQ_3Ej5vQFpaRZnQGk5JrAG7TSHde994SEuvFvFy2IZ8tzDiwWGmdTe1F8kmbKOzvbWS-BLkekzcGWWyTw6NHkN91vM8nQOqsS4NHYP8pJWrOraSF9sXJHrZ6ArfU-e7SqTSSP0784ikx3t5qVdzEK40j6csy_djJhbV5d2lVjy7dvzF_nkPFaGcZ36pVmeZU1PROmifJ6UyFIbHFeuQ0UDUUA6ifCcKkGEXS6PBDUNhyEB_iTt5lKph8=w889-h667-no

The other way to tell, is watch the first pass of a job because that is when it'll do what it shouldn't. On the return trip, the printer moves the maintenance kit out like its wiping the heads, only the heads aren't there yet. Here is a link showing what it looks like in motion.

It doesn't throw a code. It doesn't stop the print job. And honestly it only makes a marginally different sound that what you would know to listen for. The excessively loud fans that HP packed into the printer helps to mask the noise.

So for anyone who checks, thanks for taking a look. Worse case you waste a few seconds checking but you get my thanks for looking. It doesn't happen every time, and with our workflow, it at best happens once maybe twice a week.

Last edited:

jayhawksigns

Not that I have seen, but what is going to be effected long term with the printer. We don't upgrade often, hell this printer replaced an L25500. My concern is that it is not designed to operate that way and what is going to happen once the warranty it up and something caused by this happens.

Joe House

Hmmm... I get the point, but this is wiping the heads, which are replaced on a regular basis. Is this still the original maintenance cartridge? I wonder if a new one would do that. I'll print something and watch what happens. BTW - the link says that the video is unavailable.

jayhawksigns

Third maintenance kit, second entire maintenance assembly piece, second encoder strip, and third version of firmware. Published the video, hopefully its working now.

Joe House

Well, I have a 365, not a 500 series. Parts are the same, but the firmware is different. Mine does not do that on the first pass, nor any others that I observed. I also do not have that marking on the cleaning cloth.
Not the same machine, but similar. I hope this helps.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I can recommend that you call HP and get a case number everytime this happens. That way you have a track record through out your warranty.

Who did you buy this from, are they going to bat for you to get a RMA on this machine or a Level 3 tech to find the solution?

jayhawksigns

Grimco was the supplier we bought through. Had good experience with them on the L25500 and we do a bit of business with them on other sign products. Don't want to say too much about the conversations we have had today, hopefully we have something straight by next week.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We bought through Toryon and Jake Becker fought tooth and nail for us to make sure HP made it right which they did. We got a 365 to replace a 360 that was down for 4 weeks and our brand new 570 had a defect that couldn't be fixed on site so they quickly shipped us a replacement.

Sign.ed

I'm in my second maintenance kit on my 570, didn't notice it on the first kit, and will check after this much needed and very long weekend. If anything I feel like it might be a maint. cart issue, but that's just my Sunday patio thoughts.
af993a214cc39e55229a372ab0dcc15b.jpg

Also, he's not allowed to drive until he's 50. [emoji15][emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayhawksigns

So the tech is in today, six boxes overnighted UPS, replacing everything that has been replaced at least once already. Will be running the machine with the side cover off while the tech is here so that we can get a video of the issue from the other side, apparently it will show something my original video didn't.

Hope that it decides to be as cranky as it was on Friday. Sent three jobs after we set the appointment for today, and two of them caused a strike with the maintenance kit.