• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material preference for the Big Squeegee

Choose the material you would prefer for the Big Squeegee

• Aluminum

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • High Impact Plastic

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • It don't matter to me

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I prefer the old style. Don't make changes

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I've been making the Big Squeegee for 10 years. It is time to do an upgrade of the product and I need to see what to expect from the market. I do have some competition that is making them out of aluminum so, I would like to hear from folks that have purchased those as to how satisfied they were with the aluminum version. However, the new Big Squeegee will be made in the same form as it has been. It will have some new features that will make it a more versatile tool.

thewvsignguy

For me, I've only used the BS so I can't say what the benefits of the Aluminum are.

What is the additional weight of the Aluminum ones

What is the additional cost of the aluminum ones

The HIP seems to work well for what we do, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can see trying to make improvements but on what?

^ Same. Never used anything but BS. Does this mean you won't be able to combine 2-3 small BS to make larger sizes like your were planning to do with aluminum? That was intriguing.

Vinyldog

I have two that I've been using for about eight years now and they still work great. Not sure how you could improve much on that.
Possibly flames or a wing. That makes everything go faster.
Or a more exotic name. El Granda Squeegero?

Last edited:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
The aluminum will not change the weight or the price as far as I know.

The tools are made of PVC now so the HIP will be less likely to crack, break or warp. The change will add a handle the entire length and provide an attachment point to add an extension handle for floor graphics.

The new design will allow a roll mount to placed anywhere on the squeegee so the roll stays on the tool. This will make wall graphics easier to work with.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
^ Same. Never used anything but BS. Does this mean you won't be able to combine 2-3 small BS to make larger sizes like your were planning to do with aluminum? That was intriguing.
You will be able to combine 2 or more squeegees with the new design. I'll also attempt to get the plastic tools to match the aluminum tools(wings).

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Use whatever works the best, lasts the longest, and costs the least. Form follows function.

Do you have any pictures or sketches or anything?

TheSnowman

If it's the same weight and cost, I'd probably go aluminum. Mine are still going strong probably 8 or so years later, but I did bust the corner off of one of my big felt squeegees at some point, probably when it fell over or I laid it down too hard.

TXFB.INS

If it's the same weight and cost, I'd probably go aluminum. Mine are still going strong probably 8 or so years later, but I did bust the corner off of one of my big felt squeegees at some point, probably when it fell over or I laid it down too hard.

same here, the corner on the base piece (white material) has been broken off

as long as they function the same and continue to be a main part of the everyday usage then I am open to either option

NateF

I cracked the PVC in ours at some point. Not a defect in the BS, but just that we dropped it. I think aluminum would be more resistant to cracking, but also concerned that it might bend more easily if dropped on the corner. PVC might survive smaller drops better without being damaged. Since it's important that the felt edge be straight, maybe the aluminum under the felt would need to be replaceable in case it gets bent or dinged.

Another thought - more than once I've had a panel laid on a table, applied a print with the Big Squeegee, and then accidentally bumped the face of the new sign with the big squeegee as I carelessly lifted it off the table. Since it's made from PVC with no hard edges, no harm done. I do the same thing with our 54" sooper ruler, and I damage the sign. So maybe PVC is a better material in those situations.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I plan to cover any part of the aluminum that could damage the print, However that is no guarantee that a corner will bump it. If the corners get covered, it will interfere with joining two lengths. The bending concern has been addressed and I'm pretty sure the grade of aluminum that we use will be pretty hard to dent or bend from a drop. If you run over it with a truck...well, that's another story.

I don't want to put my eggs in one basket so I will go for both. The plastic will not be PVC. A high impact plastic will be used.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
The die for aluminum has now been submitted for construction. It will take about 30-60 days to get product. The aluminum version will be slightly heavier than the current tools.

phototec

The die for aluminum has now been submitted for construction. It will take about 30-60 days to get product. The aluminum version will be slightly heavier than the current tools.

Ok, the new version is made from extruded aluminum, right?

Can we see a drawing of what the heck this new contraption will look like?

Is it FLAT or the cradle style or a combo of both?

phototec

I've been making the Big Squeegee for 10 years. It is time to do an upgrade of the product and I need to see what to expect from the market. I do have some competition that is making them out of aluminum so, I would like to hear from folks that have purchased those as to how satisfied they were with the aluminum version. However, the new Big Squeegee will be made in the same form as it has been. It will have some new features that will make it a more versatile tool.

T give you a educated answer I need to know what your completion has to offer, so what is this aluminum competitor you are tailing about above?